Getting Samson Going | The Boneyard

Getting Samson Going

Reaction Score
So while watching the game the other night I quickly realized that Samson was not putting himself in great position of offense and it was immediately leading to the other team leaving him to double team us.

I’m hoping the staff makes this adjustment, but we need to use Samson just like we used Andre last year. Set some screens for him and have him run the baseline and put him in the dunker’s spot. It took us 8-9 games last year for our staff to see this and make the adjustment for Andre. Let’s hope they can see the similarities and get Samson in some similar positions as we had AJax in last year because it looks like we may be missing DC here for a game or two. We need to get Samson involved on offense to keep the defense honest.

Reaction Score
So while watching the game the other night I quickly realized that Samson was not putting himself in great position of offense and it was immediately leading to the other team leaving him to double team us.

I’m hoping the staff makes this adjustment, but we need to use Samson just like we used Andre last year. Set some screens for him and have him run the baseline and put him in the dunker’s spot. It took us 8-9 games last year for our staff to see this and make the adjustment for Andre. Let’s hope they can see the similarities and get Samson in some similar positions as we had AJax in last year because it looks like we may be missing DC here for a game or two. We need to get Samson involved on offense to keep the defense honest.

He plays a different position than Andre and has 0 passing or ballhandling ability. I don't think that's a realistic way to use him.

Samson just needs to learn our sets and use his BBIQ. It's obviously there somewhere because he has moments of brilliance, but he spends a lot of time getting in the ballhandler's way and is often the last one in position when we set up a play.

Being a big minutes starter is a totally different role, and probably not one he is suited to at the moment because he's been training to be a bench energy guy. But now that teams have figured out his offense (dunks), he's been limited. We don't really need 10+ points from him. What we need is him to fit in the offense and GET SOME REBOUNDS. 1 rebound in 21 minutes was unacceptable the other night. Force Soriano to put a body on him on the boards and that will give our guards room to maneuver.

I suspect we'll have him in the film room and the coaches will be hyping him up to get him ready for Soriano.

Reaction Score
Samson playing how his role is designed. Ever watch his high school tape? He brings the ball up court, shoots threes and moves all over the court. He is an exceptional athlete for a man his size. He is sacrificing for the team. Right now, his role is high screen, high hedge and play in a phone booth down low. If Hurley decides to expand his role he is more than capable.

Reaction Score
I realize they play different positions but I think you’re missing the big picture. What we did last year for AJax was set some slip screens along the baseline that gave him wide open lobs for dunks and it made the defense have to guard him tighter. Samson is perfectly capable of catching a lob (in fact it’s one of the only things he can do right now).

We can’t have him camping out in the paint getting 3 second violations while not moving because everyone knows we aren’t throwing the ball into him for him to post his guy up. He needs to be moving within the 3 point arc, mostly along the baseline with some flashes to the free throw line where we can play some pick and roll action at the top of the key. It’s all pretty basic stuff but none of it was done once Clingan went out. I get that the staff wasn’t thinking Samson would play 30 minutes a game, but we ran the same offense with Samson as we did with Clingan and that’s a big part of what lost us that game. They’re very different players and we need to run some different stuff when Samson is in there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Samson is playing the 5. Concentrate on protecting the rim, grabbing the ball, snaring rebounds and shooting the ball while facing the basket within 10 feet of the rim. No need to be getting 3 second calls if you keep your feet and body moving. Baseline screens? BS
You are a 5 - play like a 5

Reaction Score
The guy had one bad game! I'm not sure exactly what you expect from him, but he's been a solid backup all year. I'm not as high on his upside as some here, but everyone seemed happy with his play before the SH game.

Reaction Score
Samson had been playing 'well' before SH, showing his much improved development and comfort playing against good opponents.

Its like we are in panic mode right now after one ineffective performance, yet many teams in the Nation would love to have Samson as their 'Clingan' replacement.

Perhaps change 'Samson's' name in the thread to Karaban, for a more interesting discussion.

Reaction Score
Samson shows a lot of fight going for rebounds but doesn't really have the nose for the ball that some other guys do. I was really happy at how hard I saw him competing with Bediako who is one of the stronger 5s in the conference. I think he'll keep improving on the boards and in the defensive rotation with minutes.

The main concern I have for him is finding more ways to impact the game offensively. He can't be limited to dunks if we're not getting transition opportunities, there has to be something else.

Reaction Score
I think we forget how little PT Samson has had. Love him, but he's close to a freshman, and is something of a one-trick pony.

Reaction Score
The guy had one bad game! I'm not sure exactly what you expect from him, but he's been a solid backup all year. I'm not as high on his upside as some here, but everyone seemed happy with his play before the SH game.

I wouldn't say he's had "one bad game." He's been playing pretty badly once the scout was out after the Texas game. His last decent games were against Manhattan and UNH... and well, what do you expect? Those teams suck. We need defense and rebounding from our backup 5, and he hasn't been holding up his end of the rotation. Forget about the offense--just don't hurt the team.

His stats over the past 5 games...
17mpg
3.0 fouls
2.4 ppg
2.0 rpg
0.6 ast
0.6 blk
Hasn't taken a FT...in 83 minutes of basketball in the post.

We need more from him going forward if Clingan is going to sit for a while. Even as a bench option, the lack of rebounds and elevated # of fouls is not up to our standard.

I'm excited for his chance to show his chops tonight. I really think he can step up to the plate if he does him homework in the film room and the staff has him mentally prepared.

Reaction Score
I realize they play different positions but I think you’re missing the big picture. What we did last year for AJax was set some slip screens along the baseline that gave him wide open lobs for dunks and it made the defense have to guard him tighter. Samson is perfectly capable of catching a lob (in fact it’s one of the only things he can do right now).

We can’t have him camping out in the paint getting 3 second violations while not moving because everyone knows we aren’t throwing the ball into him for him to post his guy up. He needs to be moving within the 3 point arc, mostly along the baseline with some flashes to the free throw line where we can play some pick and roll action at the top of the key. It’s all pretty basic stuff but none of it was done once Clingan went out. I get that the staff wasn’t thinking Samson would play 30 minutes a game, but we ran the same offense with Samson as we did with Clingan and that’s a big part of what lost us that game. They’re very different players and we need to run some different stuff when Samson is in there.

I agree we need to get him off the 3-point line. I'm all for getting him going with baseline dunks since teams have figured out how to take away the lob from Newton and Cam. AK would be a great screener there--the let him flare to the corner and there should be plenty of space for the guards to have decision-making opportunities.

The point I was making (admittedly poorly) was that I don't want us putting im in a playmaking role at the top of the key or in the short corner like we did with Andre. That will be an unmitigated disaster.

Reaction Score
Samson playing how his role is designed. Ever watch his high school tape? He brings the ball up court, shoots threes and moves all over the court. He is an exceptional athlete for a man his size. He is sacrificing for the team. Right now, his role is high screen, high hedge and play in a phone booth down low. If Hurley decides to expand his role he is more than capable.

This is is high school mixtape. Where do you see him bringing the ball up the court? He took 2 dribbles total. I watched probably a dozen of his high school games between HoopHall and what I could find on Youtube. He was never a ballhandler. Ever. What you see here (and in the games I watched) was pretty much what we see now. Athletic lob threat, especially in transition, and sloppy at most everything else on offense. He was taking 3s then, but never hit a good enough % to warrant it being a serious part of his game in college.

His place is in the post using his length and athleticism to be disruptive on defense and opportunistic on offense. I actually really like how he's improved his passing in Storrs. He isn't making tough reads, but doesn't turn it over at all really.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say he's had "one bad game." He's been playing pretty badly once the scout was out after the Texas game. His last decent games were against Manhattan and UNH... and well, what do you expect? Those teams suck. We need defense and rebounding from our backup 5, and he hasn't been holding up his end of the rotation. Forget about the offense--just don't hurt the team.

His stats over the past 5 games...
17mpg
3.0 fouls
2.4 ppg
2.0 rpg
0.6 ast
0.6 blk
Hasn't taken a FT...in 83 minutes of basketball in the post.

We need more from him going forward if Clingan is going to sit for a while. Even as a bench option, the lack of rebounds and elevated # of fouls is not up to our standard.

I'm excited for his chance to show his chops tonight. I really think he can step up to the plate if he does him homework in the film room and the staff has him mentally prepared.
Yeah, those stats are telling. I guess it's just a matter of expectations. I didn't expect a lot from him coming into the season. Everyone got all excited when he was finishing alley oops early in the season. Yeah, we know he can do that. As you said, it's not that difficult for quality programs to limit that. He has shown no ability for any other offense, and I don't remember good rebounding stats. I'm hoping for him to be a defensive presence and rebound better. He was really bad in the Seton Hall game, but I think that was an aberration

Reaction Score
Samson gets 2 fouls, who is coming in? Are we going small or Singare?

Reaction Score
Call me crazy. Samson has a big game tomorrow night. UConn rides a raucous crowd to a double digit victory

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Call me crazy. Samson has a big game tomorrow night. UConn rides a raucous crowd to a double digit victory
I would settle for 0 points if he actually made an effort to box out and deter people at the rim. He’s playing as frail as he looks lately. I thought he was proving me wrong in November but he’s been a huge liability lately. Hopefully this post gives him the mojo he needs

Reaction Score
I would settle for 0 points if he actually made an effort to box out and deter people at the rim. He’s playing as frail as he looks lately. I thought he was proving me wrong in November but he’s been a huge liability lately. Hopefully this post gives him the mojo he needs
Big game doesn’t equal a bunch of points for me. I think he’s going to have a good game

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Big game doesn’t equal a bunch of points for me. I think he’s going to have a good game
Right, and especially if others step up on offense, and they certainly should, he doesn't need to score a lot of points. If he does the other things right, such as playing good defense, effectively setting screens, and getting more than a handful of rebounds, it will be more than enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom