• Maryland Terps

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Alright my colleagues, Monday night was down in SC to scout the fandom for the Gamecocks, tonight I am going to College Park to see Neb vs. the Terps! Nebraska has been disappointing and I can see first hand if Maryland warrants a #7 rank. Let me know what I need to say to Brenda or if anyone else will be there tonight.

Reaction Score
Alright my colleagues, Monday night was down in SC to scout the fandom for the Gamecocks, tonight I am going to College Park to see Neb vs. the Terps! Nebraska has been disappointing and I can see first hand if Maryland warrants a #7 rank. Let me know what I need to say to Brenda or if anyone else will be there tonight.
Are you wearing your "I HEART BRENDA" Tee-shirt?

Reaction Score
I picked Maryland, but they always have the potential to lay an egg. Especially coming off the victory over Rutgers. If my daughter were still in CP (she is finishing her last two years at the University of Maryland in Baltimore at the Medical Center) I might come join you, but not travelling on Valentine's Day as the wife would have my hide.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alright my colleagues, Monday night was down in SC to scout the fandom for the Gamecocks, tonight I am going to College Park to see Neb vs. the Terps! Nebraska has been disappointing and I can see first hand if Maryland warrants a . Let me know what I need to say to Brenda or if anyone else will be there tonight.

It wouldn't be suitable for a family message board :mad:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
"We defend! We rebound! And we run!"
And if it's against UConn its "Hopefully We defend! Hopefully We rebound! Hopefully We run! And then we suffer another loss!.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Ok, I made it so far- going incognito and haven’t been found out yet! Wow, is this a lot of YELLOW! Tonight is a white out -I have a Turtle Crush EVERYDAY T-shirt!

No Brenda sighting yet, 9 min before game time...should I be worried?:rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ask Brenda if they Bronzed the bucket that Lou puked in

Hokay, mon, that's the best post of the last few weeks. I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of food or beer when I read it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ok, I made it so far- going incognito and haven’t been found out yet! Wow, is this a lot of YELLOW! Tonight is a white out -I have a Turtle Crush EVERYDAY T-shirt!

No Brenda sighting yet, 9 min before game time...should I be worried?:rolleyes:

This game is on BTN. You might not have plausible deniability if the camera finds you.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
HAlf time 41-34 Terps. Very good game offensively which has me pleasantly surprised. Austin is a real nice palyer and Fraser is having nice game as well. What this game I should showing me I see how good a post player coach CD is with what she’s done with Morgan, Gabby, Nat, Pheesa and now ONO, all of these bigs struggle with a second move-no up a unders, no banks off glass, no give and gos. That’s not say these players are not good, I just really appreciate what I have been watching at UConn.

Reaction Score
A couple of nice quotes in this thread. Especially the Fudd comment.

BTW, UConn can say high to Fudd as she passes the campus on the way to Notre Dame.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
HAlf time 41-34 Terps. Very good game offensively which has me pleasantly surprised. Austin is a real nice palyer and Fraser is having nice game as well. What this game I should showing me I see how good a post player coach CD is with what she’s done with Morgan, Gabby, Nat, Pheesa and now ONO, all of these bigs struggle with a second move-no up a unders, no banks off glass, no give and gos. That’s not say these players are not good, I just really appreciate what I have been watching at UConn.

Thanks for the report.
Your comments on posts caught my attention, particularly since I had also just gotten off SkinsHoops86 twitter site. He's a believer that these skills should be worked with posts in AAU ball at practice. They just won't develop of nowhere at endless showcases.
If you read interviews with a number of college coaches, they also believe some posts will lag developmentally (for a whole variety of reasons) and henceforth be ranked lower in the rating services. Thus, the concept of teaching at the HS/AAU and the collegiate levels is paramount. It pays to find good youth teachers and combine then with the CD's (UConn) and Carole Owens (ND) of the WCCB world.

Here are those posts from SkinsHoops86:

"2018 class was strong with posts. I've seen all the highly touted ones, the ones who played in McDonald's game and all that... NC State frosh Elissa Cunane, to me, is the best freshman post player in the country. Great job by NC State with recruitment/development. #55 by ESPN."

"And all these people who brag about their AAU circuit or whatever... Cunane didn't play for some big name AAU team. Find a program who actually develops players, PRACTICES and all that. Get prepared for college. not just summer hype."

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I could say something about a U of MD education.
But I won’t!.....I won’t!.....The hell I won’t!
Hey there! I might want to go next Thursday to the game and I can’t be having the whole state on BY lockdown !
I must also say that the fans in my section were not very versed in the larger context of WCBB. Much like Duke fans, the world revolves around the UM team. Sorry @triaddukefan but your male team fandom are entitled even more than we are!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey there! I might want to go next Thursday to the game and I can’t be having the whole state on BY lockdown !
I must also say that the fans in my section were not very versed in the larger context of WCBB. Much like Duke fans, the world revolves around the UM team. Sorry @triaddukefan but your male team fandom are entitled even more than we are!

No way..... no way possible
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with a U of M education. Now there sports teams and Athletic Department on the other hand...

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with a U of M education. Now there sports teams and Athletic Department on the other hand...

Let's give credit where credit is very due: The Terps' lacrosse teams -- both men and women -- are top tier and have taken home national championships. Yes, they're in the heart of one of the hotbeds of the sport, but they get the right players, continue to develop them and are in the hunt, year-in and year-out.

(I say that as a native Long Islander [another lax hot-bed] and as a former ND club laxer whose Irish have gotten "oh so close" but have not brought home the top prize quite yet. (But hope springs eternal...season starts tonight!;))

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Per your insights and comments, I thought you might find these two comments from a recent Baltimore Sun story on Austin of interest.
'She's only scratched the surface': Touted Maryland freshman Shakira Austin living up to expectations

First, Coach Frese on Austin:
"Frese said she is eager to continue working with Austin for the next three years.

“She’s only scratched the surface,” Frese said. “The defensive tools and passing she brought in, but there’s a whole other level for her from the offensive end, how she runs the floor. She’s so long and so athletic that it’s exciting to think that she has a chance in her senior year to be one of the first names called in the WNBA [draft]. So it’s just putting your head down and going to work because there’s a lot of work that’s got to take place between her freshman year and the time she graduates.”

Also, a quote from Penn State Coach Coquese Washington that acknowledges freshman are, well, freshman and experience is a growth tool in its own right:

“When their post [players] are playing that well, it gets to be pick-your-poison,” Washington told the Montgomery County Sentinel. “And we have young posts inside while Kaila Charles and Brianna Fraser are very seasoned post players, and it makes it easy for Shakira Austin to play alongside players like Kaila and Fraser, who have been here and are very experienced.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom