OT: - Giffey Joins Club | The Boneyard

OT: Giffey Joins Club

Reaction Score
50% from the two , 40% from the three 90% from the FT line .
IMG_0396.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s for a complete season:

50% from the two
40% from the three
90% from the line
The man can still shoot

Is it 50% from 2 or 50% FG? My understanding was that the 50 in 50/40/90 was FG, not 2FG. It's much harder to hit 50/40/90 in an era with so many 3s. According to wikipedia, there's only been 13 50/40/90 seasons this millenium. Durant had the first 55/40/90 season this year.

Makes me wonder if he didn't actually hit the true benchmark. Nonetheless, an awesome and effecient season.

Reaction Score
Is it 50% from 2 or 50% FG? My understanding was that the 50 in 50/40/90 was FG, not 2FG. It's much harder to hit 50/40/90 in an era with so many 3s. According to wikipedia, there's only been 13 50/40/90 seasons this millenium. Durant had the first 55/40/90 season this year.

Makes me wonder if he didn't actually hit the true benchmark. Nonetheless, an awesome and effecient season.
People usually use overall FG for that "club", but I do personally prefer doing 2FG/3FG/FT when I list out stats in general. It's way more instructive. Overall FG% is pretty pointless when eFG% exists. But yeah being overall FG% vs. 2PT% is a big difference for the club.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
From the Wiki page related to this link:

"Giffey committed to play basketball at the University of Connecticut under coach Jim Calhoun. As a freshman, he was a reserve on the squad which won the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament. After winning the tournament, he said, “It was such an emotional time for me, that this university, this team, became such a big part of my heart and became so close to me that it never crossed my mind to leave this place. I always felt it was about being a student-athlete at UConn. This school gave me so much when I won my national championship with this team.”[4

Great testimony from Giffey and to the Program.

Reaction Score
Everyone forgets that Griffey started his senior year on the bench, behind Omar Calhoun. But Griffey had a huge day shooting 3s against Michigan State in Europe (while UConn was opening its football season at home), shot way over 45% from 3 for a good chunk of the season and literally forced Jim Calhoun to start him.

And that move, along with, over time, Kromah and SAmule pushing Omar further down the bench, led to our becoming a better team. Not knocking Omar but the team clearly improved as more people took away his playing time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From the Wiki page related to this link:

"Giffey committed to play basketball at the University of Connecticut under coach Jim Calhoun. As a freshman, he was a reserve on the squad which won the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament. After winning the tournament, he said, “It was such an emotional time for me, that this university, this team, became such a big part of my heart and became so close to me that it never crossed my mind to leave this place. I always felt it was about being a student-athlete at UConn. This school gave me so much when I won my national championship with this team.”[4

Great testimony from Giffey and to the Program.
He had another reason to hang around. Erin was quite a catch.

Reaction Score
Everyone forgets that Griffey started his senior year on the bench, behind Omar Calhoun. But Griffey had a huge day shooting 3s against Michigan State in Europe (while UConn was opening its football season at home), shot way over 45% from 3 for a good chunk of the season and literally forced Jim Calhoun to start him.

And that move, along with, over time, Kromah and SAmule pushing Omar further down the bench, led to our becoming a better team. Not knocking Omar but the team clearly improved as more people took away his playing time.
I don’t believe Calhoun was our coach his Senior year, unless I’m interpreting this incorrectly

Reaction Score
People usually use overall FG for that "club", but I do personally prefer doing 2FG/3FG/FT when I list out stats in general. It's way more instructive. Overall FG% is pretty pointless when eFG% exists. But yeah being overall FG% vs. 2PT% is a big difference for the club.

Agreed. That's why I always list 2fg whenever I take stats on recruits games.

Reaction Score

I don’t believe Calhoun was our coach his Senior year, unless I’m interpreting this incorrectly

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He played 24 minutes in the 2011 NCAA Final.

Reaction Score
He played 24 minutes in the 2011 NCAA Final.
Yea, which was a bit surprising at the time if I recall correctly, because that was his 3rd highest minutes played that season, behind 2 games in Maui (Kentucky/Mich St).

Reaction Score

Ken Jr, or Ken Sr?

Reaction Score
I apologize for misremembering the game. There was a big time game early in the championship season where he came off the bench and had a huge game shooting 3s while I was at the Rent. I’ll look it up later. And, of course, it was KO who was the coach then, not JC.

So much for posting before 7:30 a.m. without any caffeine.

Reaction Score
I apologize for misremembering the game. There was a big time game early in the championship season where he came off the bench and had a huge game shooting 3s while I was at the Rent. I’ll look it up later. And, of course, it was KO who was the coach then, not JC.

So much for posting before 7:30 a.m. without any caffeine.
hah, no apologies needed. It didn't sound quite right and that encouraged me to do a deep dive into Giffey's stats, which was a fun time. One of my favorite Huskies ever.

Reaction Score
From the title of this I thought he joined The Mile High Club. The flight from Germany to the U.S. is kind of long so I understand. :)

Reaction Score

the 50 is FG% not specifically 2pt %

Also, KD only played just over 50% (47 of 82) of the reg season so not sure what the criteria is for games played...still crazy impressive

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom