Good bets in recruiting? | The Boneyard

Good bets in recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams, Morgan Tuck, Mikala Johnson, Caroline Doty, Brittany Hunter: All these women, I believe, joined the Huskies program after suffering knee injuries. Doty already was in the UConn fold (had already ‘verbaled’) when her (first) injury occurred, I think. But UConn tendered a bb scholarship to Hunter even though it knew she was damaged goods. I believe this was also the case with Williams, Tuck and Johnson. (Corrections welcome.)

Is it unusual for schools to take such ‘gambles’ on wounded players? Or does UConn stand out in this regard?

Are such gambles a basically a sentimental action, or a good bet? Or a dumb one?

All these players were exceptionally good prospects before their injuries. That makes the payoff of a winning bet more attractive, but how does that weigh against the odds of the player recovering sufficiently to fulfill her original potential?

Hunter couldn’t, nor could Doty, although both were able to play well enough to earn significant minutes on an elite team. Tuck so far is in that realm too, but still has a chance to totally recover. Johnson couldn’t do that while at UConn, but has become a standout player at Wisconsin. Still, who knows if she’s the player she might have been sans injury?

Brianna Banks, Mel Thomas, Kalana Greene, Nicole Wolff, Sue Bird and Shea Ralph suffered ACLs while at UConn. (Are there others? Were such injuries much rarer in the earlier era?) Nicole never approached her earlier potential. Shea, while still an outstanding player after the injury – which in time became multiple – had her career snuffed out. To me, it’s hard to assess the injury’s effect on Mel, but perhaps she would still be playing for bucks if it hadn’t occurred.

That leaves only KG and Sue as clearly successful survivors of such injuries . Out of 11 injured players, two apparently recovered completely, one (Mikala) perhaps is on the road to join them, four were robbed of some of their pre-injury potential (Shea, Nicole, Brittany and Caroline -- and Mel probably would round that into a quintet).

That leaves Gabby, Morgan and BB: What will be their post-injury fates?

Does UConn make too many recruiting bets on the wounded; are they worth the risk? You have to consider that even if full potential is never realized, disappointing BYers' lofty projections, there still can be valuable contributions from such kids.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does UConn make too many recruiting bets on the wounded; are they worth the risk? You have to consider that even if full potential is never realized, disappointing BYers' lofty projections, there still can be valuable contributions from such kids.
Geno does recruit a certain type of player that I think he would like to have in the program even if they don't ever play. I think a lot of players fall into that group. He misses every once in awhile, but for the most part it plays out that way. So if he sees a player he thinks will fit in with the program and enhance the program, I don't think it matters if they have injuries coming in.

Reaction Score
I really feel that Brianna Banks is on her way back to her pre injury form. It often takes a year + to get back the confidence in the knee and to play with the aggressiveness that they had before the injury. Some players more, some less. But I saw signs that Brianna will once again be the force that she was on the way to becoming when she got hurt. I wish her the best...

Reaction Score
This is a very interesting subject to me since I am a Duke fan and ACL injuries have taken a big toll on recent Duke players. Amber Henson, Katie Heckman, Becca Greenwell and (I believe) Kianna Holland (since transferred) had ACL injuries before arriving at Duke. Richa Jackson and Alexis Jones had ACL injuries after they had matriculated. Of these, Henson, Greenwell and Heckman have had two (or more) such injuries. Henson has had 6 surgeries, did not play for her first two years and only played sporadically this year. Heckman had two ACL episodes and never played at Duke. Jackson had started 19 consecutive games as a sophomore when she had her injury. She did not even play until January of her junior year and, to my mind, never achieved the level of play she exhibited before the injury. The jury is out on Jones, Greenwell and Holland; hopefully they will return at 100%. It is interesting to note that Duke continued to red shirt Greenwell last year even with the substantial attrition they suffered at the guard spot. Perhaps they feel that it is best not to rush the recovery period. If that's the case, then Jones may red shirt next year.

Duke has also had serious leg injuries other than ACLs. Gray fractured her knee cap twice and was out for large segments of her junior and senior years. Williams sustained a stress fracture in her freshman year that limited her significantly. The stress fracture was also a negative during her sophomore season when she was unable to practice on a sustained basis. Williams seemed be getting to full strength toward the end of last year.

In general, it appears to me that it's very difficult to get back to previous levels of play after sustaining serious leg and knee injuries. Admittedly, this observation is based on a very small sample size.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck tore the ACL in her left knee in June after her freshman year of HS. She has recovered nicely from that injury and surgery. The cartilage problems she has experienced at UConn and that caused her most recent procedure is in her right knee.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am not aware that Nicole Wolff had physical problems after her return. It is true that she did not play like her former self, but by all accounts her practices were excellent, as was her defense in games (except against Ivory Latta!). But her outside shooting failed her, and she tried to do everything perfectly and ended up putting a huge amount of pressure on herself.

I thought everyone (including both Geno and herself) believed that her post-injury problems were attributable to a lack of confidence and aggressiveness (she lacked a willingness to make mistakes while being aggressive) rather than to any lingering physical limitation.

I recall that for at least one season, Geno had her start every game based on her performance in practice, and ended up taking her out as soon as it was apparent that she was making no contribution on offense. That may have been to show the younger players how much importance he attached to practicing well.

Reaction Score
PACO: very interested in your thread as I'm one who almost expects that injuries will happen. Does Sadie Edwards belong on your list? Don't believe she had a.t. as serious as an ACL, but I continue to be under the impression that she missed some significant games due to injury her senior year.

Reaction Score
PS: I've never been able to find any stats on Edwards, by the way....and not much on Nurse. Anybody have a.t. there???

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I really feel that Brianna Banks is on her way back to her pre injury form. It often takes a year + to get back the confidence in the knee and to play with the aggressiveness that they had before the injury. Some players more, some less. But I saw signs that Brianna will once again be the force that she was on the way to becoming when she got hurt. I wish her the best...
Brianna looked physically ready, it appeared that she was making mental errors, and a lot of bad or silly fouling while defending . I have a Gd feeling about her too. She had taken that sophomore leap and was looking terrific. I really hope she becomes a key contributor for us- for her sake!

Reaction Score
Brianna looked physically ready, it appeared that she was making mental errors, and a lot of bad or silly fouling while defending . I have a Gd feeling about her too. She had taken that sophomore leap and was looking terrific. I really hope she becomes a key contributor for us- for her sake!

GENO: exactly....word for word spot on, particularly your closing hope.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People forget that Banks had a serious ankle injury this past year that got so bad there was some question if she would play again during the year. Think back to Bria and her junior year and you can understand that kind of injury can just mess with your head. I think Stokes also suffered through those 'non-serious' injuries both her freshman and sophomore seasons - they just derail progress and even if you get back 100% you feel like the team has moved on and you are playing catch-up.
On pre freshman injuries - I think most coaches feel a responsibility to honor offers they have made and certainly once a player signs they have a guarantee for the first year. A coach might back off from actually giving an offer if they haven't yet and a player suffers a really serious injury, but probably not if they had already gotten to the point of serious interest. Very few programs actually have 15 scholarship players so they aren't losing anything with the 'gamble'.

And you can take it to the next level as well - a number of players were drafted into the W with injuries that meant they couldn't play the first year - and that is an 11/12 player roster so tighter. It is also 'professional' so the GM is actually trying to balance the books.
The medical issue is always a gamble and it continues through the playing career for everyone.

Reaction Score
We also had Jean Clark whom I share a birthday with that had shin splint problems. She wound up transferring to UT-Corpus Cristi.

Reaction Score
Though not ACL, Keirsten Walters injured during her freshman year and eventually had to give up her short basketball career.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Kia Wright also had ACL injury and Geno not only honored the scholarship offering, but supported her transfer.

Morgan Valley, though not ACL and was not injured pre-UConn, had never realized her potential due to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom