Good, Bad, Ugly | The Boneyard

Good, Bad, Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Win is a win, especially on the road in the BE. My humble take:

Good: Jeremy Lamb...have got to find ways to get him more shot opportunities, his efficiency on offense is off the charts.
Defensive effort in 2nd half: USF was popping 3s from all over the place in the 1st half, they tightened it up and apart from a couple of prayer 3s at the end, the D was the difference in the 2nd half.

Bad: Napier's off the ball defense. I've noticed this since last year, he outright loses his man several times a game while ball-watching. On that alley-oop in the 1st half last night, he wasn't within 10 feet of his man.
Foul shooting: mostly a result of our two worst shooters basically whiffing, but Lamb, Napier and Boat all missed FTs in end-game situation. Have to clean this up or will cost a game or two down the line.

Ugly: Alex Oriakhi's offense. Tell me you weren't wincing whenever he got the ball in the post. He has regressed (as discussed ad infinitim on this board), but he should at least be good for rebounding. Somehow have to get this guy's attitude to change, and fast. Too important a player once BE brawls start to be getting 1 rebound.
Note to UConn guards: on fast break opportunities, don't pass to any of our big men unless it's an alley oop...it's a turnover waiting to happen (cue, Roscoe Smith 3 on 1)

Reaction Score
Alex didn't look bad in the post last night. He had a bunny on a really good move, and a 3 point play. He also looked confident. His problems last night came from all those fouls he picked up. Most were on him, but at least one was a flop ala Duke by the defender.

Which reminds me, I haven't seen any team outside of Duke flop more than USF.

Donato must have thought he was watching a play on Broadway because he fell for it every time.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Alex didn't look bad in the post last night. He had a bunny on a really good move, and a 3 point play. He also looked confident. His problems last night came from all those fouls he picked up. Most were on him, but at least one was a flop ala Duke by the defender.

Donato must have thought he was watching a play on Broadway because he fell for it every time.
+1

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Absolutely agree with this. The line is ugly, for sure ... but I didn't see this "awful" player who "wasn't trying."

He had a nice jumper from the top of the key which I think is a weapon for him ... and had a couple nice spin moves ... one was negated by a terrible call. And that other flop while he was backing down was a joke. The key for him though, is to not let those calls get in his head.

Reaction Score
Win is a win, especially on the road in the BE. My humble take:

Good: Jeremy Lamb...have got to find ways to get him more shot opportunities, his efficiency on offense is off the charts.
Defensive effort in 2nd half: USF was popping 3s from all over the place in the 1st half, they tightened it up and apart from a couple of prayer 3s at the end, the D was the difference in the 2nd half.

Bad: Napier's off the ball defense. I've noticed this since last year, he outright loses his man several times a game while ball-watching. On that alley-oop in the 1st half last night, he wasn't within 10 feet of his man.
Foul shooting: mostly a result of our two worst shooters basically whiffing, but Lamb, Napier and Boat all missed FTs in end-game situation. Have to clean this up or will cost a game or two down the line.

Ugly: Alex Oriakhi's offense. Tell me you weren't wincing whenever he got the ball in the post. He has regressed (as discussed ad infinitim on this board), but he should at least be good for rebounding. Somehow have to get this guy's attitude to change, and fast. Too important a player once BE brawls start to be getting 1 rebound.
Note to UConn guards: on fast break opportunities, don't pass to any of our big men unless it's an alley oop...it's a turnover waiting to happen (cue, Roscoe Smith 3 on 1)

Additionally:

Good: Tyler played an excellent all around game.

Ugly: Roscoe's on the 3 on 1 break and his feeble 3 point shot.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
The stats don't show it, but UConn opened things up in the second half with 10 offense rebounds, versus 2 by USF. USF is a good rebounding team, and for AD, and TO, to get 7 OR's really helped to take the air out and shift momentum. UConn won on the little things, a tipped ball here, a steal there, and all in all believing that they were going to pull this one out. I saw the Cleveland State game, and USF is not a bad team and has certainly progressed since November. This was their first home loss, and UConn traditionally has had a tough time playing there (suffering their only opening loss in the NCAA's on that floor).
I hope that the team realizes now that they have a long way to go. There was just too much dribbling and one and one offensive that led to bad mistakes. Both RB and JL were picked by Collins (who by the way really was an impressive point, minus shooting) because they had not taken care of the ball. Of course, it's still December so things will hopefully work out, but I'll take this win anytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom