Glen Miller not a good recruiter? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Glen Miller not a good recruiter?

Reaction Score
Sure. The problem isn't that he didn't come here. The problem is that we were so sure he would that we messed up elsewhere and lost recruits that wanted to come here.

Pin that on whom you want, but you can't can't avoid good players because you're sure you're getting a great one, and then not get the great one.
To put it another way, we could be entering next season with this starting 5 if recruiting had gone better:

G: Adams
G: Brown
F: Larrier
F: Colson
F: Facey (RS-Sr)

Reaction Score
Sure. The problem isn't that he didn't come here. The problem is that we were so sure he would that we messed up elsewhere and lost recruits that wanted to come here.

Pin that on whom you want, but you can't can't avoid good players because you're sure you're getting a great one, and then not get the great one.

I get it, but let's just mark it down that there is no "sure thing", especially when dealing with kids.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
People need to just get over the Diallo deal, the kid will probably never even play college hoops.
It will be very interesting to look back a year from now after all the ink that has been spilled on Diallo. "Tremendous upside" and "freak athletic ability" have been seen many times before. We shall see if that translates in college and/ or the pros thereafter. Competition level goes up....up.....the ladder. Better have the intestinal fortitude along with the physical gifts. We shall see if he lives up to the billing.

Reaction Score
We're UConn. We just had an abysmal 16-17 season with poor play and injuries.

We had to fire someone. But we're not firing our golden boy otherwise that'd cause a max exodus of players and personnel. They could have thrown Moore and Miller's name in a hat and picked who to fire - it didn't matter who was in charge or what caused it. Someone was getting the axe. This is a business.

"We had to fire someone" is what happens when optics and PR come before the actual process.

I don't buy that that is the reason. If Ollie was going to fire an assistant, it was because he had a damn good reason. He does not strike me as the type of guy who would do something like that just to shrug some of the weight off his back. It could be as simple as somebody else had contacted him expressing interest in the job, and somebody had to go.

Firing Miller - in and of itself - was not a business decision. Nobody aside from a handful of die-hards care who the assistant coaches are. If he was fired, it was because we found somebody better. Nobody is buying or not buying season tickets based on whether Glen Miller is employed.

C

Chief00

"A shake up was needed" and "something needed to change" are things that desperate people say when they're trying to make sense of something they don't understand.

With regard to Miller, it might be true. You take the Jimmy's and Joe's over the x's and o's every day, so if Chillious is going to start killing it on the trail, fine.

But I remain curious as to what the hell went on that caused this, because I think it runs deeper than Diallo or even Brown or Colson. There were schematic shifts during the second half of the season that made no sense to me at the time and I wonder if it could be related to a fall-out here. Say what you want about @Chief00 . He clearly heard from somebody that Miller was the zone guy. And if he was, and it worked so effectively, and then Ollie abruptly abandoned it...you have to ask some questions about the man in charge.

I just struggle to reconcile this as being some recruiting power move - at the expense of our lead scout - when so many of the problems this past season stemmed from an egregious mismanagement of resources. My instinct tells me that is on Ollie and my instinct tells me the wrong guy was scapegoated.

If it's a developmental and recruiting thing, fine. I'd be curious to hear more from insiders if word has trickled out, especially because, with regards to Diallo, the recruitment was directly related to on court play. Did Glen lose touch with that recruitment or did the program at large lose his pulse?

I think it was more about Bigs development and recruiting loses despite optimistic feedback during the process.

I know injuries, etc, but just give me your knee jerk answer - Do you think JC was happy with UConn tearing down its man tradition that he built for 3 decades for gimmick zones? Otherwise who would be Glen's biggest defender?

You say the stats indicated they worked but big picture our record did not reflect success. I think it's really about the tough culture man builds from within.
Also, the very guy Glen was the point recruiter on listed playing man D as a reason for going to UK.

C

Chief00

Lots here I agree with.

Reaction Score
I think it was more about Bigs development and recruiting loses despite optimistic feedback during the process.

I know injuries, etc, but just give me your knee jerk answer - Do you think JC was happy with UConn tearing down its man tradition that he built for 3 decades for gimmick zones? Otherwise who would be Glen's biggest defender?

You say the stats indicated they worked but big picture our record did not reflect success. I think it's really about the tough culture man builds from within.
Also, the very guy Glen was the point recruiter on listed playing man D as a reason for going to UK.

Chief you are a complete Fraud. Anyone who knows anything about Glenn Miller's coaching career knows he was a straight man to man defensive coach and a fast break, motion offense coach. Always highly regarded as an offensive coach. His team's both good and average always either led or were at the top of the league in scoring. He is a Jim Calhoun disciple and Calhoun has publicly stated on numerous occasions how good of an offensive mind coach Miller has. Kevin Ollie's defensive decisions were owned by him and his offensive schemes didn't resemble anything Glenn Miller ran as a head coach at any of his stops.

C

Chief00

Chief you are a complete Fraud. Anyone who knows anything about Glenn Miller's coaching career knows he was a straight man to man defensive coach and a fast break, motion offense coach. Always highly regarded as an offensive coach. His team's both good and average always either led or were at the top of the league in scoring. He is a Jim Calhoun disciple and Calhoun has publicly stated on numerous occasions how good of an offensive mind coach Miller has. Kevin Ollie's defensive decisions were owned by him and his offensive schemes didn't resemble anything Glenn Miller ran as a head coach at any of his stops.

I am not getting in the middle of this KO vs GM reincriminations after a decision has already been made. As someone said I have said at least 5 times - I wish GM the best and hope he finds a new job this weekend.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Two year relationships that could be swept away in a week by Coach Calipari.
Diallo's recruitment was the equivalent of getting the captain of the cheerleading squad who you've been crushing on for two years to go to the prom with you, renting a limo, renting a tux, buying her an expensive corsage, getting a hotel room, running out for some booze and returning to find out that the star quarterback snuck in and boinked your date....

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
To put it another way, we could be entering next season with this starting 5 if recruiting had gone better:

G: Adams
G: Brown
F: Larrier
F: Colson
F: Facey (RS-Sr)
That's a Final Four team right there.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah this is pretty spot on.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I am not getting in the middle of this KO vs GM reincriminations after a decision has already been made. As someone said I have said at least 5 times - I wish GM the best and hope he finds a new job this weekend.
You continually attribute the "gimmick zones" to Miller. You already are in the middle of it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This whole GM vs KO, KO is the culprit, GM is a defensive dummy, KO is a defensive idiot, GM lost the UK DB. KO lost the UK DB, this is KO's make or break year, JC is PO'd at GM for forcing the zone - all of it speculative BS
As CTBB stated - this is a business, after a tough year something had to happen
There's no smoking gun, my guess is the KO feels some pressure so he had some real heart to heart discussions with players and 2 left - too bad, get over it
AD Benedict had a heart to heart with KO and KO shook up his staff because he probably heard that the Washington debacle was coming and saw it to his advantage to hire Chili and had to lose someone - Miller was highest ranked AC, Chili had to become the highest ranked AC so naturally, GM is out
That's business boys

Reaction Score

X's n O's ..Wooden couldn't get this team to win in this conference ...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I figured we went to the zone when we had niggling injuries that further hampered an already depleted squad. A non zone team will employ the zone when a coach becomes concerned about his players "legs".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom