Gilbert | The Boneyard

Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know he is going to be a freshman...but Gilbert is just what the doctored ordered for this team. A guy who can break you down off the dribble. He will get Purvis/Hamilton good looks, and having him and Adams both in the game will give defenses fit. We will miss Gibbs 3 point/clutch foul shooting, but we need a guy like Gilbert who can break his man down on every possession. Btw he shot 50% this year from 3 in high school.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I know he is going to be a freshman...but Gilbert is just what the doctored ordered for this team. A guy who can break you down off the dribble. He will get Purvis/Hamilton good looks, and having him and Adams both in the game will give defenses fit. We will miss Gibbs 3 point/clutch foul shooting, but we need a guy like Gilbert who can break his man down on every possession. Btw he shot 50% this year from 3 in high school.
Link for that last stat, please. I honestly don't believe it (No offense intended).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
All due respect, he's no Dave Wingett. Wingett shot 89% from 3, averaged 57 points a game, and fathered 37% of all infants born in Nebraska over the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
I think the heart this team showed in the AAC & NCAA Tourney will attract more recruits. Can't wait for Gilbert.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a great shooter don't know why there is this thought on the board that he's not.

Exactly what I was thinking. This kid has everything you could want in a UConn guard. Shooting, defense, foul shots, everything. Can't wait to see him in Storrs.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Gilbert is a great shooter don't know why there is this thought on the board that he's not.
I had read a couple of articles calling him more of a scorer than a shooter, and IIRC he shot about 33% from 3 last summer. It lined up with the eye test (I've seen him play 3 times, I think), so I just sort of went with it.

But if he's truly a knockdown 3-point shooter, that is amazing news.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

because people on this board like to profess expertise with nothing to back it.
I have a few friends who live in GA and one is a HS coach
Says this kid is the real deal with the ball and can score. Says he is a well spoken kid who is well liked and a leader
Yes he is small but what he can do adds inches to that body - the best guard in the state - hands down
I for one cant wait

Reaction Score
I would like to pick up one more transfer guard as I think we will be thin in the back court like we were this year but happy to see a true point guard who can shoot coming in.

Reaction Score
I think the heart this team showed in the AAC & NCAA Tourney will attract more recruits. Can't wait for Gilbert.

We definitely got an uptick in buzz and a buoy to our March reputation. The exposure is always helpful.

Reaction Score
Even with "stats," I have a hard time believing those stats. Either way, all signs point to Gilbert being a true PG; something that Adams is not- so AG will be a huge addition to the squad. I don't know if he's good enough to get the keys up front, but he should see tons of run.

caw

Reaction Score
I had read a couple of articles calling him more of a scorer than a shooter, and IIRC he shot about 33% from 3 last summer. It lined up with the eye test (I've seen him play 3 times, I think), so I just sort of went with it.

But if he's truly a knockdown 3-point shooter, that is amazing news.

I think in four years of high school he is over 50% from three on a decent volume.

He had a bad summer shooting last summer though.

The question is whether he shot poorly in AAU bc of the competition, the style of play, the volume of games or just had a bad AAU.

His high school stats (and eye test) show he has good form, AAU calls into question his ability to get his shot off from three at a good percentage against top competition. I think we can at least be pretty confident defenders can't leave him alone on the outside.

Reaction Score
It's not that I don't believe he's a good shooter, it's just that we've had people come in billed as shooters struggle early in their career as the speed of the game changes. It takes time to adjust, sometimes a full year or two.

So while I think he's probably a very good shooter, I'm going to temper my expectations about his performance rather than assume he'll come in shooting 38%+

Reaction Score
Like the way he plays, the way he looks like he belongs, the swagger. Only video's I get that, but if there's a KEA coming to town again this may be it. Stay tuned, going to be hard to keep him off the floor.

Reaction Score
I remember not that long ago when Facey was the savior who would come in and save our center position.

Let's wait a second before we declare some kid who never spent a second on a college court will change our whole offense.

Different recruits take different paths adjusting to college. The biggest change will most likely come from our current payers developing and getting better.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I'm expecting him to be solid next year, but I'd be surprised if he's any higher than 35% from 3.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I remember not that long ago when Facey was the savior who would come in and save our center position.

Let's wait a second before we declare some kid who never spent a second on a college court will change our whole offense.

Different recruits take different paths adjusting to college. The biggest change will most likely come from our current payers developing and getting better.

Who said that above Facey? I don't remember anything of the sort.

Your general point is correct. I do recall people putting Enoch above KF on the depth chart based on some highlight reels.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I'm expecting him to be solid next year, but I'd be surprised if he's any higher than 35% from 3.

Agreed. 3pt shooting is always one of those skills that doesn't always immediately translate at the next level for PGs. Adams was a good 3pt shooter as well and it didn't translate this year. There's so much that PGs have to adapt to at the college level from HS that 3pt shooting sometimes falls by the wayside.

That being said, I'm stoked to see Gilbert in action, kid just seems like a winner. And he and Adams in the backcourt together will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
He's going to be freshman PG, we know what that means and what comes with it.

Hopefully we don't kill the kid around here. Everyone needs to remember what Kemba, Shabazz, etc were like as freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom