good article by Katz about drummond situation, clears up a lot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

good article by Katz about drummond situation, clears up a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Wolf enrolled in school he was 280 lbs I can tell you that. The hole summer he was working his butt off, been in the summer classes and worked out every day. He had a chance to see his family in Germany for the whole summer but decided to visit them only for 2 weeks and wanted to go back to UConn again. Now he weighs 240 lbs and JC hasn't seen him during the last months on the field. He is FULLY committed to the Huskies and would never ever think about to leave that school although he knows he will play behind AD and AO. C'mon guys, I really don't understand why some ppl are saying he made a mistake. Honestly, I can not wait any longer to see Wolf again on the court since he lost that much Lbs... A 7-foot 1 Wolf like in this youtube clip would be great!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
When Wolf enrolled in school he was 280 lbs I can tell you that. The hole summer he was working his butt off, been in the summer classes and worked out every day. He had a chance to see his family in Germany for the whole summer but decided to visit them only for 2 weeks and wanted to go back to UConn again. Now he weighs 240 lbs and JC hasn't seen him during the last months on the field. He is FULLY committed to the Huskies and would never ever think about to leave that school although he knows he will play behind AD and AO. C'mon guys, I really don't understand why some ppl are saying he made a mistake. Honestly, I can not wait any longer to see Wolf again on the court since he lost that much Lbs... A 7-foot 1 Wolf like in this youtube clip would be great!

That's great news that he's lost weight and is so committed to being a Husky. During the little bit of time he got last season, he showed a few glimpses of some good passing and court vision skills, but he was very slow getting up and down the court. The speed issue raised big concerns as he did not seem to be able to play at the speed necessary for the Big East. The hope has been, just as you pointed out, that he had gained weight after some injury and that if he dedicated himself, he could get the speed needed to contribute at this level. I'm hoping that he can, but the signing of AD will limit his playing time.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the insight. Seeing as you seem to know a thing or two about Wolf, can you clear up this rumor about his GPA?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm happy Wolf is staying. He's earned the right. It demonstrates the kid wants to be part of the UConn program. And if GermanHusky is correct, practices are going to more difficult in the post than most games.

As far as UConn's and JC's treatment of Wolf: the pessimist will argue that they were trying to ship the kid out and backed off because of apr fears. The optimist will say they were offering Wolf the option of choosing between programs and letting the kid decide. I'm down for this option and it was not a bad offer for Wolf. He g0t to chose his destiny. I hope he demonstrates to the coaches, team mates, fans, but most of all to himself, it was the correct choice.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight. Seeing as you seem to know a thing or two about Wolf, can you clear up this rumor about his GPA?
Not board matter imo. Let the players personal lives stay out of the public.

Reaction Score
Wolf seems to love college life, and I know he's tight with AO and Roscoe and those guys. Maybe he's not solely focused on playing 35 minutes a game. Maybe he likes the situation he's in. If he wants to stay he should stay. There are worse ways to go through college than riding pine at a top 5 hoops program.

Some of the comments in this thread are ******* gross.

(formerly rcatalan)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
maybe Wolf has aspirations to play professionally, and he thinks Jim Calhoun is the best man to prepare him for that

it's not always about playing time

I also think he enjoyed being on the UConn bench last year. Not going to get that same experience at RI or Towson

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
"He's better than most think, but with a mother load of talent ahead of him that will likely prevent him from seeing much of the floor this season, his development will be impacted."

this is exactly why i think he shouldve moved on. i would want to become the best player i can be and you cant do that sitting on the bench. practice is great but nothing compares to real game experience.

Real game experience in the A10 might not be a better way to develop than practicing against future NBA big men every day.

For what it's worth, as long as he is a hard worker and is going to help make the team better by practicing hard and knowing his role (team chemistry), I want him on the bench.

Reaction Score
Good or bad comments do not change his chance for PT or his skill level. People that are put off by fans suggesting he should play elsewhere are clueless as to how any high level D1 school operates. If you do not like it you would be trading UCONN to getting into the post season and competing on a high level- throw away your NC gear and become a fan of UWK.

These comments are the reality of having a top program. Maybe he will improve and stick around- it certainly is possible if he continues to improve that by his junior year he could see some decent PT. Hilton did not play much until his junior year if I recall but I have to believe he had more upside at this point then Wolf- at this point so does Bradley.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
In the end what we really need from Wolf and Bradley is to have them stick around and be solid big men by the time they are juniors or seniors. That way we won't need to rely on a guy like AD or AO to come in and play 30 minutes a game as a freshman. That way a 4 star type center can come in and take a year to learn the system before becoming a main guy on offense.

There's a chance that AO and AD both leave after this year. At that point, who do we have left to play down low? We can pencil TO in as a solid 4 year player. Solid but probably unspectacular. Maybe a Gavin Edwards type. Unless we pull in another AD type for next year, we're going to need one of Bradley or Wolf to step up and be a serviceable player. I'll take my chances on guys like Wolf and Bradley that seem to be working hard over a complete question mark that an incoming freshman not named Andre would likely be.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
In the end what we really need from Wolf and Bradley is to have them stick around and be solid big men by the time they are juniors or seniors. That way we won't need to rely on a guy like AD or AO to come in and play 30 minutes a game as a freshman. That way a 4 star type center can come in and take a year to learn the system before becoming a main guy on offense.

There's a chance that AO and AD both leave after this year. At that point, who do we have left to play down low? We can pencil TO in as a solid 4 year player. Solid but probably unspectacular. Maybe a Gavin Edwards type. Unless we pull in another AD type for next year, we're going to need one of Bradley or Wolf to step up and be a serviceable player. I'll take my chances on guys like Wolf and Bradley that seem to be working hard over a complete question mark that an incoming freshman not named Andre would likely be.

+1

Although there are some interesting 2012 and 2013 big men prospects, I think it will be important to have a guy like Bradley and Wolf around when some new big guys come in.

Reaction Score
The guy wants to be here enough said. He wants to play under a coach who puts big men into the NBA or at least some where professionally and if he doesnt pan out then he can still help the team in practice and push, AD and AO. You need studs on the team but also need guys who sacrifice playing time, you need the Donnell Beverlys, Antric Klaibers, and the Shamon Tooles types on the team. If AO and/or AD get into foul trouble or need rest he could be that guy to step up, he can come in once in a while and can afford to pick up some fouls where as AO and AD cant at least early in the game. I commend this guy for wanting to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
From following his twitter, I get the impression that he just really enjoys being at UConn and the friends he's made since being here

Reaction Score
Good or bad comments do not change his chance for PT or his skill level. People that are put off by fans suggesting he should play elsewhere are clueless as to how any high level D1 school operates.

Could not possibily disagree more with this. I'm fully aware of how filthy college revenue sports are, and it's still unseemly for some random fan on a message board read by players and parents to suggest that a kid should leave the program that he committed to and wants to be at.

Reaction Score
Could not possibily disagree more with this. I'm fully aware of how filthy college revenue sports are, and it's still unseemly for some random fan on a message board read by players and parents to suggest that a kid should leave the program that he committed to and wants to be at.

Agreed, and for posters to try to disguse it as them they're thinking of Wolf or whoever's best interest and where they would get PT is comical. The only thing they're concerned with is what player can be recruited to take that scholarship.

Reaction Score
Wolf definitely has a unique skill set for a big guy that can prove helpful down the road. An issue for him is that JC usually likes a big and athletic center for defensive and rebounding purposes. Wolf appears to have skill but needs to be in great shape to be helpful on D. Uconn may not be the best fit for him in the long run because of his skill set, or he could blossom and greatly help the team...we'll see. I for one will be happy if he remains in good academic standing regardless of whether he stays 2, 4, or even 5 years.

Reaction Score
Guys like Wolf & Bradley stick around through their junior & senior seasons. Having 2 guys 6'10" & 7'1" as upperclassmen will be quite beneficial to UConn. Especially considering some of the toughest players they've played against were Drummond & AO, every day in practice every day as frosh/sophs.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Guys like Wolf & Bradley stick around through their junior & senior seasons. Having 2 guys 6'10" & 7'1" as upperclassmen will be quite beneficial to UConn. Especially considering some of the toughest players they've played against were Drummond & AO, every day in practice every day as frosh/sophs.
Agreed. Having depth at the 5 especially with that height is a great asset. Look how chuck contributed defensively and these guys should be more offensively developed

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Good for Wolf and I hope he continues to improve and gets his chance sometime this year and more than likely next season.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think it depends on the intent of the poster. Someone suggesting a player might be better off in another program, can be looking at the situation with the players interest in mind. In this case the person offering the suggestion has come to a conclusion that a player might gain more if they changed programs. They might make the same suggestion a player goes pro as opposed to coming to UConn because they believe the kid will do better with that option than if they attended the fan's favorite program. They are not dissing the player, or being selfish. On the other hand someone can be making the suggestion from the fan's perspective. They are not taking into consideration the interests of the player but their own selfish desire.

Most posters seemed sincerely concerned about Wolf imo, even those that suggested his transfer could benefit him. Personally I'm happy he chose to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom