Givony’s 2024 NBA Draft: Projected Top 10 (Clingan #6, Castle #7) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Givony’s 2024 NBA Draft: Projected Top 10 (Clingan #6, Castle #7)

Reaction Score
But they do have to show it in college, don’t they.
Eh. Jett Howard's advanced stats were terrible. Mentioned Lively, he played awful for like 3 months before playing good on defense for the last 2 months. Still both went lottery. Dariq Whitehead, Keyonte Geroge. DIdn't play that well. Clowney didn't show much at all. Still all 3 top 22.

To be top 10 you do have to play well, I think that's true. So to hit where Castle/Clingan are projected they'll need to have big seasons and be close to our better players on a very good team. Or like if Solo Ball outplays Castle he could end up top 10, etc (happened with Anthony Black outplaying Nick Smith/Jordan Walsh).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When Castle committed he was ranked in the 20's of his class. Without playing a game he's in the Top 10 of the draft. That's UConn power, baby.

Reaction Score
But they do have to show it in college, don’t they.
No, for 80% of the guys who get selected in the lottery next year nothing they do this year will matter. 1 or 2 guys will play their way into being a lottery pick like Hawkins, and 1 or 2 will play their way out of being a lottery pick. But when the NBA drafts on potential you can pretty much lock in what teams are seeing now

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, for 80% of the guys who get selected in the lottery next year nothing they do this year will matter. 1 or 2 guys will play their way into being a lottery pick like Hawkins, and 1 or 2 will play their way out of being a lottery pick. But when the NBA drafts on potential you can pretty much lock in what teams are seeing now
Yes, but there is no point to preseason projections on anything. Castle might be #1 ir #22 or need more time, like, say, Bouknight. I also don’t get hopped up over one and done guys. As i said in another post i have zero issue with kids going pro out of hs if a team wants him even to go into a developmental situation. Cooper Flagg might be the greatest player in hoops history, but if his intent is going pro ASAP, let him do it.

Reaction Score
Yes, but there is no point to preseason projections on anything. Castle might be #1 ir #22 or need more time, like, say, Bouknight. I also don’t get hopped up over one and done guys. As i said in another post i have zero issue with kids going pro out of hs if a team wants him even to go into a developmental situation. Cooper Flagg might be the greatest player in hoops history, but if his intent is going pro ASAP, let him do it.
Then lock yourself in a dark room and avoid the internet until December. I feel you have to be intentionally missing the point with how many times it's been explained to you by now

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Then lock yourself in a dark room and avoid the internet until December. I feel you have to be intentionally missing the point with how many times it's been explained to you by now
Ditto for you. You might be the most pompous little guy on the BY. The font of wisdom you ain’t.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But they do have to show it in college, don’t they. Some show they aren’t that guy or need more time. By the way, I have no trouble with a player going pro directly from hs be it to the NBA or a lower development level. It would get rid of a lot of the recruiting bs to go after a “one and done” kids who have no great interest in college ball or pretending to be interested in academics. So called big time college sports now is amateur in only the most strained definition.
Wiseman went #2 I believe after only playing a few games in school. How they play in school really doesn’t matter unless they’re just awful.

It might matter for guards moreso than bigs though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wiseman went #2 I believe after only playing a few games in school. How they play in school really doesn’t matter unless they’re just awful.

It might matter for guards moreso than bigs though.
As i said, i have no trouble with a kid going pro out of hs if a team will take them. I just happen to think pre-season polls and rankings are pretty much worthless conversation pieces. I just don’t get hopped up ocer 1 and done kids. Do i enjoy watching them play? Sometimes. Do i want them to succeed, yes like any young person. Do i think it follows that they advance my favorite program? No i don’t . Can they, certainly. Is it a given? No. UConn championships have all had many jey players who were juniors and seniors and last year grad transfers. It is what it is. Castle might be equal to his predictions, but he still has to show somebody something.

Pro teams make mistakes. Cliff Robinson fell out of the first round. Tate George was taken in the first round which was silly for anyone who followed his career. Marginal shooter who made one magical shot who ‘s main skill was very steady ball handling.

Reaction Score
Preseason NBA mock drafts are based on how a player theoretically projects into the NBA, and where/how they performed during major tournaments (which is included in rankings). It is understood that HS is different than college and college is different than the NBA, so yes they are pretty much solely based on assumptions and not actual college data.

Castle is a 6’6 PG that can get anywhere on the court at will. It’s already being considered that his stats will be lower at UConn, but the build and behaviors are there. He has the benefit of being a starting guard on a really good team, so getting the attention won’t be an issue.

Unless he drastically underperforms this year, the scouts seemingly have their mind made up that he will go somewhere in the lottery. It’s up to him to decide if he wants to take it.

Teams loaded with one and and dones don’t usually win rings in college, but they sure are fun! The idea is better prospects = more attention = more visibility and money for the program. I’m very willing and very happy to take a one and done every year while building the rest of the roster with more continuity. Being in the mix for one and done level players means your program is very successful.

Reaction Score
Castle hasn’t had a single college assist or made basket. Pre career let alone preseason predictions are a hoot. At least Clingan has some basis for predictions.
I deal with it but not giving a hoot what NBA writers project as to how valuable an incoming college player will be when he gets to the NBA. I only worry about how good they are going to be the next year in college. I expect that freshman Castle can win conference rookie of the year, to give us far more as an frosh than AJ or Hawkins did and be a better starter this year than Karaban was last year. I don’t expect him to be first team all conference, much less first team all American. And I don’t need him to be. Worrying about whether in five years he’ll be an NBA all star can be someone else’s concern.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I deal with it but not giving a hoot what NBA writers project as to how valuable an incoming college player will be when he gets to the NBA. I only worry about how good they are going to be the next year in college. I expect that freshman Castle can win conference rookie of the year, to give us far more as an frosh than AJ or Hawkins did and be a better starter this year than Karaban was last year. I don’t expect him to be first team all conference, much less first team all American. And I don’t need him to be. Worrying about whether in five years he’ll be an NBA all star can be someone else’s concern.
I basically agree. if he helps UConn to be a big winner is where my head is. Whether he is drafted next year at all and at what number is just internet bs.

Reaction Score
If we have 2 top 10 NBA draft picks and we also have Newton, Karaban, Spencer and a whole slew of freshmen that are top 50 guys I don't see how this team can be ranked outside of the top 5 in the preseason. I really don't care about preseason rankings because you all know what happened last year. Lets hope Castle is as good as he's being projected to be and we can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
If we have 2 top 10 NBA draft picks and we also have Newton, Karaban, Spencer and a whole slew of freshmen that are top 50 guys I don't see how this team can be ranked outside of the top 5 in the preseason. I really don't care about preseason rankings because you all know what happened last year. Lets hope Castle is as good as he's being projected to be and we can stay healthy.

Those 40-80ish ranked guys are always kind of unpredictable. Freshman are freshman. Some are good, some are not, and most are inconsistent. I can see the hesitancy to rank us top-5, even if I disagree.

Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie of The Athletic has Clingan at #5, Castle at #6, and Karaban at #48 in his updated mock draft, with an interesting note on Jayden Ross.

Another guy to watch for the Huskies, by the way, is Jayden Ross, who has received strong reviews from scouting sources. A sharpshooter, Ross doesn’t profile as a one-and-done guy, but he does have the look of a future NBA player due to that ability to hit shots.

NBA Mock Draft: Alexandre Sarr leads uncertain class; Blue Devils, Huskies near top

Reaction Score
According to the announcers versus Stonehill, Caster is the strongest player on the team.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
According to the announcers versus Stonehill, Caster is the strongest player on the team.
Hard to believe, looking at Ball. But I heard that too.

*Castle :)

Reaction Score
I know that you can't teach being 7'2", but I am not seeing "lottery" from DC just yet. It could be that he is not himself yet after the injury, but I am not seeing an offensive skillset that translates to the next level, yet. And Castle is a freak. He is freaking special.
Keep looking

Reaction Score
I know that you can't teach being 7'2", but I am not seeing "lottery" from DC just yet. It could be that he is not himself yet after the injury, but I am not seeing an offensive skillset that translates to the next level, yet. And Castle is a freak. He is freaking special.

Can he catch lobs? That's all he needs for offense in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie of The Athletic has Clingan at #5, Castle at #6, and Karaban at #48 in his updated mock draft, with an interesting note on Jayden Ross.

Another guy to watch for the Huskies, by the way, is Jayden Ross, who has received strong reviews from scouting sources. A sharpshooter, Ross doesn’t profile as a one-and-done guy, but he does have the look of a future NBA player due to that ability to hit shots.

NBA Mock Draft: Alexandre Sarr leads uncertain class; Blue Devils, Huskies near top
Can someone explain the article title…

NBA Mock Draft: Alexandre Sarr at No. 1 (for now); two Duke Blue Devils in lottery​

The 2 UConn guys are 5&6, the puke guys are 8&11…yet he puts puke in the title. :rolleyes:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Can someone explain the article title…

NBA Mock Draft: Alexandre Sarr at No. 1 (for now); two Duke Blue Devils in lottery​

The 2 UConn guys are 5&6, the puke guys are 8&11…yet he puts puke in the title. :rolleyes:
SEO purposes probably.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom