good breakdown of Capital Prep's Kahlil Dukes by espn | The Boneyard

good breakdown of Capital Prep's Kahlil Dukes by espn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Downtown Hartford just on the northern side of 84 near the meadows

Reaction Score
Nice write-up.

One mistake that analysts make...not implying the one who wrote the article made this mistake...is to conclude a combo guard who is asked to shoulder the scoring for his HS team, does not have solid PG skills or upside. Now I'm not saying KD does have such skills or not. I haven't see him play, nor did I watch the clips yet.

A perfect example is RB. Some who watched him play in HS concluded that he was more a undersized 2G, while others (at least one) said he would be a very good PG and was very good at distributing the ball. Marcus Williams was another combo guard who's reviews widely varied from scorer to true lead guard and we all found out he was one of our most balanced pass/score PGs we've ever had. He saw the floor well and was good at running the half-court offense, but could turn on the scoring switch when needed.

I'm far from any expert, but over the years, I've watched some HS and freshman guards and was able to detect that some simply had poor lead guard instincts and it wasn't just their scoring role masking their PG abilities.

A good example of an undersized 2G was Chris Smith, for those who go back a ways. He was pretty much a flat out scorer and was an average at best passer/floor general. He was a good fit for that team though. Ben Gordon is another undersized 2G who simply didn't have and still doesn't have very good PG instincts.

The fact that the writer said that Dukes was as good passer makes me believe that he'll develop into a solid scoring PG in college. He might not end up the prototypical set-up and run the team PG, but could end up a good drive and dish/kick-out PG that often thrives well in a JC coached type system. Kemba was that type of PG. Boatright seems like another, though already has shown superior passing skills compared to Kemba. Bazz fits that mold somewhat as well, but has always shown some mature floor general qualities from day one.

Future team need and ships available aside, I'd love to see them land KD. At a minimum he sounds like a John Gwynn "Microwave" instant-offense type player that would be an asset to any program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
kid is racking up the mid major offers now. got VT recently. Rice as well, thats cusa right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom