Giants hire Joe Judge (Patriots ST/WR Coach) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Giants hire Joe Judge (Patriots ST/WR Coach)

Reaction Score
Matt Ruhle sends out a mass text to his Baylor players that he's gone, they can come see him if they want to. Seems like so many of these football coaches preach all sorts of stuff they don't abide by.

When $70m is thrown at you things change

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ron Rivera isn't white or black, it would be pretty damn strange for him to check either of those boxes and he certainly doesn't have anything to do with there being 2 black coaches in a league of 70% black players.

Lamar Jackson is a quarterback and has always been a quarterback. He was tne best quarterback in college and is the best quarterback in the NFL right now. You not realizing that people in the league telling him he's a wide receiver is wrong is just sad. Can't imagine how many good black QB's we missed on because of this screwed up thinking.

According to Jackson himself, it's person. Singular. A scout from the LA Chargers. Bill Polian is an outside television analyst and not, "in the league," in that regard.

It seems ludicrous with the benefit of hindsight regarding Jackson, but it's not as if other (theoretically) lifelong QBs did not or were not asked to change positions at a higher level than where they played QB. Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Tim Tebow to name a few. I read in SI (IIRC) years ago that Joe Pa wanted to make Jim Kelly a linebacker. He went to Miami instead.

I have no clue whether Polian's stated reason (throwing accuacy) had merit at the time. I'm not his biggest fan and don't follow him very closely. Whether it did or didn't, luckily the Ravens didn't put too much stock in it and traded up to get Jackson in the 1st round.

Everything else (i.e. my realizations) is an incorrect inference. I gave no opinion in that regard.

Reaction Score
Who is more important - a head coach or the general manager who brings in the players? You could have Vince Lombardi on the sidelines with Buddy Ryan as his defensive coach but with Gettelman bringing in the players you would still be behind the Cowboys and Eagles. I think the Washington team have a clone of Gettleman as their GM.

Reaction Score
When $70m is thrown at you things change
Of course you take the job, it's not about taking the job it's about having respect for people especially the young men who commit to you and who you preach to about what it means to be a man on a daily basis. You don't break up with people via text. What Edsall did is a million times worse but it seems so many of these coaches who act like military generals have no problem packing up and leaving without calling a meeting to address all their players.

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain the Baylor football players aren't hanging out in Waco TX on Jan 7th waiting for a team meeting to be called.

Reaction Score
There is some irony in your statement. Giant fans booed when Simms was drafted. Just because you don't know who he is, doesn't mean he wasn't a good pick.
Agree.

Reaction Score
According to Jackson himself, it's person. Singular. A scout from the LA Chargers. Bill Polian is an outside television analyst and not, "in the league," in that regard.

It seems ludicrous with the benefit of hindsight regarding Jackson, but it's not as if other (theoretically) lifelong QBs did not or were not asked to change positions at a higher level than where they played QB. Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Tim Tebow to name a few. I read in SI (IIRC) years ago that Joe Pa wanted to make Jim Kelly a linebacker. He went to Miami instead.

I have no clue whether Polian's stated reason (throwing accuacy) had merit at the time. I'm not his biggest fan and don't follow him very closely. Whether it did or didn't, luckily the Ravens didn't put too much stock in it and traded up to get Jackson in the 1st round.

Everything else (i.e. my realizations) is an incorrect inference. I gave no opinion in that regard.
All rationalizations notwithstanding, there’s always been a history of racist perceptions in the nfl.
Middle LB used to be a whites-only position by default. Was that simply because blacks were better suited to and being steered to play other positions, or was it something else?
Qb was considered a whites-only position, and for years, we had good black qbs immediately relegated to other positions because they were seen as better “athletes”, and not qbs. Implication being, they couldn’t, ahem “handle” the intellect behind the positions, where the player is required to coordinate the offense or defense.
HC’s and Front office positions, again, far and few between. Why? And what’s the excuse for that?
Racist beliefs have longevity and history and don’t always have to be directly stated or expressed. The good old boy network is alive & well, this latest HC coaching search being a prime example.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Who is more important - a head coach or the general manager who brings in the players? You could have Vince Lombardi on the sidelines with Buddy Ryan as his defensive coach but with Gettelman bringing in the players you would still be behind the Cowboys and Eagles. I think the Washington team have a clone of Gettleman as their GM.
They did, but Snyder just fired the GM Allen. They haven’t repacked him yet.

Reaction Score
Not saying Judge won’t be great who knows and I hope he’s the guy. Agreed a lot depends on coordinators. Just comical how this all went down with Giants taking the next Miss St coach. Heard nick Saban was relieved
Arizona took usc’s offensive coordinator and made him head coach.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
future head line...”Judge fired after going a combined 9-23 in two seasons.” Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
I think the worry the Giants had RE: Bienemy is that they had just gone with two offensive "guru's" who didn't end well. They didn't want to take the chance that third time was the charm.
They wanted a guy who could lead the room (Rhule was supposed to good at this).....and when the Rhule thing went like it did where you would have to pony up 80 million in cash to get him on board between base, incentives and Baylor buyout...well they went the second "leader of a room".

Plus when the Giants reached out to BB, he praised him big time. And he's got history with Saban.

Soooooo...I'm going to think positively. Now he's just got to get a competent staff, that's all.

One thing that worried me about Rhule is the fact that he's my age and in worse shape than I am. I can't have that for my football coach if they're gonna hire someone my age.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
OMG. This is crazy. I would have gone with Bienemy from the Chiefs. Insane, but these are the Giants we're talking about

He didn't call plays, that was Reid

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Saban and Belichick both really liked him. I know Belichick stated he is very intelligent and could run any part of a team in knowing the offense, and defense

The Giant's had two so-called offensive minds before and both bombed big time. With the lousy GM "not a Gettleman fan" I will take a wait and see approach as all Giant fans should.

No way in heck should they have matched what Carolina ponied up for Rhule. $9 million a year plus all the calls on the 53 man on the roster

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
Another thought, the Giants' braintrust just might feel lightning can strike twice and this coach will burst on the scene like Aaron Judge!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

How can you use braintrust and Giants together ? That ship sailed with Acorssi

Reaction Score
Arizona took usc’s offensive coordinator and made him head coach.

Not exactly an accurate portrayal of Kliff Kingsbury. He never coached a day as OC for USC. He was head coach of Texas Tech for 6 years and constantly had one of the best/ most potent offenses in college during his tenure

Reaction Score
Not exactly an accurate portrayal of Kliff Kingsbury. He never coached a day as OC for USC. He was head coach of Texas Tech for 6 years and constantly had one of the best/ most potent offenses in college during his tenure

How on earth does the Texa Tech head coach get fired, and the only job he can get is the USC offensive coordinator, but then gets the head coaching job of the Cardinals?

Don't get me wrong, actually liked the move. But, Texas Tech's defense was abysmal under Kingsbury.

Reaction Score
I think the worry the Giants had RE: Bienemy is that they had just gone with two offensive "guru's" who didn't end well. They didn't want to take the chance that third time was the charm.
They wanted a guy who could lead the room (Rhule was supposed to good at this).....and when the Rhule thing went like it did where you would have to pony up 80 million in cash to get him on board between base, incentives and Baylor buyout...well they went the second "leader of a room".

Plus when the Giants reached out to BB, he praised him big time. And he's got history with Saban.

Soooooo...I'm going to think positively. Now he's just got to get a competent staff, that's all.

One thing that worried me about Rhule is the fact that he's my age and in worse shape than I am. I can't have that for my football coach if they're gonna hire someone my age.

I hate going the hot assistant root. Because Patrick MaHomes is awesome, suddenly, the OC is going to be a great coach? Looks like the NFL is trying to get away from that.

How many hot assistants have worked out? Shurmur sucked. He was the hot assistant. That's a terrible way to find a head coach.

Better off scouring your network and finding people on a recommendation.

Reaction Score
How on earth does the Texa Tech head coach get fired, and the only job he can get is the USC offensive coordinator, but then gets the head coaching job of the Cardinals?

Don't get me wrong, actually liked the move. But, Texas Tech's defense was abysmal under Kingsbury.
He's not a defensive coach and he mentored Mahomes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not a Giants fan, but those of you who are had to like this. This guy gets it. I think this is going to be a great hire for the Giants.

Reaction Score
Not a Giants fan, but those of you who are had to like this. This guy gets it. I think this is going to be a great hire for the Giants.

HE SAID EVERYTHING RIGHT AT HIS PRESSER!!!! ENGRAVE THE TROPHY NOW!!!!

Reaction Score
I hate going the hot assistant root. Because Patrick MaHomes is awesome, suddenly, the OC is going to be a great coach? Looks like the NFL is trying to get away from that.

How many hot assistants have worked out? Shurmur sucked. He was the hot assistant. That's a terrible way to find a head coach.

Better off scouring your network and finding people on a recommendation.

Trust me. I'm a Jets fan. You usually choose between....

1) The retread head coach. Hopefully it's a guy with a good resume (McCarthy, Gruden) and even then it's not a guarantee (Mike Shanahan). If it's a guy like Norv Turner, Dennis Green, Rex Ryan? You are just treading water until the next coach comes. Like me waiting for Gase to be done with.

2) The hot college coach. Sometimes that is the young guy with sizzle. Sometimes it's a Steve Spurrier or Dennis Erickson. Always a pot shot because of the jump from college to pros.

3) The hot NFL off/def coordinator. I feel like that's the best route. They have basically been training for the role, they're hungry, they're in the pro game already and may have a reputation with players. I feel like this is the option with the most upside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nobody had Parcells pegged as a great when he was hired.

Reaction Score
I love what I heard from Joe Judge.

I think too many coaching hires always go after the hot name. I hate the hot NFL coordinator hire. They are almost totally dependent on how the team he coached perform. I hated the idea of a ST coach, and had never heard of the guy, but I liked what he said.

I like what's going on now. Giants hired a ST guy because that skill set -- organization and creativity -- are critical for a coach. I hate coaches that call their own plays. Only Andy Reid is allowed to do it, but he essentially gives his defensive coordinator control of half the team during the game. I like the CEO route that the Giants are going. He talked about flexibility, finding a way with what you have etc.

The reason the Patriots are so good is coaching. They change their game plan and style week to week and aren't married to their schemes. When they had Gronk and Hernandez, they were explosive passing team with 12 personnel grouping out there. They didn't draft to do that. They got to camp and were like holy .

They just bang on your weakness week to week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom