"Giant Steps: How Pistons center Andre Drummond became the man" | The Boneyard

"Giant Steps: How Pistons center Andre Drummond became the man"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
He is going to be a stud for many years to come. I am excited.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Love Andre. He is going to be a phenomenal ambassador for the program for the next 10-15 years.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I love how he's become a NBA media darling, they all think he's gonna explode soon.

the best part of all this is the profiles on him always show him to be a humble, normal kid with freakish ability. We don't have to feel weird about rooting for the kid bc he's such a good kid.
And I also love anything with Calhoun quotes in it...they really show how much he cares about his kids. The CBB writers who know him acknowledge that, but many ppl see him as a crass old angry man, these always show how much he does for his players and how much they mutually love each other. Fantastic read.
Ray and Ben were always my favorites, and Kemba obviously worked his way there, but I never thought I'd take to Andre like I have. He's quickly making me a pistons fan and one of my favorite players in the league.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have a hard time getting excited about Drummond's NBA success. The season he was here was disappointing, both individually and for the team.

If he becomes a star and helps attracts kids to UConn by association, then that's great. But otherwise, meh.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have a hard time getting excited about Drummond's NBA success. The season he was here was disappointing, both individually and for the team.

If he becomes a star and helps attracts kids to UConn by association, then that's great. But otherwise, meh.

That's not very nice.

Reaction Score

That team was very disappointing, but in the end, AD was a Husky (unlike Bynum). If he becomes a star, that bodes well for UConn.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

You probably are the only one.

The kid wanted to play for the program despite being NBA ready. Could have taken a scholarship away from Michael Bradley but chose to walk on because "he (Bradley) worked real hard for that scholarship."

It just so happened that his year here coincided with a "post championship" year in which they lost arguably their best player in a decade and were left with a few unhappy individuals and some young kids who weren't quite ready to take the lead.

He was nothing if not extremely likable during his short tenure here.

Reaction Score

How was he disappointing individually? He basically averaged a double double in Big East games as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I wish Drummond every success. He is a member of the UConn family.

Money talks and he would/might have been here longer only if the NCAA had not interfered. It is one thing to ask a star to pass up first round money to improve and to win a championship, but it is asking too much when a team is ineligible for any tournaments.

If he had done a post graduate year, do you think he would have come as a freshman last year? I think not.

So, we could not have gotten more time with him than we did, given the NCAA.

Would playing at UConn (without being paid #9 money) last season have improved him as much as his hard work and limited minutes at Detroit? People on the-boneyard would have ravaged him if he was not a savior and, if he was the savior, he would still be gone before this year and we would not have the chemistry was developed developed last year. I think being carefully and slowly developed has been the best for him because it developed his confidence.

While he is a great get for Dumars and Detroit, they have been great for him, too.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If he had done a post graduate year, do you think he would have come last year? I think not.

And he could have done just that. And while hindsight is 20/20, he probably would have been drafted higher if he did a post grad year and then went straight to the draft. His year at UConn probably hurt him slightly more than it helped him (perhaps not for his game but for his draft stock.)

While he is a great get for Dumars and Detroit, they have been great for him, too.

Which is somewhat of a miracle thus far considering that Detroit has been a black hole in recent years (and particularly for UConn players.) Hopefully his skills continue to outweigh that trend.

Reaction Score
so tired of Drummond getting hate by our fanbase.. Kid bleeds blue for Uconn. We didn't under perform that year because of Drummond. The team didn't gel. I enjoyed watching him play every game at XL that year. We should be proud to have had such a talent here.. yes for far too little time but get off your high horses.. This kid is a Uconn kid and our only one and done... We should all be proud.

Reaction Score
I don't get UConn fans who blame Drummond for not meeting their expectations.

Reaction Score
If you're disappointed in Drummond's production at Uconn, then you're somebody who put way more stock into youtube vidoes than the actual scouting report on Drummond - which was that he's a ridiculous physical specimen who's basically still learning how to play basketball.

There were four freshman centers last year ranked in the top 10 out of high school - Noel, Austin, Tarczewski, and Steven Adams. Drummond's freshman stats were roughly comparable (and in some cases much better) than all four of those guys.

Reaction Score
Cheeks played with Barkley and Moses Malone. really eye opening statement when he says dre has the best hands on a big he's ever seen. Also reading that Sheed spends hours in the gym with him one on one is really great, this kids going to develop into something big .

Reaction Score

Honest question: have you ever watched a game of basketball?

Reaction Score
Honest question: have you ever watched a game of basketball?

Firstly, off. Secondly, what in my comment suggests an ignorance of basketball? It is my opinion about one player that we've had in the 20+ years I've watched UConn basketball. If you disagree, fine. The ad hominem attacks are uncalled for.

Reaction Score
I don't get UConn fans who blame Drummond for not meeting their expectations.

That's the ultimate Boneyard crime. It's why there's resentment towards guys like Albie or Dyson (didn't succeed as Alpha Dogs) or Rudy and Drummond (didn't dominate like it seems they should have). But we're ok with Marcus Williams, even though he had a 33 percent success rate keeping himself eligible for entire seasons.

Reaction Score
You're just an Ass if thats how you evaluate players and people.. Tell me what were Emeka's freshman year numbers. Or how about Tim Duncan. Do you know how they compare to Drummond? You have no idea.

"Maybe I'm the only one, but I have a hard time getting excited about Drummond's NBA success. The season he was here was disappointing, both individually and for the team.

If he becomes a star and helps attracts kids to UConn by association, then that's great. But otherwise, meh."

Reaction Score
You're just an Ass if thats how you evaluate players and people.. Tell me what were Emeka's freshman year numbers. Or how about Tim Duncan. Do you know how they compare to Drummond? You have no idea.

All I'm saying is I don't get as excited about the NBA career of Andre Drummond -- who was a Husky for all of 9 months and didn't accomplish anything while he was here -- as I do about someone like Ray, Rip, Emeka, or Kemba, who were integral parts of our growth as a program and/or led us to titles.

Reacting to that statement as if I just insulted your mother is ridiculous.

Reaction Score

This guy . . . you are one debbie downer. Every post.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is I don't get as excited about the NBA career of Andre Drummond -- who was a Husky for all of 9 months and didn't accomplish anything while he was here -- as I do about someone like Ray, Rip, Emeka, or Kemba, who were integral parts of our growth as a program and/or led us to titles.

Reacting to that statement as if I just insulted your mother is ridiculous.
He was still a Husky, and the success of UConn pros is still a big recruiting tool. And like it or not, that might be the biggest draw we have considering our conference situation.

I'm not going to tell fans how they should feel about a player, but you're kind of an a** if you don't root for Drummond to succeed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
who doesn't consider andre a husky? he did choose to play here without a scholarship correct? that deserves respect on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom