OT: - Giants letting Landon walk | The Boneyard

OT: Giants letting Landon walk

Reaction Score
Guess we could have seen this coming with Gettleman being the GM and not giving a damn about the secondary, but i’m incredibly disappointed. A perennial Pro-Bowler who bleeds blue and white is just pretty much kicked to the curb. Does Gettleman know something we don’t about the unproven, underwhelming Safety depth chart that remains?

Reaction Score
Guess we could have seen this coming with Gettleman being the GM and not giving a damn about the secondary, but i’m incredibly disappointed. A perennial Pro-Bowler who bleeds blue and white is just pretty much kicked to the curb. Does Gettleman know something we don’t about the unproven, underwhelming Safety depth chart that remains?
Safeties that can't cover don't get 11 million a year.

Reaction Score
Safeties that can't cover don't get 11 million a year.
What does the unquestioned leader of the defense, 4x consecutive leading tackler, and significantly best player at an extremely weak position on the team get then?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
dismal move. if they weren't going to franchise tag him, why not trade him when they were cleaning house?

the future's looking grim.

That's more of my take on the situation. I would have been happy to franchise tag him, I would have been happy to tag him and work out a deal, and I would have been happy to tag him and trade him and get something in return.

Just letting him walk for nothing is pretty idiotic.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
It seems like a lot of teams are interested. Couldn't they tag and trade? Why just let him walk?

Reaction Score
It seems like a lot of teams are interested. Couldn't they tag and trade? Why just let him walk?
When you let a player walk during free agency and they sign a big contract with another team, you typically get a compensatory pick for them (usually 3rd round for the largest contracts). Maybe the Giants were not getting good enough value in the offers they were hearing about.

Reaction Score
That's more of my take on the situation. I would have been happy to franchise tag him, I would have been happy to tag him and work out a deal, and I would have been happy to tag him and trade him and get something in return.

Just letting him walk for nothing is pretty idiotic.
Someone said we might get a comp pick for him and it would likely be a 3rd or 4th. If we get a third out of it, then it makes sense

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
When you let a player walk during free agency and they sign a big contract with another team, you typically get a compensatory pick for them (usually 3rd round for the largest contracts). Maybe the Giants were not getting good enough value in the offers they were hearing about.
He's a pro-bowl safety. Cant do better than a 3rd?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Arent they still paying Eric Berry?

Yea but i think both Berry and Houston get cut this year. Its going to be a full retool on defense at the skill positions.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Remember when they turned down a 3rd from TB at the deadline? lol

Reaction Score
The best compensation they can get is a 3rd round pick (end of round). They turned down multiple reported offers of 3rd rounders. Even if it's a marginal difference, this was dumb

Reaction Score
If the Giants invest that 11 million towards a top FA offensive lineman and then just go all out on defense in the draft would this be the worst thing in the world?
Or I suppose re-allocate that 11 million toward another position on defense? Maybe there are other safeties out there in free agency they prefer for less than 11 mil where they can basically pick up 2 defensive pieces for the price of 1? There are quite a few safeties out there now.
From what I've heard he doesn't fit Bechter's type of defense and the stats on him in coverage are horrible. And his shoulder was messed up causing him to miss the end of the year.

Anyway, let's see how this FA and draft pan out before we fire Gettleman. I though he did well with the draft last year.

Reaction Score
If the Giants invest that 11 million towards a top FA offensive lineman and then just go all out on defense in the draft would this be the worst thing in the world?
Or I suppose re-allocate that 11 million toward another position on defense? Maybe there are other safeties out there in free agency they prefer for less than 11 mil where they can basically pick up 2 defensive pieces for the price of 1? There are quite a few safeties out there now.
From what I've heard he doesn't fit Bechter's type of defense and the stats on him in coverage are horrible. And his shoulder was messed up causing him to miss the end of the year.

Anyway, let's see how this FA and draft pan out before we fire Gettleman. I though he did well with the draft last year.
That's fair, but kind of misses the point. Moving on from Collins isn't the issue, it's that there appears to be no plan in place with Gettleman. If he wanted to move on from Collins and not pay him $11M that's fine, but then you have to trade him before the deadline and not let him walk in FA

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
That's fair, but kind of misses the point. Moving on from Collins isn't the issue, it's that there appears to be no plan in place with Gettleman. If he wanted to move on from Collins and not pay him $11M that's fine, but then you have to trade him before the deadline and not let him walk in FA
I agree 100%. I have no clue what the plan is anymore. I will be dumbfounded if the Giants keep Eli and draft Haskins. Seems like a huge waste of time to me. If it's me, I would have cut Eli and gone after a short term guy with a higher ceiling, like Bridgewater, who has experience with Shurmur and wouldn't demand a big contract. Give him 2 yrs and 10 per year with normal guarantees. You'd be saving a good amount toward the cap and then you can draft someone in 2020 when the QB class is supposed to be stacked, Tua, Fromme, Herbert, Eason, etc. This yr I'd draft a defensive playmaker. I really like this kid Devin White from LSU. Having a rangy sideline to sideline LB would be a huge boost. Then in round 2 I'd take a RT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom