"Giant Steps: How Pistons center Andre Drummond became the man" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Giant Steps: How Pistons center Andre Drummond became the man"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know Jacobs has written his fair share of di*kish columns over the years, but jeez, the one he wrote about Drummond after he declared for the draft has to rank right near the top. Read the thing. It's cringe-worthy and an embarrassment to journalism.

Reaction Score
It's funny how many otherwise astute sports minds (not including Jacobs here, obviously) don't understand how much different the NBA game is than college. Many things are harder, of course, due to the obvious increase in talent level, but some things can be easier, due to the greater spacing created by a 3-point line out at 24 feet. For a guy like Drummond, he's facing bigger guys now, yes, so he has less of a physical advantage than he did here. But at the same time, when he got deep post position in college, a second defender was usually arriving right on the catch so he couldn't go to simple raw power moves around the hoop. And since he was raw, when he got the ball five feet and out where he was less effective, the double team didn't come - and he would start to press and force up lousy shots.

The greater spacing also leads to wider driving lanes for guards and more defenses getting out of formation and losing blockout assignments. I didn't see a lot of Pistons games last year, but I did see Drummond flying in for putbacks more in those couple games than he did in his UConn career, when someone always had a body on him.

For a guy like Kemba, it is much harder to finish among the trees, which was his toughest adjustment, but it is also easier for him to get into the lane. Defenses sagged as soon as he beat his man at UConn - now there's space to work with.

There's also probably some confidence and between the ears issues - it was different playing for StateU as the next big thing who is supposed to bring another title than it is after falling to No 9 in the draft and being brought along slowly without immediate expectations. Now he can have a chip on his shoulder - before he just had weight on his shoulders. That can make a difference when you are 18 or 19 and still figuring things out. Harrison Barnes struggled with some of those things as a frosh at UNC too.

Reaction Score
Im one person who thought AD would come in and be similar to Greg Oden as a freshman. He didnt fulfill those expectations but they were mine and if he didnt live up to them than thats a reflection of my lack of really knowing what he was capable of. I was still a fan of his and was glad to have him and i firmly believe he has the talent to be the best big man in the nba and i wish him the best.

Reaction Score
Firstly, off. Secondly, what in my comment suggests an ignorance of basketball? It is my opinion about one player that we've had in the 20+ years I've watched UConn basketball. If you disagree, fine. The ad hominem attacks are uncalled for.

Your suggestion that Andre, who averaged 11, 10, 2.5 in big east play, was somehow dissapointing as an 18 year old freshman was what suggests an ignorance of basketball, to be clear.

Those numbers, when taken in proper context that UConn specifically has never highlighted our freshman, are really very impressive. To suggest that they are not is what belies what other posters have called "debbie downer" ness. I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom