OT: - Gonzaga to Big 12? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Gonzaga to Big 12?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gonzaga has been the top dog in the West Coast Conference for a while now, but a report by ESPN's Pete Thamel noted the program is considering a move to the Big 12. While the Bulldogs have proven to be a national powerhouse on a consistent basis, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins thinks Gonzaga might not be ready for that new level of competition.

"To get in this league and play who we play day after day, I would think it would be a tremendous awakening," Huggins told reporters Thursday. "You don't get to make your own schedule in the Big 12."

Bob is right. Even in the Big East, Gonzaga would never again be a 1-2 loss top 5 team.

Reaction Score
Bob is right. Even in the Big East, Gonzaga would never again be a 1-2 loss top 5 team.
They could certainly be a top 5 team, they've clearly been one of the best teams in college basketball for years now. It's rare anyone in college basketball only has 1 or 2 losses in a season though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They could certainly be a top 5 team, they've clearly been one of the best teams in college basketball for years now. It's rare anyone in college basketball only has 1 or 2 losses in a season though.
I don’t think they’d very often finish first playing in a real league. A couple of their teams could have over the years, but they’ve often been overrated. The grind of a tough league is just different.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Huggins in the sense that it's much easier to beat 15 and 16 seeds in the tourney than it is a 11 seed because you've racked up more losses.

So much of the tourney is matchups rather than season resume.

Just get to the 2nd weekend and then anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Major conference coaches know Gonzaga is a great team with a great coach. They also know that the Zags resume isn’t that strong. I’m surprised Huggins bothered to say it. It isn’t worth the possible blow back.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Huggins in the sense that it's much easier to beat 15 and 16 seeds in the tourney than it is a 11 seed because you've racked up more losses.

So much of the tourney is matchups rather than season resume.

Just get to the 2nd weekend and then anything can happen.
That's why they don't seed the tournament based on losses.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga would absolutely still be a top 10 team in a major conference. Sure they wouldn't only have 1 or 2 losses like they do now, but they also wouldn't need to when they're playing quality opponents every night

Reaction Score
after watching the Michigan /Pitt game, the bottom feeders ugh tough look. Hachi machi

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And Gonzaga getting their butts kicked by Texas right now.
Their new arena is such a joke.

Imagine having a 15k capacity arena, reducing the capacity by 5k for hoops games and replacing those seats with giant panels to reflect sound back on the court. Sound that would’ve been created by an additional 5k people in the building.
Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom