Gonzaga | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've always kind of felt that we put Gonzaga on the map and kind of helped them out in the process of putting them on the map.

They pissed me off beyond description in the 1999 regional final when they just wouldn't go away. Every time I felt "now we will make a little run an put some distance between us" they clawed back, remaining in striking distance. It wasn't until about 25 seconds left that I felt fully confident that we had it.

Then, the head coach (Monson) leaves, handing the job to someone who turned out to be a far better coach.

In a way, we made Gonzaga. Not like Al Gore inventing the internet, but actually contributing to them being the Gonzaga everyone knows.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that Few was a big game choker.
That's pretty safe to say, considering the recent loss and the 0 Titles.
But it is so hard for me to see BYers criticize big time D1 coaches. Even "small time" D1 coaches. What experience, expertise, or acid trip delusion makes common BY posters think they have any place to knock a tourney coach? Each and every one of you would be laughed off the court at the D1 level. It is impossible to take you seriously. I would pay money to watch you stand in front of Hurley or Few and give them some tips. They'd thank you for your time and then fire security for letting you in. You'd all fail miserably as a D1 coach (Apologies to all the former D1 coaches on this thread.)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
But it is so hard for me to see BYers criticize big time D1 coaches. Even "small time" D1 coaches. What experience, expertise, or acid trip delusion makes common BY posters think they have any place to knock a tourney coach? Each and every one of you would be laughed off the court at the D1 level. It is impossible to take you seriously. I would pay money to watch you stand in front of Hurley or Few and give them some tips. They'd thank you for your time and then fire security for letting you in. You'd all fail miserably as a D1 coach (Apologies to all the former D1 coaches on this thread.)
Humility is far more scarce than gold.

Reaction Score
Each year when Gonzaga inevitably comes up short, I'm reminded that it's been a long time that they've been good. It must just be brutal for their fans.

I went back and looked at their tourney record vs. ours since that fateful game in '99. Gonzaga has 23 tournaments and 23 losses. Five in a row as the equal/higher seed. We have 4 wins, 11 losses, and 8 DNQs. Two straight losses as higher seed.

They have had some likable players but I find Mark Few irritating so love this annual tradition.

UCONN:
  • 23 years / 4 wins / 11 losses / 8 DNQ
  • 4 Won National Championship
  • 0 National Cham losses
  • 1 Final Four loss
  • 2 Elite Eight losses
  • 1 Sweet Sixteen loss
  • 3 2nd Round losses
  • 4 1st Round losses
  • 8 DNQ
*6X as equal/better seed
**2X as #1 seed

Gonzaga
  • 23 years / 0 Wins / 23 losses / 0 DNQ
  • 2 Nat’l Cham losses
  • 0 Final Four losses
  • 3 Elite 8 losses
  • 7 Sweet Sixteen losses
  • 8 2nd Round losses
  • 3 1st Round losses
  • 0 DNQ
*10X as equal/better seed
**5X as a #1 seed

UCONN:
  • 1999: Won #1 Duke (NATIONAL CHAMPION)
  • 2000: Lost #4 Tennessee
  • 2001: DNQ
  • 2002: Lost #1 Maryland
  • 2003: Lost #1 Texas
  • 2004: Won #3 Georgia Tech (NATIONAL CHAMPION)
  • 2005: Lost #10 NC State*
  • 2006: Lost #11 George Mason**
  • 2007: DNQ
  • 2008: Lost #13 San Diego*
  • 2009: Lost #2 Michigan State**
  • 2010: DNQ
  • 2011: Won #8 Butler (NATIONAL CHAMPION)
  • 2012: Lost #8 Iowa State
  • 2013: DNQ
  • 2014: Won #8 Kentucky (NATIONAL CHAMPION)
  • 2015; DNQ
  • 2016: Lost #1 Kansas
  • 2017: DNQ
  • 2018: DNQ
  • 2019: DNQ
  • 2021: Lost #10 Maryland*
  • 2022: Lost #12 New Mexico St.*
Gonzaga:

• 1999: Lost #1 Connecticut
  • 2000: Lost #6 Purdue
  • 2001: Lost #1 Michigan State
  • 2002: Lost #11 Wyoming*
  • 2003: Lost #1 Arizona
  • 2004: Lost #10 Nevada*
  • 2005: Lost #6 Texas Tech*
  • 2006: Lost #2 UCLA
  • 2007: Lost #7 Indiana
  • 2008: Lost #10 Davidson*
  • 2009: Lost #1 North Carolina
  • 2010: Lost #1 Syracuse
  • 2011: Lost #3 BYU
  • 2012: Lost #2 Ohio State
  • 2013: Lost #9 Wichita State**
  • 2014: Lost #1 Arizona
  • 2015: Lost #1 Duke
  • 2016: Lost #10 Syracuse
  • 2017: Lost #1 North Carolina**
  • 2018: Lost #9 Florida State*
  • 2019: Lost #3 Texas Tech**
  • 2021: Lost #1 Baylor**
  • 2022: Lost #4 Arkansas**
The interesting thing about Gonzaga is UConn could have faced them in 1995. They were the 14 seed out in the West region, salt lake city. UConn was the 2 seed in the same region. Of course, they got creamed by Maryland, 87-63, a team UConn beat two games later in the sweet 16 in a shoot-out, 99-89. But in another universe perhaps they upset Maryland and might have had a decent chance vs 11 seed Texas.

Reaction Score
Also, since 1998-99, Gonzaga is 52-63 vs Top 25 teams so it is not like they aren't tested from year to year although that does include 8-2 vs St. Marys (wow, they played 10 games where both were ranked). But yah, on average nearly 5 ranked opponents per season since their first win in the tourney of 99. W/o st. marys that is still 4.4 games per season vs Top 25 teams. Not bad at all for a midmajor conference, especially since more and more teams are wary of scheduling Gonzaga and taking an L as the years pass and P6 just prefers more cupcakes with the coming of 20 game conference schedules.

Reaction Score
this is an amazing stretch for any team, let alone a non power conference team. it'll be nice if/when they do finally get over the hump. three straight "what-if" seasons.....i'd kill for a uconn "what-if" season to be like this and not "what-if we didn't lose to new mexico st". i think this is the first season i've felt disappointed by them

these gonzaga teams are always so good, even if they do come up short. love watching them play anyone anywhere when the season first starts. wonder how hard it is to find a nonconf team to play in january or february. not that i really buy the "not battle tested" label always thrown their way, but would still be nice to see them play a ranked matchup vs someone other than st marys or byu for the last three months of the season. i guess for what it's worth their SOS is always above several major conference teams
I respect the hell out of Gonzaga (anyone would be stupid not to) but i just don't think you can discount the conference issue. But place them beside other elite schools that play tough early season OOC schedules like Duke, Villanova, etc.- other than their handful of matchups versus St. Mary's and BYU, essentially they're playing the equivalent of Butler or worse every night of the conference slate. Is that prepping them the same way that having to run the gauntlet in the BE, ACC, or B10 in January thru March would? I've got to believe no.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
As a fan of both UConn and Gonzaga (hence my handle) I appreciate most of the comments in this thread that respect the Gonzaga program. They can't really do much about their conference because they won't get a football team so will never be a Pac-12 member. The Mt. West wanted them, but is the Mt. West really any better than the WCC at this point? At least St. Mary's won a game in the tournament this year unlike the 4 Mt. West teams that qualified. They do their damnedest to schedule tough in non-conference to get ready for what happens in March, but there's still a lot of coaches unwilling to play them home and home so they end up with a bunch of neutral site games instead. It would also be helpful to get a couple tough non-con games in Jan/Feb but when all the P6 conference are 20+ games in conference now, who can they realistically play that would even challenge them at that point in the season. Houston maybe but how long will Kelvin even stay now before retirement?

The tournament is so much about guard play now compared to decades ago where having a big guy like Holmgren could have been a difference maker then, but having a guy like Suggs for them last year was huge. Guard play is why UConn has their 2 most recent titles. Oriahki played a large role in 2011, but without Kemba they aren't winning that title; just like without Shabazz and Boatright they aren't winning in 2014. Gonzaga's guard play hasn't been the greatest recently over full seasons outside of Suggs and it was inconsistent heading into the tournament this year. It was especially subpar in the Sweet 16, which is why they failed against Arkansas. Being one of the final 16, 8, or 4 teams almost annually should never be an indictment on a program, even one with expectations as high as Gonzaga has now.

UNC doesn't make the final four without Davis being blazing hot against Baylor or Love being blazing hot against UCLA. Kansas escaped Creighton because Remy Martin is finally playing like an All-American. Duke has basically a giant guard in Banchero, plus, grudingly, Roach has been stellar in the tournament too and we all know Villanova is just guards upon guards basically. March Madness is simply guard dominated now.

Reaction Score
That's what the BY is for, to give your opinion. Someone must've pissed in your cheerio's Friday AM

Reaction Score
remind me to never go to a game with you, sheesh.

Reaction Score
Always thought Gonzaga in the Big East was far fetched but how about this scenario.
Big East - East
UConn, PC, St Johns, SH, Vill, GTown.

Big East - West
Marguette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Gonzaga

Play each team in your division twice as well as 4 from the other division twice. Play the other 2 once for a 20 game conference schedule.

Reaction Score
One thing about Gonzaga (who, btw look to be Big East bound). Prior to 2017 the Zags had a grand total of one (1) Top 25 recruiting class ... ever. Now they have four.
-----
——-
List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
Shane Battier - Duke, Dan Dickau - Gonzaga, Omeka Okafor - UConn, DJ Augustin - Texas, Kelly Olynyk - Gonzaga, Nigel Williams-Goss - Gonzaga, Corey Kispert - Gonzaga.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One thing about Gonzaga (who, btw look to be Big East bound). Prior to 2017 the Zags had a grand total of one (1) Top 25 recruiting class ... ever. Now they have four.
-----
——-
List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
Shane Battier - Duke, Dan Dickau - Gonzaga, Omeka Okafor - UConn, DJ Augustin - Texas, Kelly Olynyk - Gonzaga, Nigel Williams-Goss - Gonzaga, Corey Kispert - Gonzaga.

If you're gonna come post this on a UConn message board, at least spell our legendary center's name right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom