Going to the Puerto Rico tournament in November, looking for advice | The Boneyard

Going to the Puerto Rico tournament in November, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Has anyone had experience traveling to preseason tournaments to watch the Huskies? I have flights and hotel booked already, but am wondering if it is worth it to buy the package through the tournament organizers. That package includes room, game tickets, a welcome reception and travel to and from games (5 miles from hotel). Oh and don't forget the free lanyard.

I could just buy the tickets from the athletic department separately, but would I miss anything as a result? Wondering if there will be UConn events that we can still get into without the package, or if we will end up in the same general seating area as other UConn fans.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I've been to Maui 3 times and lots of final fours (fun to say that we've been to lots) and a bunch of regionals and have never bought the Uconn package. It's just ridiculously expensive and you can save a ton booking on your own. At Maui they have a dinner with all the teams that is pretty cool but you could buy tickets to that on your own. Besides getting a t-shirt and having all your transportation and tickets taken care of by someone, I don't think you miss much. Just find out where the team is staying and hangout there and see the players leaving for the games and more importantly go to team hotel to party after wins. That's always a blast and a great opportunity to get pictures, meet players/coaches and party with Husky fans

Reaction Score
How do we find out where they are staying? Good info CAHusky

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
The website makes it sound like all teams are at the Hilton Condado Plaza but I'm not sure that's the case. In Maui a few teams stayed at the Hyatt but others stayed at a few different places.
https://www.anthonytravel.com/espn/puerto-rico-tipoff/
We are currently booked at the Hilton, because we got the same impression. Hopefully the teams and media are there too. Thanks for the insights.

Reaction Score
Has anyone had experience traveling to preseason tournaments to watch the Huskies? I have flights and hotel booked already, but am wondering if it is worth it to buy the package through the tournament organizers. That package includes room, game tickets, a welcome reception and travel to and from games (5 miles from hotel). Oh and don't forget the free lanyard.

I could just buy the tickets from the athletic department separately, but would I miss anything as a result? Wondering if there will be UConn events that we can still get into without the package, or if we will end up in the same general seating area as other UConn fans.
Don't forget to go to Old San Juan and the beach.

Reaction Score
Mojito's are way overrated, but definitely try the cerviche.

EDIT: and visit El Yunque and order Monfongo.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If you see a Taco Maker restaurant, don't walk to it, RUN. They make the best tacos on the face of the planet and Puerto Rico has 70-some locations. There used to be one in New Haven on Route 80 but that one is now a Dunkin' Donuts.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Don't forget to go to Old San Juan and the beach.

Thanks. I have been to Puerto Rico before - Old San Juan is great. Have been to the fortress as well. Main goal this time aside from hoops is hiking in the rain forest to waterfalls and caves. Taco Maker has been noted.

Reaction Score
Will I be able to get uconn tickets if I don't get the package from Anthony travel?

I know you mentioned getting tickets from uconn. But I'm not an alum

Reaction Score
I can confirm that in previous tournaments teams have stayed at The Condado Plaza Hilton. As soon as the official tournament packages become available, we should know if that is the case again this year.

As for the suggestion joober made about Taco-Maker, I have to say I laughed because few people here have a high opinion about Taco-Maker (it is really no better than Taco-Bell). There is one TM literally one minute from where I live and I have not been there in about two months. There are so many good food/restaurant options here that you should probably skip that one.

I should be posting a message soon with all the information you could possibly need about PR.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I can confirm that in previous tournaments teams have stayed at The Condado Plaza Hilton. As soon as the official tournament packages become available, we should know if that is the case again this year.

As for the suggestion joober made about Taco-Maker, I have to say I laughed because few people here have a high opinion about Taco-Maker (it is really no better than Taco-Bell). There is one TM literally one minute from where I live and I have not been there in about two months. There are so many good food/restaurant options here that you should probably skip that one.

I should be posting a message soon with all the information you could possibly need about PR.

I can't imagine going to another country and then choosing to eat at a chain restaurant. Unless, I guess, you are just a chain restaurant sort of guy.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Will I be able to get uconn tickets if I don't get the package from Anthony travel?

I know you mentioned getting tickets from uconn. But I'm not an alum

I would think you can buy tickets, like any other game, without being an alum. Just an assumption though. They do want to sell tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom