Gilbert and Diarra Redshirting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
if we can stay healthy.
raw

Reaction Score
Got anything other than trolling? Or can you not read?
How am I trolling? It was stupid thinking Gilbert would play in Maui. You've now tried to rip into me twice for pointing out the obvious.

Reaction Score
I know you're just joking around, but yes I am a medical doctor - just not an orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine.

You can read a prospective study about the injury here if you are interested.

Thanks. No offense, but I was hoping your pessimistic conclusion was based on a google search or something, and not a medical degree...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, doctors aren't really exactly able to pinpoint the source of the pain of the condition and that's why surgery seems to be rare. A little research says treatment is physical therapy and anti-inflammatory drugs but it's mainly just keeping off the knee and avoiding activities that aggravate it. This could be the type nagging pain that can really hurt a players confidence on the court. Hope it's not severe like the blog post says.
Yeah, don't know, but the quick bit of research that I saw seemed to suggest that rest breaking the cycle of aggravation is effective. Let's hope so.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Any word on if Gilbert/Larrier is taking the medical hardship/redshirt? I know it's been speculated...but only see Diarra confirmed.

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like it to me:

What is patellofemoral pain syndrome?
The troubling part to me is if as Diarra himself said, this goes back to high school, when did our staff know about this? Point being sticking by Durham and bringing in Diarra was a risky move that now seems to be coming to roost. I still think a big motivation in recruiting Diarra was to improve our position with Diallo. Hopefully this year of rest does the kid a world of good but I'm concerned about his reliability the next four years.

Reaction Score
You had no idea what the situation was, despite your conviction, and being a game time decision was never the same as thinking he'd play in Maui.
That wasn't the only thing out of kos mouth, he also said "he feels great" the next day. Folks here were sticking their head in sand and accusing people who took umbrage with his quotes as "amateur doctors".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The troubling part to me is if as Diarra himself said, this goes back to high school, when did our staff know about this? Point being sticking by Durham and bringing in Diarra was a risky move that now seems to be coming to roost. I still think a big motivation in recruiting Diarra was to improve our position with Diallo. Hopefully this year of rest does the kid a world of good but I'm concerned about his reliability the next four years.

Why is sticking by Durham bad? He's not hurt.

Reaction Score
Why is sticking by Durham bad? He's not hurt.

I think he means because of his history of knee problems in high school, and thus our recruitment of two PFs with high injury proneness. But yeah, Durham seems fine now.

Reaction Score
I think he means because of his history of knee problems in high school, and thus our recruitment of two PFs with high injury proneness. But yeah, Durham seems fine now.
All it takes is one misstep or awkward landing to change that though. So if Durham gets gassed and it shows in his movement, I think Ollie will pull him. He's not getting enough playing time for it to get to that point yet, anyway. Hopefully he keeps earning more and more burn and hits the glass a bit harder.

Reaction Score
How am I trolling? It was stupid thinking Gilbert would play in Maui. You've now tried to rip into me twice for pointing out the obvious.

You're ignoring what's actually being said, so it's either trolling or reading difficulty. Gilbert being a game time decision does not mean he was sure to play or that it couldn't actually be worse given more information. The fact is that you previously took a position that was unfounded and happened to be correct by coincidence, so the self-righteousness about it is just obnoxious.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Have to agree. Enoch and Durham have crazy ceilings, but have to show that they'll be ready to lead next year or we're in trouble. If Enoch doesn't improve and we need a 25 mpg big, our only option may be a grad transfer though. Getting way ahead of ourselves here, but it's been creeping into my mind.
Can UConn recruit more guys with crazy floors? I have no idea how high Durham's ceiling is going to be but to think Enoch's ceiling is crazy is setting yourself up for disappointment. Given that he was a late bloomer and given that Facey and Brimah have improved moderately at best over four years I see Enoch's ceiling being ten feet, hopefully with crown moldings.

Reaction Score
I can't stand Brimah and can't wait to see him gone, but I have to always remember him fondly for that St. Joe's play late. Facey has never had that type of moment.

Can UConn recruit more guys with crazy floors? I have no idea how high Durham's ceiling is going to be but to think Enoch's ceiling is crazy is setting yourself up for disappointment. Given that he was a late bloomer and given that Facey and Brimah have improved moderately at best over four years I see Enoch's ceiling being ten feet, hopefully with crown moldings.

Reaction Score
You're ignoring what's actually being said, so it's either trolling or reading difficulty. Gilbert being a game time decision does not mean he was sure to play or that it couldn't actually be worse given more information. The fact is that you previously took a position that was unfounded and happened to be correct by coincidence, so the self-righteousness about it is just obnoxious.
Good lord, I know what a game time decision means. There was no way in hell Gilbert was playing in Maui and Ollie knew it. That's why I kept pointing out that Ollie was talking nonsense. I wanted Gilbert to be healthy enough to play as he's already my favorite player and incredibly important to our team but I also live in the real world.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Good lord, I know what a game time decision means. There was no way in hell Gilbert was playing in Maui and Ollie knew it. That's why I kept pointing out that Ollie was talking nonsense. I wanted Gilbert to be healthy enough to play as he's already my favorite player and incredibly important to our team but I also live in the real world.

Whether or not you know what game time decision means, you seem to have trouble with the word "know" generally. Go ahead and keep being certain of things that were not knowable at the time.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Isn't Patellofemoral Syndrome "runner's knee"? If so, that's treatable. things like hip stabilization/flexibility -> changing the way you move, and after a period of rest, overall weight training (lowerbody/core). That's what I thought anyway.
That is true, and PFS is also the most common cause of knee pain. PFS is not associated with the loss of articular cartilage (the cartilage on the bearing surfaces within the joint) and I have only very rarely seen it associated with swelling of the knee joint (which was reported about him earlier). So, the reports don't make clear sense to me.
I have also dealt with PFS myself for the last 9 years. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I am a physician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom