Glen Miller not a good recruiter? | The Boneyard

Glen Miller not a good recruiter?

Reaction Score
Really surprised that we don't have the scoop on what went on here. He was an integral part of the game plans on 2 extremely difficult national championship runs, the guy who spoke to tv and radio media instead of KO, along with point man on recruiting. Since we were beating Kentucky, Glen all of a sudden is no good at his job? No good at game time adjustment and X's and O's? He didn't do well coaching up our naturally talented bigs? If he couldn't close the deal on high profile recruits that ain't exactly his fault when you consider the choice recruits can make for tv exposure in big conference matchups and markets. Something stanks here.

Reaction Score
I wish coach Miller nothing but the best. A change needed to be made badly. Recruiting was good but not good enough every year but last year (including this year), we have struggled mightily in the post and on the court. Killings is new and has connections all over so he was staying. Ricky seems to be on the uptick in recruiting and that leaves Miller. Just like Hobbs he's a little older and maybe not as hungry as a younger guy (I can attest to that as I'm not near as hungry as I was 10 years ago). I think Coach was a genuinely nice guy but as the Diallo recruitment shows, Miller got played. I hope Chillious is indeed the guy, we need a national dude that is shown to be a 5-star closer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain Hobbs jumped off a sinking ship, he probably would've been the one with walking papers had he stayed.

As far as recruiting goes, losing your strong connection to New England is a much bigger deal than people seem to understand.

I'm sure Ricky is a good coach, probably has good connections to the south(mainly Georgia), but I wonder what makes him more valuable than Miller? Maybe he's the reason for our consistently solid defense?

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain Hobbs jumped off a sinking ship, he probably would've been the one with walking papers had he stayed.

As far as recruiting goes, losing your strong connection to New England is a much bigger deal than people seem to understand.

I'm sure Ricky is a good coach, probably has good connections to the south(mainly Georgia), but I wonder what makes him more valuable than Miller? Maybe he's the reason for our consistently solid defense?
Def. agree on Hobbs. Fair points.

Reaction Score
I wish coach Miller nothing but the best. A change needed to be made badly. Recruiting was good but not good enough every year but last year (including this year), we have struggled mightily in the post and on the court. Killings is new and has connections all over so he was staying. Ricky seems to be on the uptick in recruiting and that leaves Miller. Just like Hobbs he's a little older and maybe not as hungry as a younger guy (I can attest to that as I'm not near as hungry as I was 10 years ago). I think Coach was a genuinely nice guy but as the Diallo recruitment shows, Miller got played. I hope Chillious is indeed the guy, we need a national dude that is shown to be a 5-star closer.

How did Diallo's recruitment show? To my knowledge UConn has never beat Kentucky out on a recruit, yet with a terrible season UConn remained in Diallo's top two schools. My guess is that is because of the relationship Miller built with Diallo, maybe with more effort from KO the commitment could have been sealed.

Reaction Score
He also brought in Makai who is the highest ranked in the recruiting class. Not sure what exactly suggest that Miller is not a good recruiter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really surprised that we don't have the scoop on what went on here.
Miller was the point recruiter on Bonzie Colson, Bruce Brown and Hamidou Diallo. I think we know what went on here.

Killings went to UMass and has recruited New England kids. The new assistant coached at a New England prep school. And Ollie, of course, went to college in New England and has recruited some pretty damn good New England kids.

We're going to improve. No offense to Glen.

Reaction Score
Miller was the point recruiter on Bonzie Colson, Bruce Brown and Hamidou Diallo. I think we know what went on here.

Killings went to UMass and has recruited New England kids. The new assistant coached at a New England prep school. And Ollie, of course, went to college in New England and has recruited some pretty damn good New England kids.

Agree on all counts.

/End Thread

Reaction Score
How did Diallo's recruitment show? To my knowledge UConn has never beat Kentucky out on a recruit, yet with a terrible season UConn remained in Diallo's top two schools. My guess is that is because of the relationship Miller built with Diallo, maybe with more effort from KO the commitment could have been sealed.

I believe we beat Kentucky head-to-head for Ater Majok. Granted, he didn't work out too well as a player but neither school knew that at the time.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I believe we beat Kentucky head-to-head for Ater Majok.
"Why didn't you have the dominant career everyone thought you would?"
"I tear my jock." Ouch.

Reaction Score
"A shake up was needed" and "something needed to change" are things that desperate people say when they're trying to make sense of something they don't understand.

With regard to Miller, it might be true. You take the Jimmy's and Joe's over the x's and o's every day, so if Chillious is going to start killing it on the trail, fine.

But I remain curious as to what the hell went on that caused this, because I think it runs deeper than Diallo or even Brown or Colson. There were schematic shifts during the second half of the season that made no sense to me at the time and I wonder if it could be related to a fall-out here. Say what you want about @Chief00 . He clearly heard from somebody that Miller was the zone guy. And if he was, and it worked so effectively, and then Ollie abruptly abandoned it...you have to ask some questions about the man in charge.

I just struggle to reconcile this as being some recruiting power move - at the expense of our lead scout - when so many of the problems this past season stemmed from an egregious mismanagement of resources. My instinct tells me that is on Ollie and my instinct tells me the wrong guy was scapegoated.

If it's a developmental and recruiting thing, fine. I'd be curious to hear more from insiders if word has trickled out, especially because, with regards to Diallo, the recruitment was directly related to on court play. Did Glen lose touch with that recruitment or did the program at large lose his pulse?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

"A shake up was needed" and "something needed to change" are things that desperate people say when they're trying to make sense of something they don't understand.

With regard to Miller, it might be true. You take the Jimmy's and Joe's over the x's and o's every day, so if Chillious is going to start killing it on the trail, fine.

But I remain curious as to what the hell went on that caused this, because I think it runs deeper than Diallo or even Brown or Colson. There were schematic shifts during the second half of the season that made no sense to me at the time and I wonder if it could be related to a fall-out here. Say what you want about @Chief00 . He clearly heard from somebody that Miller was the zone guy. And if he was, and it worked so effectively, and then Ollie abruptly abandoned it...you have to ask some questions about the man in charge.

I just struggle to reconcile this as being some recruiting power move - at the expense of our lead scout - when so many of the problems this past season stemmed from an egregious mismanagement of resources. My instinct tells me that is on Ollie and my instinct tells me the wrong guy was scapegoated.

If it's a developmental and recruiting thing, fine. I'd be curious to hear more from insiders if word has trickled out, especially because, with regards to Diallo, the recruitment was directly related to on court play. Did Glen lose touch with that recruitment or did the program at large lose his pulse?
We're UConn. We just had an abysmal 16-17 season with poor play and injuries.

We had to fire someone. But we're not firing our golden boy otherwise that'd cause a max exodus of players and personnel. They could have thrown Moore and Miller's name in a hat and picked who to fire - it didn't matter who was in charge or what caused it. Someone was getting the axe. This is a business.

Reaction Score
We're UConn. We just had an abysmal 16-17 season with poor play and injuries.

We had to fire someone. But we're not firing our golden boy otherwise that'd cause a max exodus of players and personnel. They could have thrown Moore and Miller's name in a hat and picked who to fire - it didn't matter who was in charge or what caused it. Someone was getting the axe. This is a business.

Yep, and if this doesn't improve anything, we all who's name is next on this list.

Reaction Score
People need to just get over the Diallo deal, the kid will probably never even play college hoops.
Sure. The problem isn't that he didn't come here. The problem is that we were so sure he would that we messed up elsewhere and lost recruits that wanted to come here.

Pin that on whom you want, but you can't can't avoid good players because you're sure you're getting a great one, and then not get the great one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom