Givony’s 2024 NBA Draft: Projected Top 10 (Clingan #6, Castle #7) | The Boneyard

Givony’s 2024 NBA Draft: Projected Top 10 (Clingan #6, Castle #7)

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
4B113E70-877D-4141-8B8C-FF488B1CB38B.png

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Why do I feel like 'Clingan and Castle' is gonna be the next 'Bazz and Boat' for UConn fans? I think the only difference may be that Cam and Karaban also start with the same consonance...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One of the mock drafts has Castle going #2.
If he really starts knocking down 3s and is playing good defense, I could see that. Seems to have a game that is very well suited to the NBA.

If Donovan is top 10 that would mean his offense has taken a huge leap, and he's shooting from outside and is scoring efficiently inside on non-dunks. Maybe a little baby hook or something.

This is a big part of what makes it fun to be a college sports fan. Watching these guys improve, seeing them make the most of their talent and fitting into a team concept. That extends to all the guys. Alex, Samson, the other freshman. I can see Solo being on the NBA radar coming into his sophomore year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Castle #4 and Clingan #5 in this one released today. They haven't played a game yet this season and they're moving up already. :)

Castle hasn’t had a single college assist or made basket. Pre career let alone preseason predictions are a hoot. At least Clingan has some basis for predictions.

Reaction Score
more like Emeka & Ben
We will take that in a heartbeat
However the supporting cast of ;
Anderson
Brown
Charlie V
Josh Boone
Hilton
Talek Brown
Williams
Was Pretty amazing .

Who compares to whom on that team .
Newton.
Karaban
Spencer
Johnson
Ball
Stewart
Diarra
Ross
Singare
Apostolos

I think Newton ( very underrated ) and Karaban if they didn’t start played serious minutes on the team . Spencer gets minutes off the bench
Diarra is an experienced Backup PG which that team didn’t have .
Johnson / Singare may have as. much upside potential as Hilton or Boone who was an unknown freshman ,
Charlie V and Williams were highly regarded but freshman.
I think a key is how much pop Diarra’s unit can contribute.
I got a feeling it may be a substantial.
If I’m right I will see you guys in Phoenix / Glendale in April
PS I’m not inviting anyone to my house . Maybe to my Golf course .

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Castle hasn’t had a single college assist or made basket. Pre career let alone preseason predictions are a hoot. At least Clingan has some basis for predictions.
When and if they open the NBA draft to high schoolers again, 3-5 players without a single college assist or made basket will be in the lottery every year. It is not a reach to believe that Castle will have top 5 draft pick potential based on his current profile and a year of high major experience.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When and if they open the NBA draft to high schoolers again, 3-5 players without a single college assist or made basket will be in the lottery every year. It is not a reach to believe that Castle will have top 5 draft pick potential based on his current profile and a year of high major experience.
It doesn’t make these preseason things any kess silly that they are done all the time.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It doesn’t make these preseason things any kess silly that they are done all the time.
So is agonizing over the basketball playing of 18 to 22 year olds nominally tied to your university of choice, yet, here we all are

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So is agonizing over the basketball playing of 18 to 22 year olds nominally tied to your university of choice, yet, here we all are
True. But I stopped agonizing a while ago. It’s just hoops. Life has a way of changing perspective. UConn football is a contributor to that. But I’m still going to the Rent Saturday because decades-old habits are hard to break. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Brother, the NBA mocks are always littered with incoming Freshman, this isn’t anything outlandish.
There is pretty much no point to pre season anything.
Not the mocks. The actual drafts. Jordan Hawkins was the first player selected in the 2023 NBA draft who played more than 1 year of college. He went 14th overall. The next 3 picks were also one and dones. Then a senior (Jaime Jaquez), then a soph who didn't play as a freshman at all, and then 3 more one and dones.

So essentially 2 picks of the first 22 NBA draft picks played in more than 1 year of college.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not the mocks. The actual drafts. Jordan Hawkins was the first player selected in the 2023 NBA draft who played more than 1 year of college. He went 14th overall. The next 3 picks were also one and dones. Then a senior (Jaime Jaquez), then a soph who didn't play as a freshman at all, and then 3 more one and dones.

So essentially 2 picks of the first 22 NBA draft picks played in more than 1 year of college.
There is some basis for predicting for guys who have actually played college ball like Clingan. Even he has some things to show now that he could get away without being a big factor last season. Now he will be the main man in the middle. Whether the pros are overly concerned about his other skills that needed work, especially on O, only they know. He would be impossible to defend if he can include a hook shot. He also tended to rush using the glass where even a hair of Sanogo’s patience might make a difference.

The way things have changed over the years in drafting make me wonder what would have happened to a Corny Thompson if he could have declared after his first year. He was a top 5, some said a #1 coming out of hs and pretty much lived up to expectations his first year. He tumbled a lot over the next 3 years. So yes, a first year guy can be a high pick, I just think it is meaningless to give any credence to predictions of future events based on potential as opposed to actual performance. Pre-season draft predictions have no real effect on the actual draft. Pre-season team rankings might be validated over time, but we all know that it takes a while for a higher ranked team to fall or a lower or unranked team to climb based on better or worse performance than expected. I think rankings probably shouldn‘t be a thing until maybe after a dozen games. But obviously this thread shows that lot‘s of fans like the pre-season stuff because it provides a basis to argue about the ranking or the quality of who is doing the ranking. It is still pretty meaningless.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yo . . . . Imagine how you'd feel if the Yard was shut down till November.
I would hopefully waste less time. I still try to be productive a couple of minutes a day when I’m not on the BY. I even have a vague recollection of doing something I think was called reading books.

Reaction Score
There is some basis for predicting for guys who have actually played college ball like Clingan. Even he has some things to show now that he could get away without being a big factor last season. Now he will be the main man in the middle. Whether the pros are overly concerned about his other skills that needed work, especially on O, only they know. He would be impossible to defend if he can include a hook shot. He also tended to rush using the glass where even a hair of Sanogo’s patience might make a difference.

The way things have changed over the years in drafting make me wonder what would have happened to a Corny Thompson if he could have declared after his first year. He was a top 5, some said a #1 coming out of hs and pretty much lived up to expectations his first year. He tumbled a lot over the next 3 years. So yes, a first year guy can be a high pick, I just think it is meaningless to give any credence to predictions of future events based on potential as opposed to actual performance. Pre-season draft predictions have no real effect on the actual draft. Pre-season team rankings might be validated over time, but we all know that it takes a while for a higher ranked team to fall or a lower or unranked team to climb based on better or worse performance than expected. I think rankings probably shouldn‘t be a thing until maybe after a dozen games. But obviously this thread shows that lot‘s of fans like the pre-season stuff because it provides a basis to argue about the ranking or the quality of who is doing the ranking. It is still pretty meaningless.
These guys have actual performance, it's just not in college. The websites scout the guys in HS. The NBA scouts the guys in HS. The website guys talk to the NBA scouts after scouting them in HS. It's not just grasping for straws. Outside of injury or supreme disappointment, the mocks of HS guys hold up well to the real drafts.

Derek Lively scored 177 total points in college, 5 per game over 34 games, and still went in the lottery. The year in college isn't as important as we want to pretend, as long as the guys still show the traits and measurements they showed in HS.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
These guys have actual performance, it's just not in college. The websites scout the guys in HS. The NBA scouts the guys in HS. The website guys talk to the NBA scouts after scouting them in HS. It's not just grasping for straws. Outside of injury or supreme disappointment, the mocks of HS guys hold up well to the real drafts.

Derek Lively scored 177 total points in college, 5 per game over 34 games, and still went in the lottery. The year in college isn't as important as we want to pretend, as long as the guys still show the traits and measurements they showed in HS.
But they do have to show it in college, don’t they. Some show they aren’t that guy or need more time. By the way, I have no trouble with a player going pro directly from hs be it to the NBA or a lower development level. It would get rid of a lot of the recruiting bs to go after a “one and done” kids who have no great interest in college ball or pretending to be interested in academics. So called big time college sports now is amateur in only the most strained definition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom