Go Shockers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Go Shockers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was just going to post something akin to this. GMUs two big guys were allowed to massacre our guys. They were shorter and bulkier (6'7"-6'9"), which is why Adrien and (if I recall correctly) Nelson matched up pretty decently with them. But they were allowed to just bully Boone and Armstrong with impunity.

And the palming violation was not just questionable, but indefensible. I don't remember the score at the time, but I remember feeling that it was devastating.

just watched the replay on NCAA vault. Uconn was down four with 1:02 left in regulation after a pretty unfortunate tip in by GM. MW drove it to the basket and made a runner, but it was called off due to the palming. The call was pretty awful. I could swear there was another palming call on MW earlier in the game in the backcourt, but i'd have to rewatch the entire game.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Gregg Marhsall (Wichita State head coach) was just on ESPN2 on sportscenter talking about their final 4 run this year and he mentioned their 2011 team...

He said something along the lines that his 2011 WSU team should have beaten Connecticut in Maui "for reasons I won't get into" and probably would have ended up playing another good team in Maui after us which would have been good enough to get them into the NCAA tournament that year (they made the NIT). He says that that team could have gone on a run in the NCAA tournament similarly to his team did this year.

He seemed cocky about it, came off as a . To end the interview, the sportscenter anchor said "well now you can get over the UConn loss from a few years ago since you're in the final 4..." and instead of dropping it, he continued with it saying "well there's some things that happen that you just can't forget and get over so easily."

He seemed super bitter about the whole situation and it came across as really odd considering his team is in the final4 and he's complaining about something that happened over 2 years ago.

I only remember UConn getting a call or two down the stretch, but it was Kemba who willed us to a W again in that game.

I was rooting for Wichita State but after the interview it really turned me off to their coach who seemed very smug. Now I'm hoping they lose (also because if Cuse wins I want them to play a tougher team in the final than Wichita State).

Reaction Score
Gregg Marhsall (Wichita State head coach) was just on ESPN2 on sportscenter talking about their final 4 run this year and he mentioned their 2011 team...

He said something along the lines that his 2011 WSU team should have beaten Connecticut in Maui "for reasons I won't get into" and probably would have ended up playing another good team in Maui after us which would have been good enough to get them into the NCAA tournament that year (they made the NIT). He says that that team could have gone on a run in the NCAA tournament similarly to his team did this year.

He seemed cocky about it, came off as a . To end the interview, the sportscenter anchor said "well now you can get over the UConn loss from a few years ago since you're in the final 4..." and instead of dropping it, he continued with it saying "well there's some things that happen that you just can't forget and get over so easily."

He seemed super bitter about the whole situation and it came across as really odd considering his team is in the final4 and he's complaining about something that happened over 2 years ago.

I only remember UConn getting a call or two down the stretch, but it was Kemba who willed us to a W again in that game.

I was rooting for Wichita State but after the interview it really turned me off to their coach who seemed very smug. Now I'm hoping they lose (also because if Cuse wins I want them to play a tougher team in the final than Wichita State).
I still want Wichita State to win the whole thing.

Smug as he may be, it's better than seeing Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, or Florida cut down the nets. I can accept Michigan.

But that's incredibly douchey, and I remember WSU being really bitter after that game.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I still want Wichita State to win the whole thing.

Smug as he may be, it's better than seeing Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, or Florida cut down the nets. I can accept Michigan.

But that's incredibly douchey, and I remember WSU being really bitter after that game.

I got nothing against UL, Florida, or Michigan winning it. As long as it ain't Duke or Cuse.

Reaction Score
I got nothing against UL, Florida, or Michigan winning it. As long as it ain't Duke or Cuse.
Florida or Louisville would tie us for titles, and both would, in that scenario, also be ahead of us in Final Fours (Louisville already is by a mile).

Reaction Score

We got a break or two in that game, but if you're whining about a November loss as your reason for not getting into the NCAA Tournament, you didn't do your job as a head coach. Period. Wichita State lost at home to VCU in the Bracket Busters. Win that one, maybe you have VCU's spot in the First Four, or don't get swept by Missouri State or don't get upset by Indiana State in your conference semis.

In fairness, we were in that same spot in 2001 and had some beefs. Lost a first rounder to Dayton in Hawaii and got a much weaker consolation schedule that may have been the difference in an at large bid. Only difference was, we were missing Caron because we actually were honest about self-reporting (about prep school tuition assistance, per an NCAA mandate) and the NCAA banged us for it, while everyone else just ignored the mandate. We still had our chances after that - right down to the end when we blew a game to Seton Hall on a Darius Lane three-pointer. Ultimately, that team didn't deserve to go (home loss to Detroit hammered that point home).

Oh, those Darii. Lane got us once, Rice got us once, and Smith got us once from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom