Girardi gone | The Boneyard

Girardi gone

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"...this past season took the "Baby Bomber" Yankees to Game 7 of the ALCS where they lost to the Astros."

They were barely projected to make the playoffs, if that. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised and a bit disappointed. Joe's not perfect for sure, but he's kept his team relevant even when the roster has been shaky. I never sensed that the team gave up on him. I've got to assume that the Yankees must have someone in mind to take the reins. This is too much of a critical juncture for this team for them to not pick the right guy. We're all assuming great things for this squad based on potential, but they can't afford to piss away these critical years with the wrong guy at the helm.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why did the Marlins fire him?

Cashman must have the next guy in mind.
He butted heads with the GM or owner, IIRC. The Marlins fired him as reigning Manager of the Year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I know I'll take a big hit for this but, I am not surprised by this. It was time.

I am a life long Yankee fan and have seen managers from Stengel to Martin to Torre to Girardi. I remember George buying the Yankees from CBS for a, at the time, large amount of $9 to $10 million in 1973. My biggest beef with Girardi, and not only this season, but for several seasons is his over reliance on his notebook and stats. It is known he would spend 3+ hours using his stats to plan out how he would manage the game. Now some will say he did his job, he did his research. But you can't manage by stats alone. You have to have a feel for the game in real time. Girardi didn't seem to have that feel. Game 2 against the Tribe just brought it to the surface in a glaring manner.

I wish Joe well and he will manage again. Someone will pick him up.

Reaction Score
Im guessing the Yankees had a low ball offer on the table and Girardi said no, well the Yankees better nail this next hire with the talent they have on the current team and talent coming up. I wonder if Rothschild and Pena will be back.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Im guessing the Yankees had a low ball offer on the table and Girardi said no, well the Yankees better nail this next hire with the talent they have on the current team and talent coming up. I wonder if Rothschild and Pena will be back.

None of the reports even hint that an offer was tendered to Girardi. Heck, Cashman is still without a contract.

Reaction Score
Reading some of the NY writers tweets this was basically a mutiny.
The players couldn’t stand him and Cashman decided to wield the axe.
Until the last couple of years I didn’t think he was anything special but these last two years his teams went far and beyond.This year was his best managing job and he gets shtcanned
Would have been fascinating to see cashman have to bring him back for another 3-4 years if they won one more game in the ALCS

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Reading some of the NY writers tweets this was basically a mutiny.
The players couldn’t stand him and Cashman decided to wield the axe.
Until the last couple of years I didn’t think he was anything special but these last two years his teams went far and beyond.This year was his best managing job and he gets shtcanned
Would have been fascinating to see cashman have to bring him back for another 3-4 years if they won one more game in the ALCS

Going back and researching why Girrdi was fired from the Marlins, it seems that his communications/ relation with the players left something to be desired. And we all know he pissed off the Marlin's owner.

Reaction Score
As former Pistons coach the late Chuck Daley said: sometimes a coaching change is needed just because the players get tired of the same voice. Giardi was fine as manager and Farrell wasn't bad either and both teams were in the playoffs. These will be good jobs with an excellent nucleus of good players.

Reaction Score
As former Pistons coach the late Chuck Daley said: sometimes a coaching change is needed just because the players get tired of the same voice. Giardi was fine as manager and Farrell wasn't bad either and both teams were in the playoffs. These will be good jobs with an excellent nucleus of good players.
I actually wouldn't mind Giardi on the Sox.

Reaction Score
I like the Cora selection. When Cora was with the Sox a few players said he would be a manager some day so I'm not surprised the Sox hired him . He was well respected.
Giardi and Farrell may need some time off.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. The core of this team is really young. They could be contending for a WS every year for the next decade. Girardi has been manager for 10 years already. If you don't let him go, proactively, now then he either remains as manager for another 10 years, or you find out that the issues he had this year (based on what the writers are saying) are serious, and you have to fire him in the middle of this group's run. Logically speaking, this is the time to do it.

One of the rumors is Jay Bell, is a likely candidate. He's already familiar with a number of the players and is already in the Yankee system at A+ Tampa.

You also have to recognize that that 90% of the team's success is based on the talent on the field. This team wasn't within 1 game of the WS, primarily because of Joe Girardi. Sometimes you need a new voice in the clubhouse, and with a completely changing demographic on the team itself, it makes sense that Joe may not have changed with the team, and that a different voice would be appropriate at this time.

Reaction Score
John Farrell is available.

:)
I've seen it suggested in at least one place that Farrell could replace Denbo as the Yankees head of the minor league system. Denbo will be Jeter's GM in Florida, I believe.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. The core of this team is really young. They could be contending for a WS every year for the next decade. Girardi has been manager for 10 years already. If you don't let him go, proactively, now then he either remains as manager for another 10 years, or you find out that the issues he had this year (based on what the writers are saying) are serious, and you have to fire him in the middle of this group's run. Logically speaking, this is the time to do it.

One of the rumors is Jay Bell, is a likely candidate. He's already familiar with a number of the players and is already in the Yankee system at A+ Tampa.

You also have to recognize that that 90% of the team's success is based on the talent on the field. This team wasn't within 1 game of the WS, primarily because of Joe Girardi. Sometimes you need a new voice in the clubhouse, and with a completely changing demographic on the team itself, it makes sense that Joe may not have changed with the team, and that a different voice would be appropriate at this time.
It all comes down to pitching. If they can maintain their pitching and add/replace successfully,they will contend.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to pitching. If they can maintain their pitching and add/replace successfully,they will contend.
Right now they have 3 front end starters - Severino, Tanaka, and Gray. And a few serviceable guys - CC and Montgomery - with reinforcements on the way in Chance Adams, Acevedo, and German. Plus the next round of guys coming up - Shieffield, Abreu, and Tate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No ' way. It would be a like-for-like move, replacing one humorless tightass for another. I think the Sox got it right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom