Given football is so important… | The Boneyard

Given football is so important…

Reaction Score
I know much if this has been discussed already,
but …

When will there be power conferences built on football only? Why do power conferences today include or care about any of the other sports?

Seems what might fit UConn would be a football only conference of 8 or so schools.
Maybe a few that would crack the top 25 some years, just no perennial top 10 programs. Could that work financially?

Army and Navy would be a good start. There might be more candidates interested in this model in the future given all the other conference changes going on.

Army, Navy would be a good start. If important to play top 20 teams, try to get a few on the schedule regularly.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
There are some really long-winded answers to your first question. I believe the P5 conferences were established with some loyalty in mind, whether it was history or politics that kept schools like OK and OK state together, or why Duke and schools like Wake are in the P5. Then there were to contracts for football, which is why Rutgers is now in the B1G. Many things have changed over the last few years, including streaming services which have changed the way contracts will be negotiated going forward. Oklahoma and Texas going to the SEC shows us that loyalty no longer matters and it is all about money, or simply the possibility/promise of more money. I think that going forward we are going to see a shift, and it will likely be based on fan bases rather than television markets alone, and how much value a school brings to a conference in terms of contracts. With loyalty and regional rivalries out the window, no one is going to want to foot the bill to drag along schools like Duke and Rutgers in the future.

Reaction Score
When will there be power conferences built on football only? Why do power conferences today include or care about any of the other sports?
Most likely when they rescind Title IX first of all, but .....
Q. How is Title IX applied to athletics?
  • Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. ...
That's just the first hurdle, then you have to figure out how the schools give up possibly millions of dollars that non football donors make due to other programs. Take a walk on any campus or through a field house and view the names of the fields, courts, rinks, trophy cases etc. They will all bear that of a donor in some way shape or form. Former player or supportive family and that of alumni who enjoy more than just football.
As many say "football drives the bus" that does not mean there are no important passengers behind the driver. ;)

Reaction Score
There are some really long-winded answers to your first question. I believe the P5 conferences were established with some loyalty in mind, whether it was history or politics that kept schools like OK and OK state together, or why Duke and schools like Wake are in the P5. Then there were to contracts for football, which is why Rutgers is now in the B1G. Many things have changed over the last few years, including streaming services which have changed the way contracts will be negotiated going forward. Oklahoma and Texas going to the SEC shows us that loyalty no longer matters and it is all about money, or simply the possibility/promise of more money. I think that going forward we are going to see a shift, and it will likely be based on fan bases rather than television markets alone, and how much value a school brings to a conference in terms of contracts. With loyalty and regional rivalries out the window, no one is going to want to foot the bill to drag along schools like Duke and Rutgers in the future.
In any conference there will be winners and draggers. You put together a super conference of the top 6 from the SEC, B1G and PAC and 9 will have losing records and no post season game. pretty soon TN, Ole Miss, UCLA, MI State will be considered the drag schools because the top recruits will still float to the top schools in any conference And they will be in the bottom half almost every year, their TV ratings wil sink and the top of the conference will question why they should be in a conference with them Inside of 10 years.

for UConn, a conference affiliation with the B1G or ACC makes sense. A conference of 8-10 mid level schools with 1 or 2 in the top 25 is no different than the AAC and independence is better than that except for bowl access. As an independent, UConn needs to be at least 1 win better than they would have needed in a conference to get a bowl invite (7-5 versus 6-6).

Reaction Score
In any conference there will be winners and draggers. You put together a super conference of the top 6 from the SEC, B1G and PAC and 9 will have losing records and no post season game. pretty soon TN, Ole Miss, UCLA, MI State will be considered the drag schools because the top recruits will still float to the top schools in any conference And they will be in the bottom half almost every year, their TV ratings wil sink and the top of the conference will question why they should be in a conference with them Inside of 10 years.

for UConn, a conference affiliation with the B1G or ACC makes sense. A conference of 8-10 mid level schools with 1 or 2 in the top 25 is no different than the AAC and independence is better than that except for bowl access. As an independent, UConn needs to be at least 1 win better than they would have needed in a conference to get a bowl invite (7-5 versus 6-6).
I think we can use independence and our CBS deal to recruit better and have a better record. We just need to sell it properly. Other than money, I’m not sure we’d have it too much better as part of a conference. A good coach and a decent budget are more critical.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually didn’t have a problem with most of the football side of the aac before the recent changes. It was a good football conference that didn’t get the chance to catch on. There are still a few left that would be fine with me in a new football only conference (SMU, Memphis, USF, Navy, ...).

The problem is, I just don’t see how we get in any of the existing conferences. Only the acc is a long shot if some of the top football schools that oppose adding UConn moved on to other conferences. Even then bc would likely remain and continue to oppose adding UConn. The remaining basketball members would need to override bc.

I’m not comfortable with independent status as a long term solution.

Reaction Score
ohhhhhh cool a bunch of nonsense counterfactuals!

"Given that Germany won WW2"
"Given that the moon is made of cheese"
"Given that the Earth is the center of the solar system"

To us, football is not important. At all. Small potatoes compared to our BBall prestige programs. We cemented this with our move to the Big East.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score

To us, football is not important. At all. Small potatoes compared to our BBall prestige programs. We cemented this with our move to the Big East.
Given that you're in the wrong forum, you're only two clicks away from the prestige of "us." Click on "UConn Athletics", then "UConn Men's Basketball."

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

Yes our football program would be in a much better place if we were in the conference that’s about to add North Texas and Georgia State

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I know much if this has been discussed already,
but …

Seems what might fit UConn would be a football only conference of 8 or so schools.
Maybe a few that would crack the top 25 some years, just no perennial top 10 programs. Could that work financially?

Army and Navy would be a good start. There might be more candidates interested in this model in the future given all the other conference changes going on.

Army, Navy would be a good start. If important to play top 20 teams, try to get a few on the schedule regularly.

1. The real P5 programs don't need to make such a distinction. In fact, of the top 20 traditional FB powers were to form a super league, they'd likely face a huge backlash on par with European Soccer's recent attempt. They may still try, but for now, they own everything anyway. Why rock the boat when the status quo benefits you immensely?

2. It's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that when it comes to FB, other schools don't choose to associate with UConn, they are stuck associating with UConn. Army and Navy want national schedules not regional ones and are not driven by media payouts, so the premise is off.

Reaction Score

I don't know who "us" is, but thanks for your short-sighted interest in UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest is 5-0. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I really do enjoy watching both bb teams. The bb tournaments are great, as are all the championships won by the men and women. But none of that comes close to football success for me. And the thought that bc actually blocked UConn from the acc will make me hate them forever.

If the UConn men’s bb team works their way back to perennial top 10, that will be great. But there is still a huge letdown even after all these years from what was once possible in football.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

My guess is your should stay in your lane and that is basketball and leave football up to football fans

Reaction Score

You don't speak for "us". Personally I'd burn down the basketball programs to get a football program that's in the top 10 every year. Lool at Cincinnati who is spending 4 mil on their football coach and 1.5 on their ball coach. There is no reason UConn should be paying anything less than 3-3.5 mil on the next football coach

Reaction Score
You don't speak for "us". Personally I'd burn down the basketball programs to get a football program that's in the top 10 every year. Lool at Cincinnati who is spending 4 mil on their football coach and 1.5 on their ball coach. There is no reason UConn should be paying anything less than 3-3.5 mil on the next football coach

Yea this is the type of nonsense I'm talking about. This very insular, culty, "we don't need no outsiders opinion, ya'll" crap

My post above clearly made some of you butthurt - sometimes the truth does that to those in denial so I'm not sorry and actually let me double down and say to all of you that quoted my post questioning who "us" is, or telling me I belong on the basketball board for...um... saying the truth.

Get you heads screwed back on right. Live in the real world for a minute. Someone speaking the obvious truth should not trigger you snowflakes into shooting off venom to me. Actually I am precisely the person you need to be figuring out a way to prove that football is still worth our investment of time/energy/attendance/money.

I used to be a UConn football season ticket holder. I am an alum from '08. I was a huge supporter of our aggressive jump into 1A, and was at the Rent for all the big games. I flew to the fiesta bowl and donated in the past. Shoot, I used to post roster breakdowns in this very forum before I realized how broken this program was. My entire family used to tailgait and attend all homegames - it was a fun tradition for us. But for a decade the football program has done nothing but be an outright embarrassment, it became literally too miserable to watch that our tailgate party broke down, and the program became an anchor to our nationally recognized and main branding tool - basketball.

So, when I see people talking about how much of a "given" it is that football is important, you need to get with the program of how perilous and inconsequential this program is to the schools current strategy. The only given in our program currently is that Clemson is going to be running dive plays the entire second half to keep the game under 100.

I think moving to Independent, while a total basketball driven decision, has turned out to be a boost for the program. I think canning Edsall, especially in the unceremonious way we did, was a must to regain our dignity. Where we go from here who knows. But a given? get real fellas.

Reaction Score
P5 football schools are going to break away from the NCAA. Once that is set look for MBB + WBB to follow. Why would they want to share revenue with the other 250+ schools ? That means they can take 80% of all TV money + bids to the NCAA Tournament. Basketball priority schools will be left behind . Kind of like 1A and 1AA in football. What kind of value will UC WBB have as a non P5 program after Gino retires ? UC football is the blueprint. Either you play football with the big boys or become irrelevant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom