Girl Power: UConn in a League of Its Own | The Boneyard

Girl Power: UConn in a League of Its Own

Reaction Score
Great post. To me the reason that power conferences don't want Uconn is Uconn is too good.Uconn would dominate any conference they participate in. The Elites in the power conference would be relegated to also rans. Uconn has proven that when they play a power conference team, it's the same ol story, no competition. I believe Uconn has a winning record against EVERY power conference team they have played. I for one am content for Uconn to stay where they are and keep making unbreakable records.GO HUSKIES!!!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Great post. To me the reason that power conferences don't want Uconn is Uconn is too good.Uconn would dominate any conference they participate in. The Elites in the power conference would be relegated to also rans. Uconn has proven that when they play a power conference team, it's the same ol story, no competition. I believe Uconn has a winning record against EVERY power conference team they have played. I for one am content for Uconn to stay where they are and keep making unbreakable records.GO HUSKIES!!!!
Disagree. The reason power conferences don't want UConn has nothing to do with basketball. UConn football is the reason.

Reaction Score
I agree that UCONN WBB would dominate any conference they are in but I don't think that has anything to do with why they are snubbed by power conferences in their expansion. The truth is admittance is gotten through the money sport, football, and that is the one sport at UCONN that isn't too competitive. If they can figure out how to put people in the stands and win national games they would be a great addition to any conference. I for one would love to see them in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Put aside the fact that WCBB has zero to do with realignment decisions. Do you think if Alabama decided that they wanted to join the Big 10 that the Big 10 would say "No, sorry, you're too good for us"?

Reaction Score
Disagree. The reason power conferences don't want UConn has nothing to do with basketball. UConn football is the reason.
I know that the Uconn football team is a major factor. My take is that the football team is an excuse to deny Uconn into their conference. UCONN has followers all over the States and to believe that irregardless of Uconn's football team, that there would not be a huge upside to Uconn joining the conference. I don't really follow College football teams other than if something makes headlines, but I think that there are some teams in Power Conferences that are on a par with Uconn's men's team. Just a guess. I thought that Uconn's football team made a Bowl game last year.

Reaction Score
Would UConn wbb dominate the SEC, ACC and Big 10?

They would be the Top program in any conference just as they are the top program in the country. But “dominate” in the sense that they have dominated the Big East and AAC? No. They would face challengers like they did when Notre Dame was in the Big East.

Would they dominate the SEC as it is constituted at this time with Kim and Dawn? Well I guess that depends on the word “dominate.” Would they win some conference/tournament championships so long as Geno is active? Yes. Would they win more than Dawn or Kim? Very possibly. Would they win them every year? Highly doubtful given the national championship history of the past ten years?

And nobody dominates forever. Your next coach? Even if very very very good, she won’t be Geno .

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Very impressed that the folks at THE UCONN APPEAL referred to UConn as "it" and not "they."

sun

Reaction Score
Any of the four remaining Power Conferences have the opportunity today to add the school that is largely responsible for the women’s sports revolution. What exactly are they waiting for? - UConn Appeal

They're waiting for UConn football to win enough games on a regular basis to be a respectable program.
And they need WCBB to begin earning revenue from March Madness.
NIL & the transfer portal represent a new age in college sports that UConn needs to take advantage of in order to get invited to the power conference that best fits its overall profile.
There may also be some concern about the future transition of head coaches for both UConn WBB & football.
The TV networks probably also have a say about which schools add TV revenues to a conference that expands by being willing to add pro-rata payments for adding schools, i.e. - UConn.
When the stars align then UConn will receive a power conference invitation.
UConn only recently switched to the Big East & can't just haphazardly switch conferences.
UConn's next conference jump will be for the long term.
But UConn football really does need to establish a winning tradition first or it's only a paper tiger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any of the four remaining Power Conferences have the opportunity today to add the school that is largely responsible for the women’s sports revolution. What exactly are they waiting for? - UConn Appeal

They're waiting for UConn football to demonstrate enough fan duppprt through attendance and tv eyeballs

on a regular basis to be a respectable program.
NIL & the transfer portal represent a new age in college sports that UConn needs to take advantage of in order to get invited to the power conference that best fits its overall profile.
There may also be some concern about the future transition of head coaches for both UConn WBB & football.
The TV networks probably also have a say about which schools add TV revenues to a conference that expands by being willing to add pro-rata payments for adding schools, i.e. - UConn.
UConn only recently switched to the Big East & can't just haphazardly switch conferences.
But UConn football really does need to establish fan support first or it's only a paper tiger.
FIFY

But, if it takes winning to generate fan support, you are correct.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I seldom see power or politics cited as “driving the bus,” but those factors are the only ones that logically fits all the evidence.

Football fits the evidence the least, considering that: 1) Power conferences have both historically good and bad teams; 2) Newcomers gobbled up mostly have not been at the top of the football heap; 3) Programs are dynamic, any program has the potential to become good with the right coaching and administration.

Media footprint fits the data a little better, new media markets are generally achieved with realignment decisions. Football of course plays a roll in this, probably why it is conveniently cited as “driving the bus,” but it is not the only factor in expanding media markets, which explains why so many mediocre football programs have found a major conference home. Yet understanding why a program with as much media market potential as UConn has not made the cut you need to turn to another factor driving everything else.

The push for ever larger conferences brings the promise of greater autonomy from the NCAA, with whom there has been growing dissatisfaction from universities. Football contributes to media markets, media markets contributes to wealth, wealth contributes to autonomy and power. With power comes politics and politics is not always rational. Early on some political decisions were made that disadvantaged UConn; we’ve been fighting an uphill battle with realignment ever since.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From someone on the outside looking in, it appears that UConn is being snubbed by the "power" conferences. Everything I've read here in the yard indicates UConn's football program is the reason. If UConn is serious about joining a power conference, why don't they make upgrading the thing that's holding it back? Make upgrading their football program priority one.

I'm a UConn WBB fan. I don't really care what their conference affiliation is. I'm not complaining about them being in the BIG East. They have proven they can win national championships in basketball regardless of conference affiliation. I once read that the best way to achieve your goals is to look at the end of the journey (where you want to be), then work backward and check off the boxes you need to - to get there. All the way back to where you are right now.

I won't begin to try and suggest a course of action. The experts can do that. A "proven" workable game plan should be established and put into action to achieve that goal. The resources and personnel needed should also be identified. It appears to me that in Jim Mora, UConn has employed a coach that can lead them in the right direction in improving the quality of its program and its standing in the college football community.

Like an individual that can't seem to get the employment position they want. Interview after interview, they don't get the job.
If your car is running poorly, your engine is missing and sputtering, and you've been told you need a tune-up, what do you do? Keep driving it hoping in time things will improve and it will run better, or do you get that tune-up?

If you've been told your current level of education and your lack of experience is what's holding you back, then upgrade your experience and education. If a master's degree and 5 years of experience are preferred, then get that degree and then get the experience.

If UConn's football program starts to win consistently against the top 35 ranked programs in the country, the fans WILL return. EVERYONE likes a winner and wants to be part of one. Build it and they will come. The news media will take notice also.

Bottom line......if you're not going to fix the problem that has clearly been identified, don't complain about the consequences. Fix the problem.

Reaction Score
Not argumentative, please, just an honest question. First--I dislike Mulkey, but she recruits and she wins.
How does Uconn match up with LSU?

Reaction Score

They're waiting for UConn football to win enough games on a regular basis to be a respectable program.
But UConn football really does need to establish a winning tradition first or it's only a paper tiger.

Reaction Score
From someone on the outside looking in, it appears that UConn is being snubbed by the "power" conferences. Everything I've read here in the yard indicates UConn's football program is the reason. If UConn is serious about joining a power conference, why don't they make upgrading the thing that's holding it back? Make upgrading their football program priority one.

I'm a UConn WBB fan. I don't really care what their conference affiliation is. I'm not complaining about them being in the BIG East. They have proven they can win national championships in basketball regardless of conference affiliation. I once read that the best way to achieve your goals is to look at the end of the journey (where you want to be), then work backward and check off the boxes you need to - to get there. All the way back to where you are right now.

I won't begin to try and suggest a course of action. The experts can do that. A "proven" workable game plan should be established and put into action to achieve that goal. The resources and personnel needed should also be identified. It appears to me that in Jim Mora, UConn has employed a coach that can lead them in the right direction in improving the quality of its program and its standing in the college football community.

Like an individual that can't seem to get the employment position they want. Interview after interview, they don't get the job.
If your car is running poorly, your engine is missing and sputtering, and you've been told you need a tune-up, what do you do? Keep driving it hoping in time things will improve and it will run better, or do you get that tune-up?

If you've been told your current level of education and your lack of experience is what's holding you back, then upgrade your experience and education. If a master's degree and 5 years of experience are preferred, then get that degree and then get the experience.

If UConn's football program starts to win consistently against the top 35 ranked programs in the country, the fans WILL return. EVERYONE likes a winner and wants to be part of one. Build it and they will come. The news media will take notice also.

Bottom line......if you're not going to fix the problem that has clearly been identified, don't complain about the consequences. Fix the problem.
Here is the problem: you’re narrative of UConn football is formed by the national media, who write based on sources they don’t name who likely never even visited Storrs (nor have those who write the articles either.) And that narrative about upgrading the football program is flat out WRONG.

UConn’s downfall over the past decade was because they hired three consecutive coaches who weren’t good fits. It’s not because the facilities are bad or because the administration isn’t invested in football.

All that said, I don’t blame you one bit for thinking about UConn football the way you do, though. This is exactly why I launched The UConn Appeal to finally push back against what the national media throws out that is wrong and goes left unchecked. Here are a few articles to help with that:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here is the problem: you’re narrative of UConn football is formed by the national media, who write based on sources they don’t name who likely never even visited Storrs (nor have those who write the articles either.) And that narrative about upgrading the football program is flat out WRONG.

UConn’s downfall over the past decade was because they hired three consecutive coaches who weren’t good fits. It’s not because the facilities are bad or because the administration isn’t invested in football.

All that said, I don’t blame you one bit for thinking about UConn football the way you do, though. This is exactly why I launched The UConn Appeal to finally push back against what the national media throws out that is wrong and goes left unchecked. Here are a few articles to help with that:

Thanks for the response. I bow to your knowledge and understanding of this issue. I’m 3,000 miles away and have never set foot in Connecticut. If UConn alumni and fans want to join a power conference, I’m with them, but I personally don’t have a dog in that race.

sun

Reaction Score
UConn football is playing 3 games against the ACC & one against the SEC this year.
Winning some of these games would be a good way to get the attention of the ACC.
It's possible that Coach Mora is the guy who can eventually get UConn an ACC invitation.
It may not happen overnight but perhaps sooner than many UConn fans expect.
I'm happy to let the TV analysts & the accountants worry about how the process works itself out.
It's all about timing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the response. I bow to your knowledge and understanding of this issue. I’m 3,000 miles away and have never set foot in Connecticut. If UConn alumni and fans want to join a power conference, I’m with them, but I personally don’t have a dog in that race.
Thanks for commenting here and supporting the Lady Huskies from 3,000 miles away! That’s freaking awesome! Stay well, Carnac!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
" . . . the opportunity today to add the school that is largely responsible for the women’s sports revolution."

Title IX is largely responsible for the growth in women's sports. Beyond that you have to look at all the pioneering women that were on the scene way before Geno Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Nope, it’s perception of UConn football. Just morons repeating moronic perceptions.

Reaction Score
" . . . the opportunity today to add the school that is largely responsible for the women’s sports revolution."

Title IX is largely responsible for the growth in women's sports. Beyond that you have to look at all the pioneering women that were on the scene way before Geno Auriemma.
I mean if you want to go by the literal textbook definition, than you are correct. But UConn’s dominance propelled the category forward in a way that you can’t debate because it generated so many eyeballs for female athletes and exposure for their incredible talents that previously didn’t exist (at least to the level it does today and there still is a lot of work to do).

It’s really sad that this was the case, especially in the 2000s, but I’m glad it happened because women deserve the spotlight just as much - if not more - than men.

Reaction Score
UConn class of 1974 here.

I love UConn women's sports. WBB, field hockey, ice hockey, etc, along with MBB, men's soccer, men's ice hockey, baseball, have put/kept us on the national stage. BUT........the fact remains............college women's sports do NOT move the television needle, whether we wish to accept it or not.

$$$$$$$$$..........It's all about football. Period.

sun

Reaction Score
Below is a pictorial history of women in the Olympics.
Title IX was passed in 1972, the same year that women's basketball debuted in the Olympics.
But a female sport was first introduced in the 2nd Olympics in 1900 & the number has continued to grow ever since.
UConn may have helped popularize women's basketball enough so that the US could win more gold medals in Olympic WBB.
The summer Olympics have 33 sports & the winter Olympics have 7 sports, & UConn only helped to popularize WBB over 20 years after it debuted.
Perhaps it was the 1972 Olympics that popularized WBB which led to Title lX as much as UConn did.
The same type of thing happened with women's gymnastics after 1984 & Mary Lou Retton won gold.
Remember in 1969 the US went to the moon during the cold war, & 1976 was the nation's bicentennial, & the US wanted to prove it was the leader of the free world by setting an example.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know that the Uconn football team is a major factor. My take is that the football team is an excuse to deny Uconn into their conference. UCONN has followers all over the States and to believe that irregardless of Uconn's football team, that there would not be a huge upside to Uconn joining the conference. I don't really follow College football teams other than if something makes headlines, but I think that there are some teams in Power Conferences that are on a par with Uconn's men's team. Just a guess. I thought that Uconn's football team made a Bowl game last year.
Football is THE reason. So much discussion on this already in articles all over the sports pages.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I seldom see power or politics cited as “driving the bus,” but those factors are the only ones that logically fits all the evidence.

Football fits the evidence the least, considering that: 1) Power conferences have both historically good and bad teams; 2) Newcomers gobbled up mostly have not been at the top of the football heap; 3) Programs are dynamic, any program has the potential to become good with the right coaching and administration.

Media footprint fits the data a little better, new media markets are generally achieved with realignment decisions. Football of course plays a roll in this, probably why it is conveniently cited as “driving the bus,” but it is not the only factor in expanding media markets, which explains why so many mediocre football programs have found a major conference home. Yet understanding why a program with as much media market potential as UConn has not made the cut you need to turn to another factor driving everything else.

The push for ever larger conferences brings the promise of greater autonomy from the NCAA, with whom there has been growing dissatisfaction from universities. Football contributes to media markets, media markets contributes to wealth, wealth contributes to autonomy and power. With power comes politics and politics is not always rational. Early on some political decisions were made that disadvantaged UConn; we’ve been fighting an uphill battle with realignment ever since.
I think this is a good take. I would add to it that the driving force for a conference realignment changes depending on the conference and its needs at the time the realignment is occurring as does the whims of their media partners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom