Gettin better | The Boneyard

Gettin better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Over all I thought they are getting better. This time the opponent didn't beat them... they beat themselves which is improvement over game one. Still.... that 1st quarter turnover that cost them 7...ouch!! Obi!! Come on brother they are focusing on you now and succeeding! The last two dropped passes.... picture perfect passes, all you have to do is grab the pig and hold on.... grrrr

Offensive line, WITH HELP, did a good job at times. Other times...just awful protection. Boise keyed on stopping the run, Whitmer burned them enough times with good, short passes that I would have to say I see improvement and have optimism for the league schedule coming up. Noticed a couple times(with the help of the announcer) that Whitmer choose throwing to the long side instead of the short on third and manageable in the 4th Q. I'm sure that will be addressed in the coming days.

Defense, other than a couple times getting burned deep...a pretty good showing vs a good offense. One nice special teams opportunity, one early kickoff out of bounds. -Growing pains

Over all an enjoyable game to watch. UConn could have won that if it wasn't for mistakes. Hey...better luck vs South Florida lads. GOOOOOO HUSKIES!!!!!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah. Definitely think the team is improving. I think we will be pretty tough agains the run all year.

Oline really needs to step up.

AND NO MORE 1st quarter fumbles!!!

Reaction Score
I agree with OP 100%. Really think you've seen some progress with this team. Ajayi is one of the better RBs out there, and the defense made him almost a non-factor. O-Line still the biggest area for improvement, but just by using the eye test, I think most of us can agree this team has taken some steps toward getting better.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure beating yourself is worse than getting beat by the other team. But I've been watching this team the last 3+ years so I may have been driven insane.
I'm pretty sure your always going to take an opposing view but so be it.... this time, minus the mistakes, UConn was in a position to take this one. Nice improvement over game one where the zebras held BYU back about as much as UCONN did.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree that UConn beat itself as much as Boise beat UConn.

The offense had several long drives where they moved the ball and controlled possession.

The defense showed that Boise couldn't move the ball on them.

Beth Mowins is horrible but Joey Galloway had several good calls during the game.

And I hope BD is a big enough person to see that no matter how much physical talent Obi has, he can't cover receivers one on one.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I saw improvement. Better pressure on QB....better sideline to sideline coverage. I see a good game on Friday night....but only if the QB position doesn't kill them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure your always going to take an opposing view but so be it.... this time, minus the mistakes, UConn was in a position to take this one. Nice improvement over game one where the zebras held BYU back about as much as UCONN did.

From you. Yes. Always.

Reaction Score
Agree that UConn beat itself as much as Boise beat UConn.

The offense had several long drives where they moved the ball and controlled possession.

The defense showed that Boise couldn't move the ball on them.

Beth Mowins is horrible but Joey Galloway had several good calls during the game.

And I hope BD is a big enough person to see that no matter how much physical talent Obi has, he can't cover receivers one on one.
Couldn't agree more regarding Obi, he has been the week link in our secondary - other teams have been targeting him, and he has killed our defense by continually giving up big plays. I'm not sure if it's that he's not capable of covering receivers or if he has just had a much more difficult time picking up the new defense cause there are times where he just seems lost out there (a lot of missed assignments on top of getting burnt).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more regarding Obi, he has been the week link in our secondary - other teams have been targeting him, and he has killed our defense by continually giving up big plays. I'm not sure if it's that he's not capable of covering receivers or if he has just had a much more difficult time picking up the new defense cause there are times where he just seems lost out there (a lot of missed assignments on top of getting burnt).

On the play where he was burned one on one over the middle Galloway mentioned how WR's drool when they see a S 12 yards off the line. WR's know they have a full head of steam and only have to put one move on the S and the S is screwed.

As bad as Obi has played part of it is on the staff for putting him in low percentage coverages.

Also on the TD in the fourth, Galloway noted that Joseph was the underneath LB and it's the LB's responsibility to make sure that throwing lane isn't available.

Reaction Score
This team is getting closer. You can see it. It is night and day from the end of the P era in terms of delay of game type penalties and overall disorganization. I thought about starting a thread about this but i'll just throw it in here. The fumbles to start these games are just frigging killing us. At this point, we have gotten back breaking fumbles from Delorenzo, Marriner, and Newsome. Guess Ron Johnson is due up. This team really battled today. The int from Whitmer is a killer, but it is Whitmer in a nutshell, and that is why most of us wanted to see CC exclusively coming into the year. He is it for now though. Didn't see the Boyle garbage time throws as my four year old was driving me nuts by that time.

I've grown to appreciate Whitmer's toughness and resiliency. His warts are what they are and are not going to improve. That is why if Boyle is close to being ready, why not. Whitmer has shown time and time again that the crucial turnover is always lurking with him.

Defense looks good minus Obi and Graham Stewart is frustrating as well. I call the two of them all airport team guys. Look great at the airport, not so much on the field however. It also wouldn't hurt the D to cause a turnover once in a while but overall they are above average. Some of the youngsters at times get exposed when subbing in. On a crucial third down play I saw Jamar Summers get beat but you're going to get that with true freshman.

I wonder if anyone watched Knappe and if he looked good. I thought he got the seal block on Max's long run, but the replay looked like it was a tightend. Bloom is going to be real good. Perhaps a star at TE. Whitmer referred to this game in the post game as part of the preseason, with teh conference games starting next week, so the team bought into Diaco 100 percent as far as this still being part of the preparation phase. Hopefully it pays off sooner rather than later.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree with almost everything.

Just the fact that the team recovered from the forced fumble TD and had a sustained drive for a score was a big step in the right direction.

Overall organization of staying set and not having false starts or defensive penalties.

I think Stewart played better than Obi. He had at least one TFL. But, he's not good in coverage.

Knappe was up and down but it's his first start at RT. He has room to impove but I just want to see how he can progress.

Agree on Bloom. Kid is second coming of Ryan Griffin. Big target over the middle.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's funny, I am FAR more encouraged after this loss than I was after last week's win. Take away a fumble return for a TD and a great play to rip the ball out of Davis' hands and return it for a TD and we have a 24-21 game. UCONN out gained Boise State. Let that sink in a little. UCONN's offense outgained Boise State. This game was very winnable and a good confidence builder for some of our young guys going forward. Next step: eliminate the mistakes (turnovers, blown coverage assignments from Obi primarily, pass protection/blitz pickup, etc) and learn how to win games like this going forward.

Very encouraged with what I saw today, for the most part.

Reaction Score
Speaking of which, was there an uncalled face mask on that play against Geremy Davis, it looked like it to me but I didn't see much protest.

Reaction Score
I agreed, we have gotten better. As a fan, I feel I got my money's worth this game, whereas I didn't the last two games. The effort was there this week.

Whitmer looked better throwing the ball, though he's still not reading blitzes very well. Sure the OL was average at best today, but when you know 6 players are rushing and you only have 5 blockers, you either have to audible or get rid of the ball quickly. So a couple of those sacks were on him. He also scrambled out of the pocket on one play and got sacked when his OL gave him a pocket to step in to. But his throws were better. Significantly better.

Boyle did well on the last drive in garbage time - his WRs dropped a couple TD passes, one of which was in traffic and the other was wide open.

Also improved was the energy. Didn't seem to be more than 25k people at the stadium, but the crowd got loud and was into it. Especially at the end of the 3rd quarter. Though I am not a fan of the GnR "Welcome to the Jungle" song (I feel its played out), adding the husky video + bark was pretty cool. There was also a husky dog on the field (see pic), which I heard it was in the stadium last week but not actually on the field because they wanted to see how it'd handle a big crowd and noise etc.

Looking forward to watching the next game (@USF) then home again vs Temple!

Quick question - what time are they letting people into tailgating? We got into gray lot at 8:05am and we were like 4 car rows deep! Are they letting us in >4 hrs early?

Attachments

• 091314_2_small.jpg
    091314_2_small.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 46

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agreed, we have gotten better. As a fan, I feel I got my money's worth this game, whereas I didn't the last two games. The effort was there this week.

Whitmer looked better throwing the ball, though he's still not reading blitzes very well. Sure the OL was average at best today, but when you know 6 players are rushing and you only have 5 blockers, you either have to audible or get rid of the ball quickly. So a couple of those sacks were on him. He also scrambled out of the pocket on one play and got sacked when his OL gave him a pocket to step in to. But his throws were better. Significantly better.

Boyle did well on the last drive in garbage time - his WRs dropped a couple TD passes, one of which was in traffic and the other was wide open.

Also improved was the energy. Didn't seem to be more than 25k people at the stadium, but the crowd got loud and was into it. Especially at the end of the 3rd quarter. Though I am not a fan of the GnR "Welcome to the Jungle" song (I feel its played out), adding the husky video + bark was pretty cool. There was also a husky dog on the field (see pic), which I heard it was in the stadium last week but not actually on the field because they wanted to see how it'd handle a big crowd and noise etc.

Looking forward to watching the next game (@USF) then home again vs Temple!

Quick question - what time are they letting people into tailgating? We got into gray lot at 8:05am and we were like 4 car rows deep! Are they letting us in >4 hrs early?

My group usually doesn't get there until 8:30-9 but when we pulled into our lot this morning, there were more cars there than usual. I really hope they start to lax on the 4 hour rule.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL...hopefully sooner than later you'll realize we're rooting for the same team. So grow up!

Not sure why disagreeing with you is a reason to grow up? I can root for the same team and think beating yourself is worse than getting beat by a better team.

Reaction Score
Use the ole squeaky wheel gets the grease theory. If enough people show up early enough and make enough noise, cause enough traffic headaches and crab and complain to the right people they'll have to let you in early. Just cause somebody says there's a four hour rule doesn't mean there has to be one. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I rest my case

A quick search for your Pasqualoni support would rest mine.

You know the guy who was so bad we are celebrating a 17 point home loss to the worst Boise team in a decade on their second cross country trip in 3 weeks.

Reaction Score
Defense looked really good....I was surprised with how well they shut down Ajayi...that is no small task.

Whitmer made some nice throws when he had time, but that wasn't often. O-line is clearly the weak link on this team.

Turnovers were the difference in this game, but we are getting better. Cut down the mental errors and give the QB just a little time and I think we can win some conference games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Defense looked really good....I was surprised with how well they shut down Ajayi...that is no small task.

Whitmer made some nice throws when he had time, but that wasn't often. O-line is clearly the weak link on this team.

Turnovers were the difference in this game, but we are getting better. Cut down the mental errors and give the QB just a little time and I think we can win some conference games.

Agree on all those.

The team that showed up against BYU (who by the way is looking real good) and SB had me thinking 4 wins max. The team that played today can go toe to toe with everyone on the schedule except ECU and Cincy. Those two teams look pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
A quick search for your Pasqualoni support would rest mine.

You know the guy who was so bad we are celebrating a 17 point home loss to the worst Boise team in a decade on their second cross country trip in 3 weeks.
Go right ahead and look. What you'll find is my objections to cheap, petty, childish personal attacks against folks in the program trying(not succeeding but at least trying). When was the last time you coached a D-1 football team? What's your record and what makes you so sacred that you can cast stones on those that at least stepped up to the plate and tried? Or is it that your just some hateful little man hiding behind a computer somewhere feeling empowered because he can take cheap shots and nobody is gonna come to your door and make you atone for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom