Unusual TV times...prime time in our corner of the world

Thursday and Friday
Foxsports1: 12:30-7:30
Fox 7:30-10:30

Saturday
Fox noon-10:00

Sunday
Fox 2-10:00

Pebble is not long by modern standards...around 7000 yards.
Will play far different than the annual tourney there in the winter.

Narrow fairways...rough up...will play fast to small greens.
Weather supposed to be good.
Par is changed to 71....one short par 5 plays to a long par 4.

Maybe 4 greatest rounds ever: in 2000 Tiger won the Open here shooting 12 under. Great score all by itself....but second place was 3 over.

Reaction Score
with all the hoopla about Tiger and Koepka, Molinari is being ignored. He isn't long but at 7000 all you need is straight. And he can putt. Just the sort of grinder that wins these things.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The course is soft and relatively easy today. We'll see what the small greens, long rough, and wind do over the next 3 days.

It's a course many are familiar with, because the AT&T Pro-Am is played there (for 2 rounds) in February, but the rough is thicker and fairways narrower for the Open. It's the same course, but not really.

In 1992, I believe that Andy Dillard started with 7 straight birdies, then promptly gave several shots back. The first 7 holes are the ones to score on. Holes 8, 9, and 10 are along the cliffs, and pars there are solid scores.

The ocean and cliffs are not in play on every hole, but they are on 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17, and 18.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Milford will be there on Saturday and Sunday. It will be my 4th Open at Pebble and at least 14th overall.
I haven’t said this in awhile, but for the record, “I really, really, really hate you.” :(

My wife and I spent a week on the peninsula some years back. We biked all around Pebble, Spyglass & Monterey GC’s as well as through the neighborhoods overlooking the ocean. One of the most beautiful places on the planet, especially watching the sea lions, dolphins, otters and all manner of bird life that live there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lucky enough to play there 40 years ago. Less than $50, but they didn’t even have a practice area then. I think 1 or 2 holes have been redesigned. It was a spectacular sunny day, with almost no wind, and I managed to break 100, as a 9-handicap. Couldn’t tell where a lot of fairways were. Local knowledge or a good caddy was needed.

Reaction Score
Lucky enough to play there 40 years ago. Less than $50, but they didn’t even have a practice area then. I think 1 or 2 holes have been redesigned. It was a spectacular sunny day, with almost no wind, and I managed to break 100, as a 9-handicap. Couldn’t tell where a lot of fairways were. Local knowledge or a good caddy was needed.
The current green fee is $550.

Reaction Score
I’m aware... and if I had the opportunity I would do it. It was that nice. Having a little more knowledge about where to aim and where the holes go would be worth it.

I used to play Torrey Pines (North and South) for $8. City resident and military. I’d love to play them again too.

Reaction Score
That’s a week of really great golf at Myrtle Beach.

One place I’ve never been. Played a couple places near Charleston, and a few in the western part of SC, near Clemson.
How did the Myrtle area come back from the storms and flooding last year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One place I’ve never been. Played a couple places near Charleston, and a few in the western part of SC, near Clemson.
How did the Myrtle area come back from the storms and flooding last year?
I haven’t been there in several years, so I can’t really say what kind of shape they’re in, but it’s an area that’s used to dealing with hurricanes, so I suspect the golf courses are all open for business right now.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
That’s a week of really great golf at Myrtle Beach.
That's more than 25% of my annual dues at my 27-hole resort course in New Mexico, where I can play 12 months of the year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's more than 25% of my annual dues at my 27-hole resort course in New Mexico, where I can play 12 months of the year.
One of my favorite trips with my family was an early spring trip to Taos. My wife and son went skiing one day up on the mountain while I played golf down in the valley. It was a beautiful day for all....

Reaction Score
One of my favorite trips with my family was an early spring trip to Taos. My wife and son went skiing one day up on the mountain while I played golf down in the valley. It was a beautiful day for all....
One of my favorite trips was back in the '90s. Flew Christmas night to SFO, stayed in the Oakland hills, drove to Tahoe next morning for 5 days of skiing at Squaw Valley, then returned to Frisco early on New year's Eve to play at The Olympic Club. Back then I was a member of the NY Athletic Club, a sister club to Olympic. We had reciprocal rights to play at Olympic, but when I was being outfitted at the clubhouse, they added that as a reciprocal guest, I could only play the Ocean Course (the US Open is played on the Lake Course). It was a gorgeous day, 65 and sunny, and I was paired with a member. During the first few holes, I stressed to him how disappointed I was not to get to play the Lake Course. At about the 13th hole, the two courses abut, whereupon he suggested that we switch courses and proceeded to play the final 12 or 13 holes of the Lake Course. Later that evening, I took the red-eye back to NYC. Great trip.

Ranking my favorite US Open courses that I have personally played:

1. Bethpage Black
2. Shinnecock
3. Olympic Club
T4. Winged Foot
T5. Pinehurst #2

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
chj001: try to get on The Country Club in Brookline Ma. PLay all 27...there are 3 nines and each nine contributes holes to the tournament course. No spectactular hole...imo...but just a beautiful olde-style New Englandy course. The PGA major is coming there in a few years.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Wife and I were there a couple of years ago. It would have cost over $1200 to play. We had lunch instead and I took a leak in the clubhouse men's room so I crossed PB off my bucket list. We did walk some of the course and what impressed me most was the amount of real hackers playing. More money than game I guess.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The L.A. Country Club and Torrey Pines are on the schedule.

I've played Torrey Pines a couple of times but it's a different course when set up for a pro tournament.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've played Torrey Pines a couple of times but it's a different course when set up for a pro tournament.
Yes, plus the North course is short and easy. The South course was lengthened and redesigned for the 2008 Open. It’s a legit course. The Open will be there again in 2 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
chj001: try to get on The Country Club in Brookline Ma. PLay all 27...there are 3 nines and each nine contributes holes to the tournament course. No spectactular hole...imo...but just a beautiful olde-style New Englandy course. The PGA major is coming there in a few years.

U.S. Open in 2022. Wanna go? Email me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was right behind Gary when he hit the 3-wood on #14. A bold decision and great execution. The hole was playing over par, and he hit 2 nearly perfect shots under tremendous pressure. The crowd loved both the decision and the shot.

Reaction Score
U.S. Open in 2022. Wanna go? Email me.
MilfordHusky, Thanks for the offer but I gave up attending majors after the 1993 US Open at Baltusrol. Too crowded and too hot. Went to my 1st in 1959 at Winged Foot. Will only go now if I'm marshalling, like I did at the 1997 PGA (that was the Davis Love rainbow).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom