Golf: Lee Elder RIP...an historical figure | The Boneyard

Golf: Lee Elder RIP...an historical figure

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Sad to see this news a few minutes ago. The link takes you to an article about Lee's
role in the history of golf...a significant one for sure. An incredibly gracious man throughout his
long career....first African American to play in The Masters....1975. A 'very good' player whose contributions to the game were way beyond that description.

Idle musings: A friend and I caddied at the Tupper Lake Open for several summers as teens....in the Adirondacks.
Lee won that event a few years after we stopped caddying. His win maybe was in the late 1960's. The event is still held every summer. The tourney attracted several high profile black golfers even given a small purse. The PGA tour was not welcoming to those players back then and they had to make ends meet somehow. Charlie Sifford was among those who played there....also a legend.

Lee was invited with Nicklaus and Player to hit the ceremonial tee shots at The Masters last April. Lee was in poor health and could not actually hit his shot but the linked article suggests how pleased he was to have that honor and just be there on the first tee.

At 87...RIP Lee Elder.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lee Elder had to persevere under difficult and dangerous circumstances. A brave man, RIP!

Blake--are you going to Brookline for the U.S. Open in June?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Milford: check your email.

A 'tale' I have read in several places...not a 'tall tale'. On Elder's first day at the Masters he was walking from the practice
putting green to the first tee. All of the African American employees at the course had left their posts and formed a corridor for him to pass...applauding his every step. Cool...more than cool.

UConn connection: for men fans here who go back a ways: Ricky Moore was instrumental in getting the men their first ring...defensive-oriented guard. He was from the Augusta area and I read that he worked as a waiter during the tournament. His Dad...Buck Moore..was [maybe still is] a tour caddy but I think he regularly caddied at Augusta National as well. JIm Calhoun spoke at Ricky's high school after his senior season there...after he had committed to UConn. After their championship I happened to see JC at a convenience store in Storrs. I congratulated him on the ring...and he responded with a bland 'thank you'. I asked him if he had enjoyed playing at Augusta National....I had read that at some point. All 'blandness' gone...he enthusiastically rambled on about his round...he clearly remembered every blessed shot..what any golfer would probably do after his first round there.

I kinda wonder whether Buck had helped arrange that round for JC. Maybe knew a member who was a big basketball fan who would want to meet and play a round with Calhoun. I think..both then and now...a guest HAD to play with a member...not on his own.

RIP Lee...the Golf Channel did a nice job of telling his story yesterday.

Reaction Score

Sad to see this news a few minutes ago. The link takes you to an article about Lee's
role in the history of golf...a significant one for sure. An incredibly gracious man throughout his
long career....first African American to play in The Masters....1975. A 'very good' player whose contributions to the game were way beyond that description.

Idle musings: A friend and I caddied at the Tupper Lake Open for several summers as teens....in the Adirondacks.
Lee won that event a few years after we stopped caddying. His win maybe was in the late 1960's. The event is still held every summer. The tourney attracted several high profile black golfers even given a small purse. The PGA tour was not welcoming to those players back then and they had to make ends meet somehow. Charlie Sifford was among those who played there....also a legend.

Lee was invited with Nicklaus and Player to hit the ceremonial tee shots at The Masters last April. Lee was in poor health and could not actually hit his shot but the linked article suggests how pleased he was to have that honor and just be there on the first tee.

At 87...RIP Lee Elder.
Thanks for sharing--very well done...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom