Giving NCAA athletes another year of eligibility for coronavirus cancellations is costly (Update - Approved for Spring Sports) | The Boneyard

Giving NCAA athletes another year of eligibility for coronavirus cancellations is costly (Update - Approved for Spring Sports)

Reaction Score
Giving NCAA athletes another year of eligibility for coronavirus cancellations is costly

>>NCAA Division I schools’ plan to preserve an additional year of eligibility for athletes in spring sports whose seasons were lost due to the coronavirus pandemic could place a significant additional cost on athletics departments that will be facing declining revenue.

Giving an additional season of eligibility just to seniors on spring-sports teams could cost public schools in the Power Five conferences anywhere from $500,000 to $900,000, a USA TODAY analysis of schools’ financial reports to the NCAA shows.

Schools outside the Power Five would face lower amounts, but FCS schools that have relatively robust spring sports offerings could be looking at a cost of around $400,000. However, for the schools that would be facing amounts much lower than that, the additional revenue needed — even in the best circumstances — is hard to come by.<<

Reaction Score
I am of the view that it’s too bad they lost their final season, but it is also too bad that lots of people lost lots of things because of this situation. We have a friend who has had to cancel her wedding planned for Saturday. Another cancelled a trip to India to see her sick (not coved-19) mother. She doesn’t know if she will be able to ever see her again. Not even to mention the folks who lost jobs or even lives. One of the justifications for including sports in academic settings is that it teaches that sometimes things don’t work out. I know most of these guys grew up in everybody gets a trophy culture but I say no extra year.

Reaction Score
Naturally the devil will be in the detail and if there is any roster size relief.

Reaction Score

>>Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21.

Division I rules limit student-athletes to four seasons of competition in a five-year period. The Council’s decision allows schools to self-apply waivers to restore one of those seasons of competition for student-athletes who had competed while eligible in the COVID-19-shortened 2020 spring season

The Council also will allow schools to self-apply a one-year extension of eligibility for spring-sport student-athletes, effectively extending each student’s five-year “clock” by a year. This decision was especially important for student-athletes who had reached the end of their five-year clock in 2020 and saw their seasons end abruptly.<<

>>The Council also increased the roster limit in baseball for student-athletes impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, the only spring sport with such a limit.<<

Reaction Score
>>The Council also increased the roster limit in baseball for student-athletes impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, the only spring sport with such a limit.<<

Baseball has a set roster limit of 35 players on the spring roster. What other NCAA sports have a specified limit on the number of people on the roster? I just don't know of them.

Reaction Score

Of all the UConn baseball seniors, my guess is that Chris Winkel would be the most likely to return. I would think of all the seniors, he is the most likely getting some scholarship money. After Winkel, maybe Kenny Haus or Randy Polonia, but I'm not sure how long Polonia would want to remain in Storrs considering he was already using a redshirt year, this year was his fifth as a Husky.

Reaction Score
Of all the UConn baseball seniors, my guess is that Chris Winkel would be the most likely to return. I would think of all the seniors, he is the most likely getting some scholarship money. After Winkel, maybe Kenny Haus or Randy Polonia, but I'm not sure how long Polonia would want to remain in Storrs considering he was already using a redshirt year, this year was his fifth as a Husky.

I was kinda hoping (maybe selfishly from a pure baseball perspective) that Chris would decide to play another year w/ Pat. Missed that chance this truncated year and he gets another shot.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here

>>For baseball programs like UConn, which can have multiple players drafted by MLB each year, there could be a logjam. In its agreement with the players union, MLB plans only a five- or six-round draft, so UConn could have some draft-eligible juniors returning next year. Penders is willing to help players find new schools if it looks like they will not get the chance to play for the Huskies.

“You’re putting water in the pipe from both ends,” Penders said. “You’ve got guys coming back, guys coming in. What we don’t know is, will the NCAA have some other rule changes, just for year, where it might ease of transfers sitting out a year?

That would probably help with moving people around. … Guys who didn’t travel, didn’t play much, you’re going to be looking at the same guys ahead of you next year, most likely.”

Huskies senior Chris Winkel missed a chance to play this season with his younger brother, Pat, who had elbow surgery in January. If he chooses to go to grad school and return for a fifth season, the brothers could get another chance to play together in 2021.

“Chris would love to play professional baseball if he got the opportunity,” Penders said, “but short of that, he’s exploring graduate programs and he’s probably the most likely to want to extend his career.”<<

Reaction Score
The two guys we'd want back, I think, are C. Wink and Haus. I think C. Wink probably wants to play with his brother, and I'd think he needs a big, full year to help his pro baseball prospects. Haus was on no one's radar for the pros before that abbreviated season, so I think he's want another shot as well. I think the bigger wildcard is whether a truncated draft keeps Casparius at UConn for what would be his fourth year in college. Also, does Cody came back or is he looking to cash in?

So everyone will have strong lineups on paper going into next year if seniors don't have to move on, can I daydream about our:

Bushling (SS)
Stock (3B or LF)
P Winkel (C)
Crawford (1B)
K. Fedko (RF)
C. Winkel (CF)
C. Fedko (2B) (the truncated draft may force him back for his 4th year, along with the fact that he wasn't on fire at the start of this year)
Gozzo (DH) (if he's willing to spend a 5th year in college, which he may not be)

That lineup, on paper, could be better than the Springer/Olt/Nemeth era team.

Reaction Score
Giving NCAA athletes another year of eligibility for coronavirus cancellations is costly

>>NCAA Division I schools’ plan to preserve an additional year of eligibility for athletes in spring sports whose seasons were lost due to the coronavirus pandemic could place a significant additional cost on athletics departments that will be facing declining revenue.

Giving an additional season of eligibility just to seniors on spring-sports teams could cost public schools in the Power Five conferences anywhere from $500,000 to $900,000, a USA TODAY analysis of schools’ financial reports to the NCAA shows.

Schools outside the Power Five would face lower amounts, but FCS schools that have relatively robust spring sports offerings could be looking at a cost of around $400,000. However, for the schools that would be facing amounts much lower than that, the additional revenue needed — even in the best circumstances — is hard to come by.<<
I Agree. Besides, the seniors are not the only ones who lost a year of eligibility. They are not offering the underclassmen or women a chance to recoup the lost year.

Reaction Score
Figure we should list the seniors with no eligibility left on the UConn baseball roster, at least before the NCAA decision to grant them another year:

Chris Winkel
David Langer
Cole Brodnansky
Conor Moriarty
Mike Chiovitti
Kenny Haus
Randy Polonia

I don't know who on this list gets scholarship money, but my guess is that Winkel is the most likely. Would the others want to return with little or no scholarship money? Your guess is as good as mine.

In addition, it is always possible that a junior or a redshirt sophomore could go pro. With the truncated MLB draft, my guess is that Caleb Wurster is probably the only UConn player from this past season with a real chance to get drafted. I have no idea what will happen with Ben Casparius, but you would have to think that the possibility that he might return to Storrs is rising with the limited draft.

Reaction Score
I’m hearing that it’s very likely Chris Winkel will return in 2021. Big Wink was as hot as a firecracker when the season abruptly ended. He revamped his swing last off season and he was just getting comfortable with it. With another year to work out the kinks, Big Wink could make a huge push to catch the attention of MLB brass who already know his athleticism is off the charts.

The 2021 season can’t come soon enough!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That lineup, on paper, could be better than the Springer/Olt/Nemeth era team.

That's a tall comparison. If you are talking the 2010 team you are looking at not only 15 future draft picks on that team and 6 future Major League Baseball players. A team that won a ridiculous 22 straight games. For the 2011 team, swap Verdi (and Marzi and Fuller - UDFA signs) for Olt and LePage.

Players from the 2010 team -
2013 4th Mets LJ Mazzilli (and 2012)
2013 24th Pirates Carson Cross
2012 15th Rockies Scott Oberg
2012 18th Nationals Dave Fischer (and 2011)
2011 1st Astros George Springer
2011 1st Red Sox Matt Barnes
2011 2nd Braves Nick Ahmed
2011 17th Cubs John Andreoli

2011 18th Marlins Greg Nappo
2011 19th White Sox Kevin Vance
2011 21st Brewers Mike Nemeth
2011 35th Brewers Doug Elliot
2011 39th Brewers Elliot Glynn (and 2010)
2010 1st (c) Rangers Mike Olt
2010 13th Cubs Pierre LePage

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom