OT: - Golf: U.S. Women's Open scoreboard | The Boneyard

OT: Golf: U.S. Women's Open scoreboard

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

The link is to the scoreboard...tourney starts today in South Carolina.

Winner? Odds-on....someone originally from Asia....they have made the LPGA incredibly deep in talent.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Terrible choice of words! Haney MUST be held accountable. His apology does NOT hold water. He's back peddling and may go down for the count.
I used to watch the LPGA quite often, always rooting for American players. We used to always have someone on top of the leader board. Not so much nowadays. I don't care what their ethnicity is, I like rooting for Americans in any and all sports. I watch ALOT of PGA and if one of my favorites is not on top of the leader board, I'll root for any American that could potentially win. The reason I do not watch much of the LPGA any longer is that the Korean contingent has all but taken over. Once again, it could be ANY country and I would lose interest.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
In point of fact the Asian Invasion....starting with Seri Pak winning the U.S. Open in 1998...while it has made the tour much deeper...also has led to some fans doing exactly what Maine fan does. The tour is sure global in nature...with several events in Asia and elsewhere across the pond....but the USA is still their home and the relative lack of American winners is a problem.

Conventional wisdom from commentators is that Asian players simply outwork Americans.
With golf being included in the Olympics nowadays that has led to China emphasizing golf and that only will assist the Invasion down the road.

Haney picking a 'Korean' to win is not worthy of criticism....his flippant follow-ups are.
Junior golf.....college golf...is strong....hopefully that will produce Americans who will soon be playing late on Sunday.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Haney picking a 'Korean' to win is not worthy of criticism....his flippant follow-ups are.

This was my take too.

Reaction Score
It appears he called both the nationality and surname (if surname is applicable to Korean names).

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Suspended...and basically correct....yikes!

Jeongeum Lee6 wins the U.S. Open. Uhhh...she is from Korea....and includes '6' in her name because there are 5 other Lees on the Korean LPGA tour.

America's top player Lexie Thompson finished second. She has the potential to get to World #1...a young vet...maybe 24 or so....putting has held her back over her career...supposedly she has had a change in style and maybe that will get her to #1.

BTW: Lexie....[Alexis at the time] won the Girls 17U in 2008 when she was only 13. Right here at the Hartford Golf Club. Geno holds an annual charity event there with some of the players hanging out on the grounds.

I did go to see Alexis play several of those rounds....a friend knows her Dad and I got a nice intro to him...he was darn friendly and chatty about Alexis and the state of her game. A super strong grip [draw grip] to try and keep up with her brothers who are both really good. She is one of the longest players on the tour nowadays.

Some wins by Lexi will give some needed American sizzle to the tour....it would help if Michelle Wie did the same...hampered by injury and some mediocre putting herself.

Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the golfers of the LPGA, especially the Asian players. What amazes me most about them is their ability to focus. I have played the game for so many years, and have always felt that that is, by and far, the most difficult part of the game. I think their focus begins with the time they put in off the course, especially on the putting green. As John Houseman said in his famous commercial for Smith Barney, " They make money the old fashioned way, they earn it". I think the Asian players have earned their success the old fashioned way. They should be admired for their work ethic. And American women would best adopt that ethic, though I don't expect to see it happen.

Reaction Score
Apropos of the women's national soccer team's attempts to get parity in pay and benefits with the men's team, and the WNBA's struggle to get a better deal, Lee6 earned a million dollar purse by winning the US Women's Open.

If one woman can pick up a million bucks from one tourney, seems as though there is hope for other women athletes in other fields.

Lee, Park, and Kim are the most common Korean surnames. Lots of Asians can also have the surname Lee or Li, but Kim is only Korean. Park, too. Wong and Wang can also be several different nationalities. BTW, it means "King."

Just OT....

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Apropos of the women's national soccer team's attempts to get parity in pay and benefits with the men's team, and the WNBA's struggle to get a better deal, Lee6 earned a million dollar purse by winning the US Women's Open.

If one woman can pick up a million bucks from one tourney, seems as though there is hope for other women athletes in other fields.

Lee, Park, and Kim are the most common Korean surnames. Lots of Asians can also have the surname Lee or Li, but Kim is only Korean. Park, too. Wong and Wang can also be several different nationalities. BTW, it means "King."

Just OT....

Just like other women's professional team sports, LPGA money isn't even in the same zip code as the PGA. As for the Asian invasion, I attended my first LPGA tournament in the early 70's. We went to as many tournaments as we could over the years and watched the tour on TV. I lost interest in the tour several years ago when American players were no longer competitive. There are but 5 American golfers in the top 25. Of the 13 tournaments played this year there has been but one American winner. Nine of the 13 were Asian.
As for Haney - while his remarks were flippant, they were not far off the mark. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The follow-up to the U.S. Open finished yesterday at Atlantic City.
Nice win by [American!] Lexi Thompson....made a 20 foot put on 18 to beat Lee6 by one.
I think Lexi is around world #5...a few more of these might get her to #1.

BTW: Men's Open at Pebble this week...we already have a fair amount of whining about the possible course set-up by the USGA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom