Gilberts 3 point shooting. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilberts 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
Right. He is shooting 27 % from the Syracuse game but 38% since the Iowa game (the game right after). I think we should all be optimistic about his shooting from range so far. He was also 5/9 in the exhibitions and plus 40 on high volume in EYBL. His issue is that he forgets he is 5'10 when he is driving into the paint. We don't really have any shot blockers to throw at him in practice to really simulate what some of these high talent front courts have and it's just going to take time.

To get to OPs initial point, Omar was a guy who looked like he was going to be a very good shooter pre injury. He also seemed to swish his 3s or shoot the ugliest bricks.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My rough eye test suggests that along with Vital and others, when he shoots off of a catch, rather than a dribble, he is more accurate. His big misses came off the dribble against Zona if I recall. Jalen is really the only guy who is decent from deep off the dribble.

What that means is that the ball movement we loved early in the year needs to return. We have several guys who are effective from 3....if they don’t need to create space and can catch and shoot. These guys are not Kemba Walker. Maybe Alterique will improve in that regard, but for now I’d rather see him spotting up and not from 5 feet beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
The year, to date, is too small a sample size. So why chose a smaller sample size to make it look bad?

Because I disagree with the original poster's assertion that AG being a good shooter is a fact? So I'm offering a counter example using the same logic to illustrate the flaw in his argument.

Reaction Score
He did bounce the back of his head off the court pretty good at the beginning of the game. Doesn’t tell why his shooting has been off since the Syracuse game but one has to think hitting his head affected his shot by how off he was. Him driving the lane to deep and out of control, I don’t have an answer for.

C

Chief00

My rough eye test suggests that along with Vital and others, when he shoots off of a catch, rather than a dribble, he is more accurate. His big misses came off the dribble against Zona if I recall. Jalen is really the only guy who is decent from deep off the dribble.

What that means is that the ball movement we loved early in the year needs to return. We have several guys who are effective from 3....if they don’t need to create space and can catch and shoot. These guys are not Kemba Walker. Maybe Alterique will improve in that regard, but for now I’d rather see him spotting up and not from 5 feet beyond the arc.

The one guy who may shoot better off the dribble is Jalen. Last game he had some wide open catch and shoot threes and he seemed uncomfortable. Likes the rhythm off the dribble better. But, agree about the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The one guy who may shoot better off the dribble is Jalen. Last game he had some wide open catch and shoot threes and he seemed uncomfortable. Likes the rhythm off the dribble better. But, agree about the others.

Agree on Jalen. But he's just not a great outside shooter in any case. I wonder if we all perhaps forget that a guard with an explosive first step, plus the ability to step back and hit from distance or off a crossover dribble is a pretty rare, NBA caliber skill. So rare that last two guys we had who could do it consistently lead us to national championships. Ben Gordon could too if I recall, so maybe the last three.

It's easy to confuse "good shooters" with guys who can do that. Anderson, Lamb, Giffey, lots of good shooters here couldn't really do it. Vital can't. Polley can't. I don't expect Boughtknight to either. Those guys needs ball movement (and movement by them without the ball) to get clean looks. It's one of the reasons Ollie's offense was such a failure and we thought we had no shooters. I see something in Al that gives me hope that he may develop that in a year or two, and that will make him scary as hell. Especially with a higher level of talent around him.

C

Chief00

Agree on Jalen. But he's just not a great outside shooter in any case. I wonder if we all perhaps forget that a guard with an explosive first step, plus the ability to step back and hit from distance or off a crossover dribble is a pretty rare, NBA caliber skill. So rare that last two guys we had who could do it consistently lead us to national championships. Ben Gordon could too if I recall, so maybe the last three.

It's easy to confuse "good shooters" with guys who can do that. Anderson, Lamb, Giffey, lots of good shooters here couldn't really do it. Vital can't. Polley can't. I don't expect Boughtknight to either. Those guys needs ball movement (and movement by them without the ball) to get clean looks. It's one of the reasons Ollie's offense was such a failure and we thought we had no shooters. I see something in Al that gives me hope that he may develop that in a year or two, and that will make him scary as hell. Especially with a higher level of talent around him.

Chief agrees with that analysis. Gilbert, despite his height, has the ability to get his shot off, facing the basket off the dribble. Driving the lane is another story unless he’s not more selective.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Chief agrees with that analysis. Gilbert, despite his height, has the ability to get his shot off, facing the basket off the dribble. Driving the lane is another story unless he’s not more selective.

He really needs to work on distributing or hitting pull up jumpers off penetration. Show him a bunch of KEA tape (he was a great catch and shoot shooter too). Bing video

Reaction Score
We really overhyped the kid going into this year and need to pump the breaks. He's shown flashes, but he's been pretty atrocious

Hurley disagrees. He said that AG is pretty much where he expected him to be at this point.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I don't know if Hurley is a fan or not. I wrote what he said. He disagrees with your assessment that AG is atrocious.
But us as fans expected more going into the year

Reaction Score

At his height and that low handle, he has to at least show that he can get to the rim. But he needs to let it come more naturally - currently it feels forced. His shot will come - he was over 50% in high school / you don't do that by accident...clearly has the ability.

Reaction Score
I really don’t like hearing negative comments about a kid’s performance when he has busted his ass to come back from countless surgeries to even play at all.

Perhaps a therapist or life coach could help you cope with the ugly realities of life.

Reaction Score
Maybe not the best analogy...but I liken it to my golf game. Before kids, I was pretty good - consistently straight - solid ball striker / rarely a bad miss. Now when I go out (far less often), I still rip a few - but I also regularly land three fairways over, in a community swimming pool or on someone's deck. It's about repetition - he hasn't that opportunity considering his sort of injury. He'll get it back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His shooting has been garbage since his one good shooting game vs Cuse, 6 for 22 from 3
He just went 5-8 and 3-4 from 3 against UML. But let’s not let facts cloud your narrative. Let’s say he’s been streaky.

Reaction Score
Alterique has been fine overall this year, in what is essentially his freshman season after playing only 9 games in 2 years. Anyone who expected much more than what we have seen wasnt being realistic. Al needs to still shake off some rust and learn to pick his spots on drives, but other than that he has shown great promise. I think he can be a legit star NEXT season, and will probably have a few great games this season. Rare is the guy who is a stud from day 1. Khalid was that guy.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Because I disagree with the original poster's assertion that AG being a good shooter is a fact? So I'm offering a counter example using the same logic to illustrate the flaw in his argument.

So you aren't saying he is a lesser shooter, you're just saying the evidence isn't in? If that's it, I get it.

Reaction Score
AG has a gorgeous jumper. Just needs to keep gunning and find his comfort zone. He is in the problem solving stage now. He will soon learn what his weapons are in game situations and use them to set up his other weapons. Clearly, a weakness thus far has been finishing at the rim. That is going to allow people to pressure his jumper more. He has to figure out where to steadily make teams pay somewhere within the 3 point line. I agree with HuskyHawk on the pull-up jumper. It is a lost art and virtually unguardable when used by a guy with AG’s speed and handle. Would love to see it open up his game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some of yall gotta chill out. He's gonna be up and down, but his form is on lock. Once he really gets back into the flow--maybe that's next year who knows--I think he's gonna be a 40% guy. Somewhere between a Bazz/Kemba type.

Reaction Score
At this point AG looks good on his 3’s. I think he focused on it and it’s paying off and hope it will continue. The players who need improvement are Tarin Smith and Brendan Adams around 22% and Jalen 33%. How important is the 3? it’s everything in todays game. Here’s some advanced math. To score 30 points you can go 10-20 from 3 or 50%. To get the same from 2 you need 15-20 or 75%. Our guards like to drive the lane for 2 which is a good tactic and score or get put backs like from Cobb. I would rather see the right players take the 3 than jump shots from inside the 3 point line to the foul line, except for Jalen and Gilbert.
2 point mid range is a lost art yet that is jalen’s Game along with driving and throwing it up. Hurley has to get the right players their shots in their best spots for our best chances. If Smith and Brendan continue to clunk he has to put a stop to it. Vital is taking better shots from 3. jalen has to continue to shoot from 3 and we hope it improves. When we were desperate on Sunday, notice that the offense set up for Polley and he hit 2 quick 3’s. Our offense should run those shots for guys who can make them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At this point AG looks good on his 3’s. I think he focused on it and it’s paying off and hope it will continue. The players who need improvement are Tarin Smith and Brendan Adams around 22% and Jalen 33%. How important is the 3? it’s everything in todays game. Here’s some advanced math. To score 30 points you can go 10-20 from 3 or 50%. To get the same from 2 you need 15-20 or 75%.

I don't think you are gonna see anything from Tarin from three. He is what he is at this point. No shame in that. He was brought on to be a 4th guard, experienced leadership, athletic, slashing ability, and defense. Good piece to have as a one year rental.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom