Give Deandre the ****ing ball | The Boneyard

Give Deandre the ****ing ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
26 points on 9-12 shooting. And they didn't give him the ball in half court sets all night. He is a nightmare for opposing 4s, let's utilize that mismatch a little better.

caw

Reaction Score
To be fair there weren't a ton of half court sets.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I understand that, but I don't think they ran one play for him outside of the first possession.

This kid is gonna be our best player next year, and this coming from one of Shabazz's biggest fans.

Reaction Score
But to your point, I thought back to the game he had against Harvard (23 points, 9-12 FGs) He does have a nice skill-set & should be utilized a little more..

I think in any game, our 2 guards will be the best players for us and then it trickles down to DD and then the rest..

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think the more you give him the ball, the easier it is on Bazz and Boat to score themselves. When the three of them are clicking, our offense is going to explode (like tonight).

Reactions: SJ
Reaction Score
I think it's fine. He was getting tons of easy looks from plays where he didn't have to put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble. Let him run and move without it, it's better than handing it to him and letting him try to create something when we have two speedy guards who can penetrate and pull defenders.

Reaction Score
What a great way to respond to his unfortunate benching for the latter part of the Marquette game. DD basically said he deserved to get benched and he came out tonight and grabbed eight boards in addition to his 26 points. Sure, Depaul is not world-beater competition, but it looks like KO can motivate players a bit.

A great sign from this kid. love the attitude. i think DD`s biggest problem is strength. he really really needs to hit the weights. if he can put on 5-10 lbs of solid muscle he can be a big time player. the talent and skill set is there he just needs to sharpen them up a bit and add strength. DD,SN,OC,RB thats for guys who can put up a lot of points. itd be nice to keep them together another year.

Reaction Score
We are a guard oriented offense. DD will get his shots. If you haven't noticed, whenever he has the ball he is thinking of shooting anyway. Even Ollie commented on that. I just wish he could play the 3 and really take off.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This game would've been great for him to work on his post moves against a good player in melvin

Reaction Score
26 points on 9-12 shooting. And they didn't give him the ball in half court sets all night. He is a nightmare for opposing 4s, let's utilize that mismatch a little better.
Our rebounding edge makes players like Boatright and Daniels push the floor for some easy shots. We would be very dangerous this year if we had an "Adrien" type player underneath.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Our rebounding edge makes players like Boatright and Daniels push the floor for some easy shots. We would be very dangerous this year if we had an "Adrien" type player underneath.

The Player Who Shall Not Be Named vs 'Bama last night: 16 pts, 10 rebounds (2 offensive), 2 blocks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a matter of DD getting the ball more as much as it is getting Boat to give it up more.

Reaction Score
Looked like the kid he was hyped to be when he came in. Hope he keeps it up going forward. That will give us a true weapon.

caw

Reaction Score
DD has been pretty solid all year from a point production standpoint. This was the first game he really dominated though, and it was against a pretty solid 4 in Melvin. I don't think he will be able to do this every game, but if this effort flows into next year, he could be pretty special.

Reaction Score
What a great way to respond to his unfortunate benching for the latter part of the Marquette game. DD basically said he deserved to get benched and he came out tonight and grabbed eight boards in addition to his 26 points. Sure, Depaul is not world-beater competition, but it looks like KO can motivate players a bit.
i was thinking the same thing...

the kid took his medicine and then responded with exactly what you'd hope. He didn't sulk, get down on himself, or point the finger. He came out with his best game... Way to take accountability.

Great job DD!!! Keep it up.

Reaction Score
I love what I saw out of DD last night. I wish we would get more of that from him.

The only negative thing I can say is after going to a few games I noticed that DD tends to disappear out there sometimes. He often gets caught up making lazy cuts and allows himself the be denied the ball or he doesn't post up aggressively and demand the ball on his sweet spots.

Hopefully Ollie has lit a fire under him and this game gives him the confidence to build on.

When he is being aggressive offensively and stays in attack mode the whole team is better overall because he will not only get his points but create better spacing for the guards to get easier looks

Reaction Score
He came to UConn with a big time reputation. He didn't show much last year, but seems to be growing into his rep this season. We don't have much in the way of rebounders, so a lot of it falls to him. When he is playing well he gives us a 3rd option and that is incredibly helpful to this team which is very heavily guard oriented.

Reaction Score
I agree with the excitement about DD. He has a nice touch inside. He's let himself get frustrated by stronger players pushing him around inside and that will happen, but if he keeps pushing in there he will get his share of points and rebounds and will cause matchup problems for the opponent. When he goes out because he's gotten frustrated we become more one dimentional. Although the combo of Wolf and Olander have helped us to not rely entirely on shabazz and boat, DD as the third scoring option we have needed really shows us what the team can be. If we develop a solid post presence with Wolf and/or Olander, DD will be free to operate and will continue to have success. Most teams won't be be to handle him outside and inside. But if he reverts to just shooting threes he will play right into opponents hands. He needs to continue to seek the tough inside shots and putbacks. (Take the stairs Deandre!!!)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last season was a tough one. His younger sister was diagnosed with cancer. I'm not sure of the family situation, but I thought she was in CT and DD was involved with her care. I could be wrong about this. He also had an adjustment living in CT from Cali. So all in all it was a setback season.

This season he's playing out of position. That doesn't help. Furthermore he seems to have the personality of Ben Gordon, where the coach needs to keep prodding the player to believe in themselves. I'm really happy he responded to KO. And he did it against Melvin so it wasn't like he was playing a against a shorter or slower 4. Great game and hopefully DD will be able to produce the intensity from within himself as opposed to coach Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom