Gilbert has been all class since since he showed up | The Boneyard

Gilbert has been all class since since he showed up

Reaction Score
AG has been all class since since he showed up. He's been hurt, never complained, worked his butt off. Great kid.

He used to be the quickest guy on the floor. But this year he has not shown that quickness on either end of the floor. He has gotten bigger and stronger. The team felt that was necessary to keeping him on the floor. But he has paid a price in quickness. Although he is only 5 to10 pounds bigger than can have a huge impact on a small guy. I have watched this scenario play out with many smaller athletes. They need the durability that strength and weight provide but it affects performance.

Donald Brown the great UConn running back is a example. While 200 pounds is not exactly small, he beefed up from 203 as a freshman to closer to 215 as a sophomore and took a small step backwards. You could watch and see some of his explosion had gone. As a junior he played at 205 and became an All American and first round NFL draft choice. His explosion (and so much more) had returned.

I think AG is going through the same thing. What I hope is that as the season progresses and AG's conditioning improves, and as he drops a little weigh, that his extraordinary quickness will return. Becoming more accustom to this new physique should also help. So please, do not write him off. I truly believe he best is yet to come for this exception young man.

Reaction Score
Watch Hurley's press conference. He nails what is going on with Gibert IMO. Trying to do too much because he was sidelined for too long. Just needs to relax, and let the game come to him. He needs to stop over penetrating, and start dishing. He should average 6-7 assists a game.

Reaction Score
Watch Hurley's press conference. He nails what is going on with Gibert IMO. Trying to do too much because he was sidelined for too long. Just needs to relax, and let the game come to him. He needs to stop over penetrating, and start dishing. He should average 6-7 assists a game.

Go back and watch the Oregon and MSU (first half) from a couple of years ago. AG was a blur. Gilbert has always over penatrated. But a couple of years ago he was so quick he could get out trouble by creating a shot or finding a passing lane. He used to be able to force the action. Get himself into trouble and then out of trouble with ability and quickness. That is what he has lost.

I am actually not disagreeing (note use of the double negative) with Coach Hurley. What he say is true. But right now, AG cannot do the things he was capable of two years ago. Losing a little weight should solve some of the problem. Hopefully we'll notice this later in the year.

Reaction Score
No sane person will give up on him after two games. On the other hand, if I thought there was any chance you'd get the irony I'd demand we start Gaffney at the point just so we can all see what he can do given the chance and not base it on what the coach knows from practice.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Are you calling @Towney007 and @intlzncster insane? They can't wait to see him on the next plane out of town.

He's not the future. I'm hoping he turns it around for us, but reality is, he's not coming back next year.

fwiw, I'd take him back. But he wouldn't get a long leash because there would be plenty of other guys vying for minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No sane person will give up on him after two games. On the other hand, if I thought there was any chance you'd get the irony I'd demand we start Gaffney at the point just so we can all see what he can do given the chance and not base it on what the coach knows from practice.
Actually, Hurley is playing Gaffney and said he would like to get him more time. I approve.

Reaction Score
Polley’s first 3 late into the game was a dish by Gilbert that hopefully shows what he can be this year. Penetrate and dish. All game he would over penetrate and get in trouble. He will start seeing the game slow a bit, i think this game his mindset was to take over and be the hero. But he’ll learn hero doesn’t mean scoring the most, it’s about making plays, period. He’ll get better from this game.

Reaction Score
Nah. It depends on the exercises. Certain exercises like power cleans and hang cleans increase explosiveness while adding weight. Squats are proven to increase vertical leap. I'm sure Sal knows what he is doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom