Golden and RJ Dill to visit UConn this weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Golden and RJ Dill to visit UConn this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we end up with one or the other in RJ Dill or Glowinski... The other possible OL would be Brodie...

Reaction Score
etc. Iowa's tentacles in CT extend beyond Ferentz. Hawkeyes' OC Ken O'Keefe was born in Milford and once was an asst coach with the Univ of New Haven.

In addition, Darrell Wilson is the LB coach at Iowa for the last 9 years. He is a UConn grad and was a great player.

Reaction Score
As noted. It's nice to see the alma mater stepping up and giving some of those guys out there in our neighborhood some competition. Sooner than later, I hope we'll be keeping those kinds of guys out there at home after their playing days are done a lot more too.

Reaction Score
Would have to think we have a great shot at landing Dill. It came down to UCONN and Maryland and he ultimately chose Maryland. Classy kid, instant starter at one of the tackles. Would love to see him in a Husky uniform.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Hate on Edsall all you want, but I have little doubt that he'll put in a good word about UConn.

How many ex-coaches can you really say that about?

Same coach who routinely threw players, faculty and a former assistant under the bus?

He's capable of being a jerk, let's please not make this guy into a saint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Yes he has fault but he also helped UConn to a BCS bowl game and to five overall bowl games in his time here.
I just don't understand the hate on this board for the man. Did he leave on a sour note, yes but he also did some really good things like how he handled the Jazz death.

Same coach who routinely threw players, faculty and a former assistant under the bus?

He's capable of being a jerk, let's please not make this guy into a saint.

Reaction Score
Yes he has fault but he also helped UConn to a BCS bowl game and to five overall bowl games in his time here.
I just don't understand the hate on this board for the man. Did he leave on a sour note, yes but he also did some really good things like how he handled the Jazz death.

In this regard, I'm guessing Randy is petty enough not to want to see UConn have great success without him.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing what he did for the football program, I'm arguing the type of human being that he is. My hat goes off to him after his response to the passing of Jazz.

With that being said, his relationship with the CT high school coaches wasn't great. Kids who committed to us and took other visits, scholarship gone. Weird how that didn't apply to Aaron Hernandez. Very controlling with the coaching strategies, picked on Don Brown's family when he left MD, blamed the school for raising admission standards, blamed players if they didn't execute his tired gameplan, and to top it all off, was just an absolute bore. Gump defined the term petty.

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing what he did for the football program, I'm arguing the type of human being that he is. My hat goes off to him after his response to the passing of Jazz.

With that being said, his relationship with the CT high school coaches wasn't great. Kids who committed to us and took other visits, scholarship gone. Weird how that didn't apply to Aaron Hernandez. Very controlling with the coaching strategies, picked on Don Brown's family when he left MD, blamed the school for raising admission standards, blamed players if they didn't execute his tired gameplan, and to top it all off, was just an absolute bore. Gump defined the term petty.

All fair points IMHO.

And the thought that Dill would even listen to Edsall's advice is laughable. And with the Terps on the sked next year, I don't think Edsall would be as magnamimous as others are assuming.

Reaction Score
Kids who committed to us and took other visits, scholarship gone.
Can you provide some examples of kids who had this happen to them?

If it really did, are you really surprised that 5 star recruits have different rules when it comes scholarship offers? If a 2 star recruit who was our 3rd choice lost a scholly for taking a visit elsewhere I'm ok with it. If a 5 star recruit loses an scholly for taking a visit to defending National Champion Florida University, the coach should be fired.

All that said...

Randy seems to be a petty person, the best I would hope from him is "no comment" when it comes to discussing UConn privately.

Reaction Score
Can you provide some examples of kids who had this happen to them?

If it really did, are you really surprised that 5 star recruits have different rules when it comes scholarship offers? If a 2 star recruit who was our 3rd choice lost a scholly for taking a visit elsewhere I'm ok with it. If a 5 star recruit loses an scholly for taking a visit to defending National Champion Florida University, the coach should be fired.

All that said...

Randy seems to be a petty person, the best I would hope from him is "no comment" when it comes to discussing UConn privately.

It's really surprising that you are an advocate for unequal application of standards

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
No, I don't have any proof. I just remember that was one of Edsall's traits that many in here talked about the last few years. I doubt that we would be talking about it if it was t true. But to answer your question, no I don't have any proof.

And I would have a serious problem if Edsall treated highly touted recruits differently in regards to pulling a scholly if they went on visits after committing to us. Isn't that one of the reasons why he took the name off the back of the jerseys? No one player is bigger than the rest of the team?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No, I don't have any proof. I just remember that was one of Edsall's traits that many in here talked about the last few years. I doubt that we would be talking about it if it was t true. But to answer your question, no I don't have any proof.

And I would have a serious problem if Edsall treated highly touted recruits differently in regards to pulling a scholly if they went on visits after committing to us. Isn't that one of the reasons why he took the name off the back of the jerseys? No one player is bigger than the rest of the team?

Only an idiot treats all people or players the same. Think Kemba Walker could get away with an ill-advised shot more often than Olander?

Reaction Score
. I doubt that we would be talking about it if it wasnt true. ?

First of all -- LMAO. Second of all -- LMFAO. This board is based on "truths" that only exist because falsehoods get continually repeated.

That having been said, to my recolletion the only instance of a player verballing to UConn, visiting somewhere else and then not having his offer pulled was the Aaron Hernandez case. And, given that it may have been the only time, anyone who wants to be fair (again with the LMFAO) would recognize the possibility that the differing treatment given Aaron might have had less to do with his star potential and more to do with the very unusual facts of the brother of your starting QB sneaking off to another school without his mother knowing in the immediate aftermath of the father's death. I am not saying Aaron Hernandez's ability did not factor into the decision -- I have no idea and no way to know -- but if you care to be fair to Edsall, unless you know of other instances, you ought to recognize that there may have been more important factors than being willing to break a policy for a potential star player at play.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Didn't Edsall bench his returning all big east back twice the following year? Care to explain why Edsall did that to Brock and Dixon? I'd call Edsall an idiot for many reasons but at least he's consistent with his mantra. At least until MD offered him a job.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
That was in response to the poster who referenced idiot.

Reaction Score
It's really surprising that you are an advocate for unequal application of standards

Star players have different standards and get different treatment, you're welcome to join the rest of us in the real world at your next opportunity.

Reaction Score
Didn't Edsall bench his returning all big east back twice the following year? Care to explain why Edsall did that to Brock and Dixon? I'd call Edsall an idiot for many reasons but at least he's consistent with his mantra. At least until MD offered him a job.

I don't know if it was the right or wrong thing to do, but in both instances the reason given was that the guy who lost his job was outworked in the off-season. Last year's awards have no impact on next year's performance. Dixon said he wasn't sure what more he could have done, but admitted Donald Brown outworked him in the off season.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Hate on Edsall all you want, but I have little doubt that he'll put in a good word about UConn.
pfft... wishful thinking, I say. There's no proof that Dill a player BAILING on a RE led MD Team would even ask RE his opinion of UCONN. More likely he asked others for info (And from say Coach P) and is looking at the opportunity to immediately play!

Reaction Score
I'm sure Dill has placed a call to Ryan Donahue to ask questions about the program, and Don Brown has talked to Coach P about Dill from coaching standpoint.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I don't know if it was the right or wrong thing to do, but in both instances the reason given was that the guy who lost his job was outworked in the off-season. Last year's awards have no impact on next year's performance. Dixon said he wasn't sure what more he could have done, but admitted Donald Brown outworked him in the off season.

I know why he did it, the question was for the person who referred to someone being an idiot if they had treated their players differently. And when I say treat, I'm referring to disciplinary actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline