Get used to seeing this article | The Boneyard

Get used to seeing this article

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
There is no coaching in the NBA, just managing. Coaches who go to the NBA are primarily chasing the money. College affords coaches a chance to really teach the game and influence lives. The NBA isn't for everyone.

Reaction Score
Certainly helps with the "NBA" image and our school. Recruits must be impressed and Ollie is not leaving anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I don't think we have to worry about that to be honest. I am SURE that one of the first conversations JC had with KO when he was planning on coming to UConn was whether he wanted to coach in the NBA. Ollie even said today that he had offers from the Thunder to join their front office or be an assistant coach.

But yes, if he is successful then those articles are going to pop up every year.

Reaction Score
reading the author's twitter now, he's talking money to buy out his UConn contract and that he would rather have Ollie than Izzo. Also saying he would be a big chip to have in hand to go after Durant when he's a free agent.

Reaction Score
KO is smarter than that. He's already very well off unlike a lot of College coaches from his 13 year NBA career... so the $$ isn't as big as an incentive as it is for others... UCONN is going to pay him top dollar with his upcoming extension after this season and he's a husky at heart... there's no temptation. #bleedblue

Reaction Score
Also saying he would be a big chip to have in hand to go after Durant when he's a free agent.

Never considered that angle. Not that I think Ollie would leave, but if I'm an NBA GM and I am in need of a coach, I'm throwing the house at Ollie - not only can he coach, but recruiting has become exceedingly important in the NBA, and you have to think players are gonna want to play for somebody like Ollie.

Reaction Score
Which is why OKC is the place that would most likely want him. They can not recruit people to go there, but they can recruit people to stay there. If Brooks blows it and they think Ollie keeps a frustrated KD there, they might Want to go after him

Reaction Score
OKC wanted him when he chose to come to UConn. He chose UConn.

Now if a team makes a godfather offer to him do I think he stops and considers it? Of course...but he has already said that he turned down the OKC job because he wanted to be closer to his family. That implies that he isn't trying to uproot his family either, and you're not getting closer to Glastonbury while earning millions coaching basketball than UConn.

Reaction Score
Hearing Ollie speak, I do not think there is any chance that he leaves UCONN. He will be here as Jim was here. I think to him it is more than money. It is giving back to the place that gave him so much. It is just the feeling I get when I hear him speak. How passionate here it's about UCONN.

Reaction Score
Hearing Ollie speak, I do not think there is any chance that he leaves UCONN. He will be here as Jim was here. I think to him it is more than money. It is giving back to the place that gave him so much. It is just the feeling I get when I hear him speak. How passionate here it's about UCONN.
your sentiment is what we want to think...
nobody knows that for sure. if the NBA comes calling, it will only get louder.
at some point KO may answer...

I don't see KO going to coach anywhere else at the college level.
NBA? not so certain.

Reaction Score
Never say never. I do think Ollie will give UCONN at least 5 years though. He doesn't seem like someone who would move on without leaving his mark. At 7-8 mill a year I wouldn't blame him though if he considered an offer.

I asked this question in another thread but I don't think I got an answer. Since we are a state school what are the salary limits and restrictions for a coach? Also how does it affect Geno if KO makes more than him?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As fishy said, they are coming for him. In OKC they will definitely make a run at him. And it would make sense for the Lakers, too. I think we have KO for a while and agree that he will not coach anywhere else at the college level, but Warde has his work cut out for him to wrap KO for the next 5 years or more with a payday that keeps KO happy about being here and keeps us happy that he's compensated well enough that we aren't opening up the door.

Reaction Score
imno1 said:
Never say never. I do think Ollie will give UCONN at least 5 years though. He doesn't seem like someone who would move on without leaving his mark. At 7-8 mill a year I wouldn't blame him though if he considered an offer.

I asked this question in another thread but I don't think I got an answer. Since we are a state school what are the salary limits and restrictions for a coach? Also how does it affect Geno if KO makes more than him?

The average NBA coaches salary is 3.1 million. The lowest appears to be 2 million and the highest is 7. So attempt to bring some facts.

Ollie doesn't leave for 3 million. My opinion. And if I learned anything from Shiping Bao it is that fact and opinion are very important...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The average NBA coaches salary is 3.1 million. The lowest appears to be 2 million and the highest is 7. So attempt to bring some facts to your argument.

Ollie doesn't leave for 3 million. My opinion. And if I learned anything from Shiping Bao it is that fact and opinion are very important...
OK you might be right on the salaries but I wasn't arguing.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Squid makes $5.5 million per year at Kentucky which is a state school. What's the most UCONN can pay Ollie?

Reaction Score
Kevin was a nomad in the NBA fro 13 years, alot of time spent away from his family. He still has a daughter in 7th grade. I think family is important to KO, he's going nowhere til she graduates at the very least, he's here for the long haul.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Lakers' fan base and the pundits who cover the team have a sense of entitlement which has in large part been earned by the success and celebrity of the team. The same can be said of the Yankees and as a Yankee fan, even with all of the additions to the team the Yankees have been able to pull off, there were still many who said no while all pundits had articles pre-written on how this player would thrive in New York. Just because someone believe that KO will jump at the opportunity does not mean that KO has the same opinion.

As long as Ollie is successful here there will be stories about the possibility of 'better jobs' being offered. If we cannot deal with this we will have a very difficult time. It kind of reminds me of the old Abbott & Costello joke where Lou says to Bud "You're better off marrying an ugly girl". Abbott asks "Why?" Costello responds "A pretty girl could leave you" Bud then says "Well an ugly girl can also leave you" to which Lou says "Yes but who cares?".

I personally believe that we are safer with KO remaining here after two years on the job than we were in maintaining Jim Calhoun after two years here. I don't believe that KO has signed a blood oath to remain here forever, regardless. I do believe that it would take one incredible opportunity and KO believing that he had fulfilled much of what he intended here before he would consider leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom