Goin' to Knoxville | The Boneyard

Goin' to Knoxville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello all,.... especially my TN friends.... I am making my first trip to KVille in November.... (visited Nashville for a week in August)......

Going to take in the TN Vandy football game on the 28th and Lady Vols vs. TX the following day....

Purpose of sending this thread is...... do you have any touristy recommendations? Obviously am going to tour the UT campus and going to WCBB HOF..... tour to Great Smoky Mt Nat Park.... anything else noteworthy?

Thanks all!

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
there is a little outdoor market that you can take a free trolley to. There is also a great museum of history there as well. It beat anything here in CT imo.

I went down with little expectations and ended up enjoying the city very much. Ate at Calhouns as well and had my first green fried tomatoes there

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If you get there early enough for the Vol walk. It would be fun. It will be about 2 hours or so before the football game. The Lady Vol game should be a good game. This team should be exciting.

Reaction Score
A little off the wall, but Oakridge is fascinating. It's where they did some of the major research in creating the atomic bomb. Excellent museum.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hello all,.... especially my TN friends.... I am making my first trip to KVille in November.... (visited Nashville for a week in August).

Going to take in the TN Vandy football game on the 28th and Lady Vols vs. TX the following day....

Purpose of sending this thread is. do you have any touristy recommendations? Obviously am going to tour the UT campus and going to WCBB HOF..... tour to Great Smoky Mt Nat Park.... anything else noteworthy?

Thanks all!
shouldn't you be asking this question on the Summitt... oh yeah I forgot!

If you want to know about Connecticut this is the place to ask but Tennessee smh

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Eat at Calhouns (on the river) even if not game day (it does get very orange on Lady Vol game days). We eat every time we pass through Knoxville (not so often anymore:() although I admit we go to the Bearden Hill location for convenience when we are just passing through.

Maybe not at the time of year you are going, but my wife and I have very fond memories of the Knoxville Zoo. Really nice quality.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
The city square is really nice, and lots of great restaurants and shopping. Highly recommend Tupelo Honey cafe.

The Knoxville Zoo is a good zoo. Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville are not too far away from Knoxville, and if you're going to the Smokies, you will pass through them. Good shopping there too.

If you're going to the football game, your Saturday will be full, and being on campus on gameday is what college football is all about. Get ready to hear Rocky Top every two minutes.

What did you think of Nashville?

Reaction Score
Thank you all for the recommendations..... I want to wade in the sea of orange.... though an over the top UC fan and alum, I really enjoy the traditions of the different universities and how they honor different things and persons..... I also want to explore the Knoxville area..... I hear it is beautiful, looking forward to taking it in....

Yes, msturaider, Nashville was a pleasant surprise.... I thought all I would see and hear would be a lot of twang but the downtown area I found to be thriving, happy, and with a well rounded assortment of musical types..... those open trolleys that cruise around town with the barstools are crazy!

I know it was said somewhat in jest, but when I visit the Summit or Vol Nation, I always tread lightly..... in whatever I say..... I joined and left the Summit after only a few days..... because even an indifferent comment is not welcome.... Vol Nation is better as people here know.... but for purposes of discovering what is cool in KVille. .... I knew our block of TN fans would help me out, and I thank you

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Since you will be on campus the Pat Summitt Plaza is a must see.

Reaction Score
Since you will be on campus the Pat Summitt Plaza is a must see.

Oh wow... I did not know that existed..... I am glad UT honored her in this way..... another must see for my list .... Thanks

Reaction Score
Hello all,.... especially my TN friends.... I am making my first trip to KVille in November.... (visited Nashville for a week in August).

Purpose of sending this thread is. do you have any touristy recommendations? Obviously am going to tour the UT campus and going to WCBB HOF..... tour to Great Smoky Mt Nat Park.... anything else noteworthy?

Thanks all!
I live in downtown Knox and by UT. Lots to do. Try to stay in downtown so you can walk to the shops and stuff. Downtown Knox has a lot going on with festivals and activities. I think you will really like the downtown area. Most folks are surprised when they first visit. Market Square is the main area of shops, etc. Do you have your LV tickets yet? I can help direct you to good spots in the arena. You probably want to eat at Calhouns on the River before the game. (It's right across the street from the arena.) A lot of fans gather in the bar area, young and old. Heck I might even buy you a drink, or a soft drink if you prefer. :) There are so many outdoor activities in the area that it would be hard for me to list. The Smoky's is a must but there are many more. Feel free to message me with questions while you are planning.

Reaction Score
I live in downtown Knox and by UT. Lots to do. Try to stay in downtown so you can walk to the shops and stuff. Downtown Knox has a lot going on with festivals and activities. I think you will really like the downtown area. Most folks are surprised when they first visit. Market Square is the main area of shops, etc. Do you have your LV tickets yet? I can help direct you to good spots in the arena. You probably want to eat at Calhouns on the River before the game. (It's right across the street from the arena.) A lot of fans gather in the bar area, young and old. Heck I might even buy you a drink, or a soft drink if you prefer. :) There are so many outdoor activities in the area that it would be hard for me to list. The Smoky's is a must but there are many more. Feel free to message me with questions while you are planning.

LV9 You are great!!! Thank you for your gracious offer!!! I will put in mental escrow .... right now I think I am OK..... thanks also for your take on the downtown area..... I wouldn't be far off if I said I was blown away by the vibrance and incredible spirit of the Nashville downtown district (I can say that even if Vandy is there yes? hah) and I expect same from Knoxville..... I am trying to think of Nasshville, subtracting 100,000 folks, and then add the weighted influence of a major university ..... quite the culture..... and very different from where I am now in Nevada..... and to think that a city of less than 200,000 fills up a 100,000 stadium for football games.....Anyway, thank you again, LV9, for your kindness

Reaction Score
you are very welcome buddy. you will have a blast. one last thing.....a lot of people like going to the top of the sunsphere which is in dtown knox/Ut area. you can see the whole city from up there. it was the site of the world's fair park in the 80's. message me anytime. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not a good day in Knoxville... comeback/upset loss in Football, were any recruits there?

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
not a good day in Knoxville... comeback/upset loss in Football, were any recruits there?

Lauren Cox is on her official visit this weekend and Christyn Williams is on an unofficial visit.

The football team may have lost, but they got to see 102k screaming fans support the team, and hit 114 decibels at one point.

Reaction Score
Good day for me - I'm an OU grad. YESS!! I've hated orange from way back before I ever heard of women's basketball (big rivals are Okla State & Texas). Only enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the game, but it sure was sweet seeing the air coming out of those 109,000 Vol fans - Boomer Sooner!

This isn't new, but just for kicks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01