Giffey to start tomorrow | The Boneyard

Giffey to start tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow that was a great article with a ton of quotes from JC. really great to read. thanks for the link...

Reaction Score
Yeah, like he thought, "Let me see what the morons on the Boneyard are telling me who I should start? Oh, they're telling me Giffey and Olander in, and Oriakhi and Daniels/Smith out. Let's do it!"

I think JC will take into account what he saw the last 3 games and what he's seen in practice, plus maybe some match-up analysis. You think?!?!

I was unable to read the link, but I imagine there's nothing in it that implies he's listening to fans to make his decision.

Reaction Score
Yeah, like he thought, "Let me see what the morons on the Boneyard are telling me who I should start? Oh, they're telling me Giffey and Olander in, and Oriakhi and Daniels/Smith out. Let's do it!"

I think JC will take into account what he saw the last 3 games and what he's seen in practice, plus maybe some match-up analysis. You think?!?!

I was unable to read the link, but I imagine there's nothing in it that implies he's listening to fans to make his decision.
Obviously I was kidding. Hence the smiley face.

Reaction Score
Good for Giffey, amazing that we are in January and the lineup is not set. Giffey does have some experience that will help with conference play. I'm rooting for the kid, because we need some production out of the SF and Giffey is a hustler (e.g. effort).

Reaction Score
Giffey personifies the mentality this team must have.

Reaction Score
wow that was a great article with a ton of quotes from JC. really great to read. thanks for the link...

Borges is the best UConn reporter out there. Always enjoy reading his stuff.

Anyways, good luck to Neils. I really think he is better going against a zone but probably deserves the chance to start.

Reaction Score
Great read - thank you for posting this Hooper.

Love the JC quotes.
They way we've been playing the last couple of games, if TV's gave out Technical Fouls, I would been ejected several times!!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Obviously I was kidding. Hence the smiley face.
You didn't get the memo. One smiley and you might be kidding. Two smilies and we kid you not.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The salient point from this article is that JC pinpoints the problem coming from the lack of production by the bigs as the major problem with half court offense. It is not a guard problem or the lack of the guards not getting the ball to JL. The boneyard has spent a lot of discussion focusing in on SN's play as the problem. So JC has read the BoneYard and has set us straight.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
The salient point from this article is that JC pinpoints the problem coming from the lack of production by the bigs as the major problem with half court offense. It is not a guard problem or the lack of the guards not getting the ball to JL. The boneyard has spent a lot of discussion focusing in on SN's play as the problem. So JC has read the BoneYard and has set us straight.
JC does not read the Boneyard!

(I think he has "people" who do it for him....)

Reaction Score
neils has talent. he could be a really good player for us. hes athletic,hustles and has a nice shot. i think he needs to learn to use his dribble a bit more and he could really be a player.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I liked the article but didn't like the way the author tucked the paragraph dig on Andre Drummond in the middle of the article as if to say JC said it! Cheap thrill writing. That after hearing from the commentators during the broadcasts of the last few games how AD's post moves are developing and getting more diverse

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
maybe Jim liked what he saw on TV. I know I did

he's right, Neils brings focus

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
neils has talent. he could be a really good player for us. hes athletic,hustles and has a nice shot. i think he needs to learn to use his dribble a bit more and he could really be a player.

Agreed. Defenders are daring him to take it to the hole. He is generally matched up against a 3 or a third guard. He should be as quick or quicker than about half the starting 3's in the league, and he will be taller than most guards.

I like Giffey, I also like Roscoe and Daniels. I do not like Nappier playing 39 minutes a game and I do not like 3 guard lineups with this team.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
JC does not read the Boneyard!

(I think he has "people" who do it for him....)
Obviously. I'm just having a little fun with my last statement.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Agreed. Defenders are daring him to take it to the hole. He is generally matched up against a 3 or a third guard. He should be as quick or quicker than about half the starting 3's in the league, and he will be taller than most guards.

I like Giffey, I also like Roscoe and Daniels. I do not like Nappier playing 39 minutes a game and I do not like 3 guard lineups with this team.
I would like to see Neils develop a mid game with either a floater or pull up jumper. I think this is missing in his skills.

Reaction Score
In warm ups he has shown a nice pull up this year. Of course doing that in warm ups vs a Big East game is completely different. I'm pulling for him .

Reaction Score
Calhoun said about 75-percent of yesterday's practice focused on the inside game -- making the guards conscious of getting the ball inside, and getting the bigs to execute when they do get the rock.

This is my favorite part from the article. Clearly JC has been reading my posts. If JC can get this front court to play nasty, UConn is one of the best teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Ya I am excited to see if we can get the big guys going. Alex we all know can play better.

With Andre, I don't think he has good enough back to the basket game to give him the ball on the low block to post up. Maybe I'm wrong.

What i'd like to see is him getting the ball a little farther out on the elbow or wing(12 ft range) where he can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. He has good handle for his size and can pass the ball off the bounce. I think that spin that he has shown can also be used from that position.

Reaction Score
Calhoun said about 75-percent of yesterday's practice focused on the inside game -- making the guards conscious of getting the ball inside, and getting the bigs to execute when they do get the rock.

This is my favorite part from the article. Clearly JC has been reading my posts. If JC can get this front court to play nasty, UConn is one of the best teams in the country.
ditto to your post.. Im not sure how putting Giffey at the small forward and 75 % of practice corrolate but whatever... good for Giffey. He had some good minutes in the Hall game and hope it pushes over tomorrow.

Reaction Score

agreed... I think it speaks to the fact that we all see what's NOT working, including our HOF coach....

The article did have some pretty good quotes and obviously our bigs need to play better... he is absolutely right about our backcourt being the best shooting trio in the BEast, but he forgot to add "when they're good shots"... with our feet set and in the right situation (even on napier or lamb pullup 3's) we shoot 50% i bet... the bad shots and end of the shotclock 3's are the only reason our percentage is in the 40's at this point. Just imagine if our bigs developed a couple go-to moves and were able to inside out it with guys like lamb and napier? (I think that's why Tyler has been so important this year and will continue to be, because he can face up from the elbow and knock it down or look opposite)

the points about giffey and olander playing well are not a surprise- those guys are gonna be extremely good their senior years and we will have some major pieces still around and getting better for the next 2 seasons... I'm extremely excited about their continued progression this year (I have a lot of faith that these guys will learn to coexist and play well consistently, even if it is come tourney time a la 2011) and in the future...

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I think that if Niels could get comfortable enough to play relaxed, spontaneous, and aggressive, he could be more than a minor role player. There was a play late last season when he had the ball as the shot clock was running down and no one to pass to. He dribbled across the lane with his left hand and made a really nice bank shot, also left-handed. It was like, really good.

Reaction Score
I love the kid's drive, and he's a solid player.

His big issue, as far as I can tell, is that he has an unfortunate propensity to make the kind of dumb play that causes the Insta-HookTM to be triggered. He'll play great D, then he'll poke out an Off. Rebound to keep the ball live, then he'll hit an open 3 . . . then he'll throw a weak-ass pass to an ill-positioned post player and he's pulled instantly.

I think what could set him loose would be to have a 15 minute stretch with no dumb turnovers. Do that, fill the stat sheet, and he could be our 25 minute a game starting 3.

H

huskymagic

I completely agree. everyone is dismissing Neils as he is just some role player. He is a better talent right now then either Roscoe or Daniels. He is just as athletic if not more so than Daniels or Roscoe. He also has just as a good offensive game as Daniels and a much better offensive game than Roscoe. He is also a great defender. If Giffey learns to handle better he will be an NBA player I believe. He has that potential and is not a fluke. I will be rooting big time for Giffey tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom