Giving scholarships to former walkons | The Boneyard

Giving scholarships to former walkons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seemed so cool coming off the title. Now I feel like it was the dumbest thing ever. We need dudes who can contribute on the court in games. I'm sure Pat an Njaminiand are great dudes but there are plenty of great dudes who don't get free rides to practice basketball and put on warmups.

Reaction Score
Seemed so cool coming off the title. Now I feel like it was the dumbest thing ever. We need dudes who can contribute on the court in games. I'm sure Pat an Njaminiand are great dudes but there are plenty of great dudes who don't get free rides to practice basketball and put on warmups.

I love this idea that a division one staff is giving scholarships to walkons at the expense of kids who are ready to come in and contribute. I understand after a loss like tonight the hysteria is going to go to 11 but you can't really believe that that's what's going on. Like there's a line of gamers dying to play here but Ollie says "Nah, Linehan is a nice kid so I'll go with him."

Reaction Score
I think people thought we did have players. Who knew KO couldn't tell a Yugo from a Ferrari?

Reaction Score
Is it possible we did this to improve our teams grade point average? I just assumed they were academic ringers.
Until I see them contribute on the court I'll assume that's all it was. UK definitely does this but it's easier to pull off when you have 6 High School all americans coming in.

Reaction Score
It's only a one year scholarship that wasn't going be used anyways. Makes no difference

Reaction Score
Until I see them contribute on the court I'll assume that's all it was. UK definitely does this but it's easier to pull off when you have 6 High School all americans coming in.

Do you really think that they turned down kids who could be contributing right now to give scholarships to walkons? I'm really curious. You think this when they give the scholarship to a kid well past the time they could add someone to the roster?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This assumes that no effort was made to recruit other players and that giving Lenehan/Amilo scholarships was Plan A. I don't have access to KO's daily planner but I'm pretty sure that he tried to get other players in those spots. No sane coach would burn scholarships like that unless all other options were exhausted.

Reaction Score
Do you really think that they turned down kids who could be contributing right now to give scholarships to walkons? I'm really curious. You think this when they give the scholarship to a kid well past the time they could add someone to the roster?
There are surely better (or should I say actual) players out there who would have been willing to do a 5th year at UConn.

Reaction Score
I tried googling "5th year graduate students on D1 rosters" but it was fruitless. Also, I'm not Ricky Moore, Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs, et al.

That's the point. You have zero idea what you're talking about. And you just ignore the fact that these walkons get scholarships for the season well after anyone could have committed. UConn was in on grad transfers - of course you don't know which ones - and they elected to go elsewhere. It's just mind-boggling that you think the staff chose walk-ons over potential contributors. It's beyond moronic. But keep repeating it.

Reaction Score
it's a meaningless argument. would you have rather given a scholarship to a lesser known player (that's all who was available) who would sit on the bench for a year and then transfer? <--- See Chad Wise, Ben Eaves, Robert Garrison, Shawn Ellison and countless others. Do you really think the staff turned down an impactful player in favor of a walk-on?

Reaction Score
Pat Lenehan's scholarship was announced on July 9.
Nnamdi Amilo's scholarship was announced on August 25.

Chances that UConn would have gotten a talented enough player that would provide meaningful minutes that close to the start of school? 0%.

Reaction Score
Pat Lenehan's scholarship was announced on July 9.
Nnamdi Amilo's scholarship was announced on August 25.

Chances that UConn would have gotten a talented enough player that would provide meaningful minutes that close to the start of school? 0%.

Sssshhh, facts hurt the OP's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger