Giant killer? Which double-digit seed is most likely to score an upset today (Wed. 3/24)? | The Boneyard

Giant killer? Which double-digit seed is most likely to score an upset today (Wed. 3/24)?

Which double-digit seed is most likely to score an upset today (Wed. 3/24)?

• #13 Wright State (over #5 Missouri State)

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • #12 Belmont (over #4 Indiana)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • #11 BYU (over #3 Arizona)

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pick your giant-killer of day 2 of round 2 (Wed., Mar. 24).

Even if you don't think any of them will win, you can still pick the one you think has the best chance.

:)

Reaction Score
I do like BYU a lot....
This is an important game for the kitties and Barnes. U of A has superior talent and an upset here might take some of the gloss off of Coach Barne's emerging reputation.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I voted for Wright State, I do think they are "most likely".

BYU is in some ways scary. As Adia said, very well coached and while she thought they would lose to Rutgers she wasn't surprised when they didn't. About my point of view, as well, so far as it goes.

If Arizona shows up like they can, bye BYU. If they play down, like they do at times, bye Arizona.

And @azfan - maybe some other year, but if Arizona loses Adia's reputation will be just fine. I personally think the #3 seed - nice as it looks - is a bit high, since Arizona could really only be judged by in-conference games. Because of the pandemic, we will never really, really know - except by their performance in the tourney - how good they are or are not.

Reaction Score
Interesting Poll. Belmont stood out to me. I'm clearly in the minority.

Reaction Score

BYU is in some ways scary. As Adia said, very well coached and while she thought they would lose to Rutgers she wasn't surprised when they didn't. About my point of view, as well, so far as it goes.

If Arizona shows up like they can, bye BYU. If they play down, like they do at times, bye Arizona.

And @azfan - maybe some other year, but if Arizona loses Adia's reputation will be just fine. I personally think the #3 seed - nice as it looks - is a bit high, since Arizona could really only be judged by in-conference games. Because of the pandemic, we will never really, really know - except by their performance in the tourney - how good they are or are not.
Barnes reputation will hold in Tucson . . . regardless of the outcome today or this year or next year or . . . . Like Sean Miller, Barnes can stay in Tucson and coach as long as she wants.

If Barnes's team does play down again,, and I agree that "If they play down, like they do at times, bye Arizona." then there will be questioning of her coaching chops.

Playing down with the 2x Pac Defensive Player of the Year, Naismith Defensive finalist, and upcoming first round WNBA pick, Sam Thomas, the jack of all trades and master of all, inexplicable loss to WSU (leading by 9 entering the 4th, give up tying layup with 2 seconds left, not controlling McDonald in OT - 1 for 5),rivalry loss to the Dun Devils in OT and the underwhelming loss to the Bruins in the Pac tournament.

Barnes will be good as gold in the Old Pueblo regardless of this tournament - but an early exit will give pause to those who are not Wildcats as they evaluate Barnes ceiling as a coach.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is an important game for the kitties and Barnes. U of A has superior talent and an upset here might take some of the gloss off of Coach Barne's emerging reputation.
I'm pretty sure you're rooting against Arizona, aren't you. Your jealousy that UA has gone flying past ASU is showing.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you're rooting against Arizona, aren't you. Your jealousy that UA has gone flying past ASU is showing.
Rooting for all Pac teams. Only root against in the rivalry game.

My vote on this thread was Wright State.

It is worthy of note 7 BYers picked BYU.

My reading of this thread is that picking an upset is rooting for underdog.

Reaction Score
First half Gonzales played McDonald. Barnes is going to need to find some adjustments on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
If Barnes can't get the kitties on track this would be the killer upset of the day.

Reaction Score

Just noticed this. Did Barnes actually say out loud before the game she thought they lose to Rutgers?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just noticed this. Did Barnes actually say out loud before the game she thought they lose to Rutgers?
That BYU would lose to Rutgers. She didn't watch the game (at the time it was played) so they asked her what she thought of BYU being their opponent instead of Rutgers. She said that she thought Rutgers would beat BYU because they were so much quicker, but that she wasn't completely surprised BYU won because they were a very well coached team.

I suspect she had at least briefly pre-scouted both of them so that she wasn't starting from scratch if Arizona advanced, no matter what coaches say about not looking ahead.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, although none of the three prevailed, I'd say those who voted for BYU are the winners.

The game with Arizona was a virtual dead heat for 38 minutes. BYU led by 4 with 5:00 to play but then scored only 3 more points the rest of the way. Arizona, as it has done so often this season, out-leans its lesser opponent at the tape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom