Good breakdown of Offense series | The Boneyard

Good breakdown of Offense series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UConn Blog has been killing it in analysis lately. We've never really had a source for such an in-depth look at the X's and O's aside from BL's stuff which, while great, is still more overview-based than series-based. A great read and gave me motivation to go back and watch the game (sober) so I can take a less emotional look at what happened and if there's any reason to hope. At all.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a good breakdown of the offense... and it only confirmed my feelings that offense will be limited with Whitmer at QB. There is a lot of blame being thrown at the O-line and much of it is deserved, but Whitmer was to blame as well. As the analysis confirmed, Whitmer kept running out of the pocket unnecessarily and you could tell as the game progressed he was rushing everything even when he had time, he was as the analysis stated, "seeing ghosts." Whitmer also fumbled a snap, and on his one interception it really highlighted the fact that he is an undersized QB.

Even though I am cheering for Whitmer (and the whole team) to just light it up every time he steps on the field, it is starting to become apparent that at the end of the day Whitmer is undersized, not fast, has relatively poor mechanics, and limited arm strength. Whitmer has a limited ceiling and even at his best is just an an average QB.

I know our options are limited right now at the QB position b/c it is in the best interest of the program's future to redshirt both our freshman qbs and we don't know how much better CC is then Whitmer if he even is better, but I would like to see CC play a few series and even though I just said it would be better to have both freshmen redshirt I still think it maybe worthwhile to have Kivon Taylor play a few series as well. KT has good height, he is a very fast athletic qb with what seems like decent arm strength. Having a fast and athletic qb would help the offense when the pocket collapses, and would help the run game as well by making the defenses play more honest.

If Boyle seems to be the future at the QB position why not get the most out of Kivon Taylor right now and make the competition for the position that much more competitive by having KT get some on field experience this year.

Reaction Score
Very well done. It would be great if they would do a chat for the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Being there I thought the turning point of the game was when the defense got pushed down field following the UConn's 90 yard drive on their second possession. It seemed like the body language of both teams changed at that point. If the defense could have gotten off the field fairly quickly there and given the ball right back to the offense the rest of the game may have been different. It seemed like any time UConn might gain some momentum a mistake would happen to squelch it.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a good breakdown of the offense... and it only confirmed my feelings that offense will be limited with Whitmer at QB. There is a lot of blame being thrown at the O-line and much of it is deserved, but Whitmer was to blame as well. As the analysis confirmed, Whitmer kept running out of the pocket unnecessarily and you could tell as the game progressed he was rushing everything even when he had time, he was as the analysis stated, "seeing ghosts." Whitmer also fumbled a snap, and on his one interception it really highlighted the fact that he is an undersized QB.

Even though I am cheering for Whitmer (and the whole team) to just light it up every time he steps on the field, it is starting to become apparent that at the end of the day Whitmer is undersized, not fast, has relatively poor mechanics, and limited arm strength. Whitmer has a limited ceiling and even at his best is just an an average QB.

I know our options are limited right now at the QB position b/c it is in the best interest of the program's future to redshirt both our freshman qbs and we don't know how much better CC is then Whitmer if he even is better, but I would like to see CC play a few series and even though I just said it would be better to have both freshmen redshirt I still think it maybe worthwhile to have Kivon Taylor play a few series as well. KT has good height, he is a very fast athletic qb with what seems like decent arm strength. Having a fast and athletic qb would help the offense when the pocket collapses, and would help the run game as well by making the defenses play more honest.

If Boyle seems to be the future at the QB position why not get the most out of Kivon Taylor right now and make the competition for the position that much more competitive by having KT get some on field experience this year.

I agree with your (and their) analysis of Whitmer. He's good enough when playing well to keep a good team on that level but he hasn't shown the ability to lift a mediocre team on his shoulders. Just a terrible time for the OL injury as he really needed to exorcise those demons from last year and instead got shaky under pressure.

I don't know if CC could be the kind of decision maker and leader who can prepare the team well enough during the week, make good decisions on the field and also make up for the lack of clarity and consistency that seems to define our offensive line's performance. Because GDL has been so abysmal they literally need a coach on the field to make adjustments as they go. That's probably too much to ask but if CW can't make better decisions he might be worth a look.

I hate trying to pick apart players at this point because everything is impacted by coaching and ours has undermined the progress of this offense and it's players. No offense performs well without organization, competent blocking and timely adjustments. With GDL still there its going to be a long uphill battle for Weist, one that I don't envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom