Getting to know the Boneyard members at bit | The Boneyard

Getting to know the Boneyard members at bit

Reaction Score
I'd like to know more about members of the Boneyard. So I'll start with this question to any and all:

Outside of marriage and/or your children, what is the most significant/memorable moment of your life.

My most memorable professional moment was arresting Michael Lauder. Michael was a brilliant man who suffered from schizophrenia who brutally murdered his pregnant girlfriend in Hasting on the Hudson in 1998 and subsequently took a bus to Cornell University after having committed the heinous crime.

Reaction Score
All I got that comes close is that I met actress Betsy Palmer at a party at my home in the summer of '74, before she played the murderous mother in the iconic movie, Friday the 13th.

Reaction Score
All of my events are small. I did no signally great thing either professionally or personally. I successfully attained all the professional certifications in my field: MA PhD tenure, published the requisite number of scholarly articles and so on. But these are finally trivial as markers of a life. I’d like to think I’ve been a good mentor to several hundred college students who’ve passed through my college. And that I’ve been a good father and husband. The only sense in which I’ve stepped outside the usual path of a pedant is my hobby: writing novels. I’ve published 8 spy thrillers and am in the middle of #9. They’re just pulp fiction, nothing great about them. But I have enjoyed writing them very much.

Reaction Score
All of my events are small. I did no signally great thing either professionally or personally. I successfully attained all the professional certifications in my field: MA PhD tenure, published the requisite number of scholarly articles and so on. But these are finally trivial as markers of a life. I’d like to think I’ve been a good mentor to several hundred college students who’ve passed through my college. And that I’ve been a good father and husband. The only sense in which I’ve stepped outside the usual path of a pedant is my hobby: writing novels. I’ve published 8 spy thrillers and am in the middle of #9. They’re just pulp fiction, nothing great about them. But I have enjoyed writing them very much.
Impressive and not small by any means

Reaction Score
Toss up between UConn MBB championship in 1999, and a hole-in-one I finally made in 2019 (about 60 years trying). WBB in 1995 was up there too.
A hole in one is very elusive for us weekend warriors. Congrats on yours. I have two, one in 1998 and one in 2024 ( 3 week ago) both at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Cornell University

Reaction Score
My greatest accomplishment..

The realization and acceptance of God’s unconditional love and faith in as my Lord and Savior..

“Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see”
~ John Newton

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I’m sure there’s a large number of folks that spend time here in the BY that in any way one could measure their lives that they would be considered very accomplished and highly successful.

Received training as a Massage Therapist specializing in Pfrimmer Deep muscle Therapy in 1991. Over the years I’ve played a part in people living where they have less pain in their bodies to living pain free lives.

I still see clients I’ve had for over 30 years and others who keep tabs on my wife & I.

This weekend our daughter was in town and my 13 & 19 year old grandsons wanted their backs worked on. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nothing dramatic for me, either. I worked 30 years for one company and I think I did a good job, which I'm old enough to be proud of. Have been married for going on 37 years and, while no children, have had a succession of generally long lived pups, so I'm proud of being a family man in that regard.

It hasn't been a perfect life, of course, and as I say it lacks a defining accomplishment. Yet, for all that, I guess the right thing to say is I'm ok with where I've been and where I'm at. And there are so many out there for which this isn't true.

Reaction Score
Grad school at UConn in early 60's - UCONN fan since then - 60 years - true blue blood
Now at 85, still around (in FL) to watch my adopted school be the best in college basketball, baseball, hockey and more.
and glad Bobby Hurley chose to stay! What's next? Can't wait!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I set the wheels in motion to help the escape of the wife and daughters of an Afghan friend of mine who were trapped while on a trip to visit relatives in Kabul when the Taliban took over. They escaped the day before the airport bombing. My wife, RIP, and I mentored the family through a refugee organization after they fled the Taliban about 10:years. The husband had been a police official who had earned the animosity of the Taliban, his wife no formal education due to a Taliban restrictions in their area and who in the US covers her hair but otherwise no face cover and nothing close to a birka, two boys and two younger sisters.

The wife who has a green card, and two daughters went back to Afghanistan to visit her mother (who died of Covid during the visit) and other family. When the government was giving signs of crumbling the husband moved up the return date but events moved too fast. He called me who has zero power to try and help. I called my Congressperson to try and make sure the State Dept was aware they were traveling in Afghanistan and were on an evacuation list. The next day, I was watching a cable channel, which I was doing rarely, and a man was being interviewed who had worked for our DOD and NATO and was an expert on Afghanistan. He sounded both knowledgeable and pissed off. So I decided to try and contact him to see if he could help. Through an organization he was part of that I found on Google, I emailed them and quite quickly they gave me a way to contact him. He actually replied to me who he doesn’t know from Adam within an hour and gave me a secure phone # to call him. This guy is amazing. He immediately called the husband who gave him the wife’s contact info in Kabul. He called me back and said he thought he could find a way to get them out. By this time the airport was under siege. Then the wife threw a major curve ball. She would not leave without her siblings and their kids, none of them with US papers and bringing the total to 9. My contact said he would find a way - I suspect he knows some Taliban who somehow cooperated - and got them all to the airport and out the day before the airport bombing. I had a pic of them sitting on the tarmac, the women all in burkas , the only way they could travel in public. I really didn’t do much except make the right contact because I happened to turn on my TV.

Postscript. The husband has since finished a masters in Public Administration, the family are now all naturalized US citizens and almost 9 months to the day of the family’s return, they added another son. The wife is working hard on her English. The whole family are very nice. The other relatives had to stay in the DC area at first to be processed and are now living in CT. Imagine moving to a new country with zero pre-planning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I went from living in a public housing project, to the US Navy where I attended Electronics Tech and Nuclear Power schools. While serving aboard the USS Carl Vinson I took #2 reactor plant critical for the very first time. I qualified to operate there different reactor plants by age 25. While serving full time, I completed a BS degree as a first gen member of my family to graduate from college. I left the Navy after almost 11 years and went to work for a major airframe manufacturer in the PNW where worked for 32 years. While working full time, I earned an MBA and went on to become a Marketing/Sales director managing accounts in India, Thailand, Vietnam, and New Zealand. I've been to every continent except Antarctica and over 45 countries. I'm also the son of an immigrant mother who didn't speak English and parents neither of whom graduated from high school. I retired at 62, have a son who's a world-class sailor and a PhD daughter doing cancer research at UVM.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'd like to know more about members of the Boneyard. So I'll start with this question to any and all:

Outside of marriage and/or your children, what is the most significant/memorable moment of your life.

My most memorable professional moment was arresting Michael Lauder. Michael was a brilliant man who suffered from schizophrenia who brutally murdered his pregnant girlfriend in Hasting on the Hudson in 1998 and subsequently took a bus to Cornell University after having committed the heinous crime.

Thank you for arresting that son of a bitch.

Reaction Score
By far the most significant experience of my life was to have served with a group of incredibly brave and honorable men as an infantryman in the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam.

Their memory inspired me to submit a drawing to a competition for a memorial to the service of Vietnam veterans. It was the winning design for the Suffolk County (Long Island) Vietnam Veterans Memorial. There are some nice drone videos of it on Youtube.

Finally, there was another service, difficult in its own way, as a juror in a Federal District Court trial in Boston. It resulted in the largely inaccurate book and movie- "A Civil Action."

I am an example of history knocking on my door, uninvited.

Reaction Score
I set the wheels in motion to help the escape of the wife and daughters of an Afghan friend of mine who were trapped while on a trip to visit relatives in Kabul when the Taliban took over. They escaped the day before the airport bombing. My wife, RIP, and I mentored the family through a refugee organization after they fled the Taliban about 10:years. The husband had been a police official who had earned the animosity of the Taliban, his wife no formal education due to a Taliban restrictions in their area and who in the US covers her hair but otherwise no face cover and nothing close to a birka, two boys and two younger sisters.

The wife who has a green card, and two daughters went back to Afghanistan to visit her mother (who died of Covid during the visit) and other family. When the government was giving signs of crumbling the husband moved up the return date but events moved too fast. He called me who has zero power to try and help. I called my Congressperson to try and make sure the State Dept was aware they were traveling in Afghanistan and were on an evacuation list. The next day, I was watching a cable channel, which I was doing rarely, and a man was being interviewed who had worked for our DOD and NATO and was an expert on Afghanistan. He sounded both knowledgeable and pissed off. So I decided to try and contact him to see if he could help. Through an organization he was part of that I found on Google, I emailed them and quite quickly they gave me a way to contact him. He actually replied to me who he doesn’t know from Adam within an hour and gave me a secure phone # to call him. This guy is amazing. He immediately called the husband who gave him the wife’s contact info in Kabul. He called me back and said he thought he could find a way to get them out. By this time the airport was under siege. Then the wife threw a major curve ball. She would not leave without her siblings and their kids, none of them with US papers and bringing the total to 9. My contact said he would find a way - I suspect he knows some Taliban who somehow cooperated - and got them all to the airport and out the day before the airport bombing. I had a pic of them sitting on the tarmac, the women all in burkas , the only way they could travel in public. I really didn’t do much except make the right contact because I happened to turn on my TV.

Postscript. The husband has since finished a masters in Public Administration, the family are now all naturalized US citizens and almost 9 months to the day of the family’s return, they added another son. The wife is working hard on her English. The whole family are very nice. The other relatives had to stay in the DC area at first to be processed and are now living in CT. Imagine moving to a new country with zero pre-planning.
That is an amazing story. Thank you for being diligent and persistent in helping this family.

Reaction Score
Connecticut Yankee. BA from Penn, MBA from Harvard and at the end of my professional career was named President of Yanmar America, the first non-Japanese to hold that position. Have lived in South America and Japan and half a dozen other states before landing in Knoxville, where I proudly annoy bunches of folks when I talk about WCBB. I'm proudest of my relationship with my Dad. After a rocky start (only 19 or so years!) I grew to respect and revere him. He became my closest friend, my best advisor and was an awesome roommate for the better part of 30 years, til he passed away at 103 in our apartment. He taught me what life was all about and set an example I'll never forget and will likely never achieve. Well, you asked!!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I spent 33 years in public education in Connecticut. I was a band director and music teacher. My most memorable moments were teaching on the middle school level. My middle school jazz band and middle school wind ensemble, both audition only groups, played at the state music teachers convention. The kids, the parents and the school administration were so happy and proud of what the kids had accomplished.

Outside of my teaching, I volunteered for coaching little league and babe ruth baseball teams. My kids were involved. A lot of great memories of games and winning championships. I spent over 25 years as a volunteer leader for Boy Scouts of America. I was a Scoutmaster to two of my sons when they recieved their rank of Eagle Scout. I was also Scoutmaster for over 30 boys who recieved their Eagle rank.

After my boys aged out of Scouting, I stayed on as a Scoutmaster and then became district chairman. Many great memories as chairman but the one that will always be with me was the tragedy that struck Sandy Hook Elementary School. We had a vibrant Cub Scout pack there. The news broke before noon, as I remember, and I was in complete shock. My very good friend, who was #2 in the district, called me and ask what should we do? I had no idea but I got on the phone and started calling the Sandy Hook leaders. I also notified the district committee about what had happened. Later that day the names of those who died were released. That's when we knew. As funeral arrangements were made and wakes scheduled, I met with the leadership and we decided that if possible, we would attend all the events. Many of us made all six wakes and funerals of those who died that were members of the Cub Pack. There are specific memories that I will not go into here. Needless to say those memories and images and faces will never leave me.

One more event that will never leave me was May 4, 1970. The Kent State Shootings. I was a freshman then. I was by the architectual building when the shooting started. I knew 2 of those who died. Many images remain with me. Another date that I will never forget.

Reaction Score
I guess I've lived a varied life. Born and raised in the Bronx, NY.
From 8 until 18 did some movies West Side Story original, FBI Story a couple more, a Perry Como Show, a Sid Caesar Show, and a couple Broadway Shows.
At 18 went out to Liberty, MO to William Jewell College a Southern Baptist College being one of 3 Jews on campus Where I wrestled on the College Conference Champion team caught the Wrestling bug and decided to teach Physical Education and Coach HS Wrestling!
Taught HS History and Coached HS Wrestling in Polo, MO 1970-1971, moved on to Plattsburg, MO started the Elementary PE there and Coached HS Wrestling1971-1973.
In August 1973 I got the Elementary PE job and HS Wrestling coach in East Lyme, CT. Teaching till June 2000 when I retired from teaching. During that time I coached HS Wrestling till 2002. In 1998 I was selected CT Wrestling Coach of the Year and in April 2005 was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame! It was a joy for myself and my assistants to coach over 400 wonderful kids from tremendous families through those years!
After retiring from teaching and coaching my buddy Glenn and I got season tickets for the UConn WBB and we traveled to all the 1st & 2nd rounds, Regionals and Final Fours from 2002 to 2013!
Glenn and I had to give up our season tickets because of ill health and money problems!
From 2013 to the present time I've dealt with Heart problems, bad Arthritis, now for the last 2 years I've had problems with my feet having 3 operations on my right foot and 1 on my left foot! Having been so active earlier this health stuff now sucks big time!
I still fanatically follow my WBB Huskies and my NY Yankees and they get me through the year!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
After retirement, I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I went to the park one day, and watched a Dog Agility Trial going on. I had just got a dog for companionship, and thought this looked like fun. It took a long time to learn how to train my dogs, but they were very smart and cooperative.

I ended up doing this for 14 years, until I finally had to "retire" again at age 75. I ran three different English Cocker Spaniels, and they all earned many Agility Titles.

For those unfamiliar, they give you a course map, with the sequence of obstacles. (Shown at the beginning of the video). You then get to walk the course for about ten minutes, without your dog, while you plan your handling strategy. Here is a representative run. ( I was age 70) Hope you enjoy watching.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
After retirement, I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I went to the park one day, and watched a Dog Agility Trial going on. I had just got a dog for companionship, and thought this looked like fun. It took a long time to learn how to train my dogs, but they were very smart and cooperative.

I ended up doing this for 14 years, until I finally had to "retire" again at age 75. I ran three different English Cocker Spaniels, and they all earned many Agility Titles.

For those unfamiliar, they give you a course map, with the sequence of obstacles. (Shown at the beginning of the video). You then get to walk the course for about ten minutes, without your dog, while you plan your handling strategy. Here is a representative run. ( I was age 70) Hope you enjoy watching.

Do you Practice on the same course?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom