Gonzaga Transfer Allowed to Play Immediately (Deb Patterson Wrongdoing?) | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Transfer Allowed to Play Immediately (Deb Patterson Wrongdoing?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I had not heard anything recently, you might recollect that Deb Patterson was the coach that got heat a few years back for distributing crucifixes to the players and having some religious requirements of them (at a public school).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Where did you find "inappropriate treatment" in this article. I don't know why Patterson decided to can Karr - if in fact that's what happened and I suspect you don't know the reason either. Unless you have inside information beyond what's in the linked article don't make the assumption about what happened.

Then again I'm sure it was the crucifix thing - right?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Karr, a 5-foot-8 guard, started 59 out of 64 games in two seasons and averaged 9.8 and 10.3 points. She was asked to leave by coach Deb Patterson despite Karr’s solid contributions to an NCAA tournament team that went 12-11 and tied for third in the powerful Big 12 Conference. Karr, an all-state guard from Paola, Kan., did not want to leave, which was the basis for the NCAA ruling.

Unfortunately, because no one is talking, there will be speculation in circles that discuss this kind of thing. it's possible her scholly was not renewed - coaches and schools have the right not to do that as schollies are year to year only correct?

i agree the wording is a bit confrontational. i have no idea what transpired and give credit to the student for not badmouthing her former coach. it would be nice to know what happened - i mean if Patterson wanted her out for religious reasons or for issues similar to Rene Portland's (PSU) discriminatory and short sighted stance, i could see a lot of brouhaha, but we may never know for sure...

knowing certainly would make it easier for the casual fan to decide if they really disliked Patterson or not... and after all, isn't that most important?! ;)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
We probably will never know what went down but it is highly unusual for the NCAA to allow a transfer to play immediately without sitting out a year. Curious.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A few years ago Mechelle Voepel wrote a lengthy investigative piece on Deb Paterson and K State after some very popular players and assistant coaches left the program. She talks about it here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=2609272

Mechelle was asked about the Karr situation in a recent espn chat. BTW, two other players left the team in addition to Karr. Mechelle said she's heard some things about the Karr situation but no one has agreed to speak on the record about what happened. We'll likely never know but the NCAA's decision is highly unusual.

Reaction Score
Where did you find "inappropriate treatment" in this article. I don't know why Patterson decided to can Karr - if in fact that's what happened and I suspect you don't know the reason either. Unless you have inside information beyond what's in the linked article don't make the assumption about what happened.

Then again I'm sure it was the crucifix thing - right?

Please note the following phrase in my post: "seems to support the rumors." Not only does it structurally indicate only the appearance and/or possibility of, but it specifically refers to "rumors," thus contextualizing the implication of "inappropriate treatment."

Reaction Score
For those interested, here are some of the rumors to which I alluded, a subject which was discussed on the old board back when it first occurred.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=173&f=2672&t=7450376
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=173&f=2672&t=7426448
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=173&f=2672&t=7429812

There are several other discussions on ESPN' board and Rebkell but they are too difficult to find now.

Moreover, I actually contacted Mechelle, thanks to a great suggestion by another BY'er, and obtained the entire investigative article, which is no longer available online. If anyone wants to read it, please let me know.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A lot of speculation by a lot of folks on the KState board. Actually, it all boils down to some variation of the coach not believing the player fit in. There does seem a concensus that Patterson is a bit over the top on the religious side, with absolutely no one in the thread I read claiming to know if that was actually the reason.

I don't particularly like what I have read about Patterson; if true, I probably would not "root" for her teams, as I think coaches need to tread very lightly where religious issues are concerned (at non-religious schools).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
A lot of speculation by a lot of folks on the KState board. Actually, it all boils down to some variation of the coach not believing the player fit in. There does seem a concensus that Patterson is a bit over the top on the religious side, with absolutely no one in the thread I read claiming to know if that was actually the reason.

I don't particularly like what I have read about Patterson; if true, I probably would not "root" for her teams, as I think coaches need to tread very lightly where religious issues are concerned (at non-religious schools).

If she did not "fit in" why did she start 59 of 64 games?

Patterson is not such a good coach that she should get any slack for whatever she did to this kid and there is little doubt in my mind that the NCAA investigated this and found something to justify their highly unusual decision to allow the kid to play right away.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga University is a humanistic, private Catholic University providing a Jesuit education to more than 7,500 students. Situated along the Spokane River near downtown Spokane, Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom