Good article by Jacobs on conf realignment for UConn | The Boneyard

Good article by Jacobs on conf realignment for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The article says $3500 of student tuition will go towards athletics subsidies?! Holy s** t that's a lot. That was basically my biggest fear when CR screwed up initially. It'll cause the university to have to scale back costs, and athletics will usually go first.

Reaction Score
We have assumed that all of our leaders have been balls to the wall on this since day one. Obviously Jacobs does not think so and with his insight and info connections I think we have to believe him. Continuing on the status quo is not an option and if it's made clear that jobs are on the line maybe it needs to go that way. He's saying get it done Susan and awarded or get axed. Who thinks that we can go on indefinitely with this crazy front loaded do or die schedule and low money forever?

Reaction Score
2014: 31,119 students x $3,500 = $109 million
2014 student fees: $10 million

Jacobs was only off by more than a factor of 10.

That being said, UConn is contributing another $17 million. But as for how much of that is tuition money, not the whole thing.

UConn's budget is $1.3B / 31,119 = $41,775 (i.e. actual expenditures per student)
Tuition per student is $10,524, so of the additional $17 million the school is spending, much of it is subsidized by sources other than tuition. State taxes, for instance.

Which is another way of saying, while this sucks really really badly for UConn students, they are not contributing $109 million a year to athletics through fees + tuition. It's probably closer to $19 million.

Reaction Score
Hey Jeff Jacobs, where were you 12 years ago? Thanks for being 12 years late to your job.

love,

Brian

Reaction Score
2014: 31,119 students x $3,500 = $109 million
2014 student fees: $10 million

Jacobs was only off by more than a factor of 10.

That being said, UConn is contributing another $17 million. But as for how much of that is tuition money, not the whole thing.

UConn's budget is $1.3B / 31,119 = $41,775 (i.e. actual expenditures per student)
Tuition per student is $10,524, so of the additional $17 million the school is spending, much of it is subsidized by sources other than tuition. State taxes, for instance.

Which is another way of saying, while this sucks really really badly for UConn students, they are not contributing $109 million a year to athletics through fees + tuition. It's probably closer to $19 million.
I read it to be $3,500, over each students' 4-year career. So it would be $109 million divided by 4, or $27million a year.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It'll make for a great read this year if he sticks to his guns.

"But I wouldn't be doing my job if I let the presidents at BC or Wake Forest or Vanderbilt or Northwestern or Rutgers rest easy. Or, for that matter, the kingmakers at Texas, Notre Dame, LSU, Penn State, Michigan and Alabama, etc. And what about the commissioners of the Power Five and the big executives over in Bristol at ESPN or at Fox? They can all expect emails or phone calls in the coming months for their full-throated assessment of why they have kept UConn out and haven't let them in since."

He said in 2016 he'll be in an agitating mood. I sure hope so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"A Mr. Jeff Jacobs is on the phone. He wants to know why you haven't returned his e-mails."

"Who?"

"He says he's a reporter from a newspaper in Connecticut and is inquiring about why UConn has not been invited to a Power 5 conference."

[dial tone]

Reaction Score
I read it to be $3,500, over each students' 4-year career. So it would be $109 million divided by 4, or $27million a year.

My mistake then. I can't actually read Courant articles. His numbers are still off though because he assumes tuition dollars fund UConn expenditures. I'd say it's likelier that $15-20 million come from students themselves.

Reaction Score
For those of you who don't follow the CR board, check out this post by @Dooley.

As UConn fans, we all realize what we bring to the table. But there's a huge contingent of people across the country that don't realize just how much more valuable we are than every other "available" university.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hey Jeff Jacobs, where were you 12 years ago? Thanks for being 12 years late to your job.

love,

Brian
I thought he was a columnist.

Reaction Score
I hate CR articles, its like looking at a beautiful lady on the platform from a train window .. . . . . while passing through the station.

Reaction Score
I don't believe what I'm seeing here. I don't care if every number quoted in the article is exactly right or not, Jacobs has nailed this thing and he should be getting our praise. Calling out the administration and politicians had to be done. Thank you Jacobs. We need an all out press that does not stop until we gain admittance, and he says we haven't been getting it. Who is not on his side here? Unbelievable.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For those of you who don't follow the CR board, check out this post by @Dooley.

As UConn fans, we all realize what we bring to the table. But there's a huge contingent of people across the country that don't realize just how much more valuable we are than every other "available" university.

Thanks for the link. Interesting post by @Dooley. I was number 100 on the likes list.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't believe what I'm seeing here. I don't care if every number quoted in the article is exactly right or not, Jacobs has nailed this thing and he should be getting our praise. Calling out the administration and politicians had to be done. Thank you Jacobs. We need an all out press that does not stop until we gain admittance, and he says we haven't been getting it. Who is not on his side here? Unbelievable.

Pretty sure everyone is on his side here. But I'm all for the Call to Arms anyway.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Jacobs wants them to, minimally, say why they have not let us in, He wants to know if the rumors are true. Wants them to state where we are lacking. Go for it Jeff!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's just that Robin wants to do a job when we need the Batman.

Reaction Score
I refuse to pay for the HC. Any talk of a conference that is going to beg us to join? Acc, B10,b12, PAC36, mac?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I refuse to pay for the HC. Any talk of a conference that is going to beg us to join? Acc, B10,b12, PAC36, mac?
Copy the link, paste it in your search bar and google it. Voila, free HC article.

caw

Reaction Score
"A Mr. Jeff Jacobs is on the phone. He wants to know why you haven't returned his e-mails."

"Who?"

"He says he's a reporter from a newspaper in Connecticut and is inquiring about why UConn has not been invited to a Power 5 conference."

[dial tone]

You think it would get that far?

Reaction Score
or just log in with facebook. Even though they ask you to subscribe it's free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads