OT: - Golf: U.S. Open from Pebble...leaderboard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf: U.S. Open from Pebble...leaderboard

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
chj001: I grew up in Yonkers, N.Y. In 1959 a friend's Dad had some connections at Winged Foot and at 16 we both sold umbrellas on the course for a day or 2. We did a lot more watching than selling.
I recall Ed Sullivan walking by near the clubhouse and somewhat dismissively ignoring our pleas to purchase one. Saw a lot of Ben Hogan. I remember reading that the winner Billy Casper played the somewhat long par 3 tenth hole [maybe a bit over 200 yards....narrow green flanked by bunkers....as a short par 4...laying up and chipping. Made 4 threes!

Reaction Score
chj001: I grew up in Yonkers, N.Y. In 1959 a friend's Dad had some connections at Winged Foot and at 16 we both sold umbrellas on the course for a day or 2. We did a lot more watching than selling.
I recall Ed Sullivan walking by near the clubhouse and somewhat dismissively ignoring our pleas to purchase one. Saw a lot of Ben Hogan. I remember reading that the winner Billy Casper played the somewhat long par 3 tenth hole [maybe a bit over 200 yards....narrow green flanked by bunkers....as a short par 4...laying up and chipping. Made 4 threes!
I seem to remember a huge thunderstorm at the end of perhaps the Saturday round. Surprised you didnt sell more.
My first legal job out of law school was with a large NY firm whose annual golf outing took place at Winged Foot, so I got to play both courses 5 or 6 times. My first year, I was one of the last people still around at the end of the evening and found myself in the back of a limo heading back to the city with the head of the firm, a former US Attorney General and Secretary of State.
Never cared much for the course . . . tough but boring.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Winged Foot is known for several things, including hosting a slew of USGA championships.

Other notable facts:

It has TWO of the best 18-hole layouts in the country. Their top course is great. Their second course is very solid as well.

It has an unusual collection of skilled golfers. The members there are serious and very good.

One member years ago was named David Mulligan. He was known for occasionally making a second attempt at a shot, hence the "mulligan."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One member years ago was named David Mulligan. He was known for occasionally making a second attempt at a shot, hence the "mulligan."
I understand that every Friday night after his round of golf, Mulligan would also make a big pot of stew for the members.... :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom