Get to know Jana Elalfy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Get to know Jana Elalfy

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good point right here. This has been the night and day difference in Edwards' offensive game this year. Until this season, Edwards would get the position but when the ball came she would sometimes freeze because she wasn't prepared to move immediately and didn't have any moves or shots other than a straight, blockable layup. Now she does. El Alfy already has those moves, footwork, and shots and just needs to learn how to get the position against big, stronger posts without fouling. She and Brady can become a nightmare in the high-low either way.
Well, I noted on the BY that AE, and from the first time I saw her, had both a left, a right leg drop, and an up and under. I complained that it took Liv until her sophomore year to even attempt a left leg drop. I noted that unlike Liv, AE didn't consistently bring the ball below her waist. I noted as well that AE was unafraid to use her body. What she added last year was a face up fake, then back to the basket and spin. What she has now is the confidence to use all these moves, use them at the proper time, and be confident she can score with them. Just as important of course has been her confidence in her midrange game, and her ability to play defense without fouling (especially the silly fouls) which keeps her on the court. My complaint against Ayanna has been she hasn't shown a hint of a leg drop or an up and under. Only put backs, face up shot and the fake. Like AE, Elalfy will have to learn when and what moves to use and at what time. Will Elalfy be better than Amari right now? Not in my head. Let's see how she reacts to bigger, better and faster competition. Let's see how she responds when her pet shots are smacked back in her face. Let's see how she responds when her go to move ain't working. She's not a great leaper. Let's see what her motor looks like. Let's see how she responds to being exposed in practice. Let's see how she responds to criticism. Let's see if she really has a shot. I've seen a lot of really talented players (are you listening Amari?) do next to nothing when given the chance. Let's just see. Show me.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I hope she can learn to pass out of the post like Stewart did. Then you'll really have something.
I'll take a good passer from the elbow in that hybrid triangle Geno loves.

Reaction Score
I’m loving what I see in her videos. Jana with the Kevin McHale fakes. :) Boy, oh boy…when Geno and staff gets a hold of her, she’s going to be a nightmare for teams on UCONN’s schedule. She will have the island all to herself from being surrounded by stone cold shooters (Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme, etc.) Pick your poison.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well, I noted on the BY that AE, and from the first time I saw her, had both a left, a right leg drop, and an up and under. I complained that it took Liv until her sophomore year to even attempt a left leg drop. I noted that unlike Liv, AE didn't consistently bring the ball below her waist. I noted as well that AE was unafraid to use her body. What she added last year was a face up fake, then back to the basket and spin. What she has now is the confidence to use all these moves, use them at the proper time, and be confident she can score with them. Just as important of course has been her confidence in her midrange game, and her ability to play defense without fouling (especially the silly fouls) which keeps her on the court. My complaint against Ayanna has been she hasn't shown a hint of a leg drop or an up and under. Only put backs, face up shot and the fake. Like AE, Elalfy will have to learn when and what moves to use and at what time. Will Elalfy be better than Amari right now? Not in my head. Let's see how she reacts to bigger, better and faster competition. Let's see how she responds when her pet shots are smacked back in her face. Let's see how she responds when her go to move ain't working. She's not a great leaper. Let's see what her motor looks like. Let's see how she responds to being exposed in practice. Let's see how she responds to criticism. Let's see if she really has a shot. I've seen a lot of really talented players (are you listening Amari?) do next to nothing when given the chance. Let's just see. Show me.
JordyG, you're a hard man. I read this post twice to make sure I understood each point you touched on. I can recall the many times in the past you mentioned ONO's refusal to use the leg drop, and refusal to turn over BOTH shoulders. ONO is gone now, but I always thought she had the potential to be a double-double a night player from her sophomore year on. Being a former post-player, I know how important and useful that move and all of the other post moves you mentioned are. A good post player has a "bag of tricks" if you will. You MUST have at least 3-4 moves on BOTH sides of the basket in your arsenal. You must also show ALL OF THEM to your mark as early in the game as possible to make him guess which one is coming next. It's been said that it's a poor mouse that has only one hole to crawl into. You MUST know which move to use and when.

When you have the ball in the paint, the 3-second clock is running. You don't have a lot of time to think or figure out what you're going to do when you get that entry pass. Where/how your man is playing you determines what you do. It has to be instinctive. That comes from experience and having learned the proper footwork.

I too have noticed the deficiencies in Aaliyah's game to date. This year, we are seeing an Aaliyah Edwards that we've never seen before and that we're glad to see. I particularly like the new aggression she has, her willingness to drive to the basket from the block, as well as her willingness to shoot the mid-range jumper from the elbow. She's going to spend a lot of time on the line this year. Few if any opponents will be able to stop her.

Ayanna has yet to learn these things. She will learn. Just Aaliyah has. All things in time. It's too bad we lost Ice this year. She would have helped to fill the gap in the post and given Ayanna more time (off the court) to develop. Dorka being out doesn't help either. If we can stay healthy and avoid the injury bug next year, UConn is going to be "a real nasty piece of business" for every team on their schedule including South Carolina. The salient points you touched on are real and are hard to argue with should anyone want to. I believe at some point, Janna or Ice (or both) will grow into the post-player(s) we've been longing for.

Reaction Score
Wow, what a great kid, what a great prospect.....these 4 newcomers, Ashlynn, KK, Q, and Jana - it all just seems like an embarrassment of riches when added to our already super potent lineup. I think I'm in heaven. :):)
Speaking of heaven, I'm beginning to believe that there are more talented young women who want to play for UConn than I have years of life to watch them. Unfair.
It is nice, however, that we're devoting a thread to a player with a bit of size, as tall folks seem to go elsewhere. With Ziebell's commit, we have an abundance of guards. We also have (with luck) at least 2 years of Azzi and Paige teaming. Nika will figure in the mix, too, next season. As for the other backcourt players, it's gonna be a battle. Hope I'm around to see it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
JordyG, you're a hard man. I read this post twice to make sure I understood each point you touched on. I can recall the many times in the past you mentioned ONO's refusal to use the leg drop, and refusal to turn over BOTH shoulders. ONO is gone now, but I always thought she had the potential to be a double-double a night player from her sophomore year on. Being a former post-player, I know how important and useful that move and all of the other post moves you mentioned are. A good post player has a "bag of tricks" if you will. You MUST have at least 3-4 moves on BOTH sides of the basket in your arsenal. You must also show ALL OF THEM to your mark as early in the game as possible to make him guess which one is coming next. It's been said that it's a poor mouse that has only one hole to crawl into. You MUST know which move to use and when.

When you have the ball in the paint, the 3-second clock is running. You don't have a lot of time to think or figure out what you're going to do when you get that entry pass. Where/how your man is playing you determines what you do. It has to be instinctive. That comes from experience and having learned the proper footwork.

I too have noticed the deficiencies in Aaliyah's game to date. This year, we are seeing an Aaliyah Edwards that we've never seen before and that we're glad to see. I particularly like the new aggression she has, her willingness to drive to the basket from the block, as well as her willingness to shoot the mid-range jumper from the elbow. She's going to spend a lot of time on the line this year. Few if any opponents will be able to stop her.

Ayanna has yet to learn these things. She will learn. Just Aaliyah has. All things in time. It's too bad we lost Ice this year. She would have helped to fill the gap in the post and given Ayanna more time (off the court) to develop. Dorka being out doesn't help either. If we can stay healthy and avoid the injury bug next year, UConn is going to be "a real nasty piece of business" for every team on their schedule including South Carolina. The salient points you touched on are real and are hard to argue with should anyone want to. I believe at some point, Janna or Ice (or both) will grow into the post-player(s) we've been longing for.
If you think I'm hard we should all be flies on the wall at Geno's dailies with his coaches. Ave Marie, gratia plena and hide the children. However, no matter the criticisms any may have with any player currently on the bench, none come close to the project that is Clara Silva, the Portuguese recruit. That young lady is rawer than a bunion.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If you think I'm hard we should all be flies on the wall at Geno's dailies with his coaches. Ave Marie, gratia plena and hide the children. However, no matter the criticisms any may have with any player currently on the bench, none come close to the project that is Clara Silva, the Portuguese recruit. That young lady is rawer than a bunion.
Jordy....I laughed out loud for several seconds at this. :p It's ok to be hard, as long as you're fair and objective. ;) I must admit, I'd love to be invisible and sit in on 1-2 of Geno's coaches' meetings. Boy, what a revelation THAT would be. I'd love to listen to and find out things that are "for your ears only." :rolleyes:

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with "Clara Silva", allow me......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jana is bigger and stronger now than she was in this video. She will be bigger and much stronger, and quicker when she gets to work with Hudy at Uconn, in 2023. (when she gets to Storrs). She will take WBB to a new level during her time at Uconn. I've read that she has the good sense to have Breanna Stewart as her idol. I think she will be a part of the new bigs, evolution in basketball. Not just a point person anchored to the lane but also a bad handler who often makes outside shots, even 3's like Joel Embeed, for the 76ers and Jocavic, for the Denver Nuggets. A new approach for bigs. Get ready.....

Reaction Score
Jana has a good motor. It will be better when Geno and CD work with her. Also, she can jump. Again, she has to be introduced to Uconn standards to really let her flag fly. Geno and CD and Jamelle wil teach her the fundamentals for success at the US D1 level play. The physicality and the speed. But she has the fundamental talents and she played with being a guard and running the floor. Uconn will put on the final gloss, the underlying talent and ability and physical wherewithall is there.

Reaction Score
Wow! 6' 4" with great moves.

And I remember from the first thread we had on her - she just turned 17 in September. As good as she is already, its head spinning to think how good she be in a few years with Geno and staff coaching her up. :D

Reaction Score
I’m loving what I see in her videos. Jana with the Kevin McHale fakes. :)

Jana showing and further developing Kevin McHale fakes and moves for the Huskies. Oh my, oh my...!

Highlight film of the Celtic great - his famous up-down-outside-in double dip pump moves start at around 3:30:

Reaction Score
I don't know. From what I've seen of Essence Cody I think Elalfy may be better. She's a better passer, runs the floor better, has a better feel for the game, is better with the ball, has better post moves, and has quicker feet. Cody has a nice little outside shot though. Elalfy seems to have quicker feet than Amari, and Elafy (unlike Amari or even Ayanna to this point) has shown a little drop step. Whether she's a better shooter remains to be seen. Elalfy certainly seems more aggressive inside when going for rebounds, but her ability to read the ball off the rim or out of the shooters hands is only fair at best. This is one of Amari's problems as well. Elalfy however seems to be more aware of how to use her girth to her advantage, while to me, this is Amari's biggest issue.
One FIBA web page has Jana at 193 cm = 6'4"
I think Jana is likely better than any of the posts I’ve seen for 2023 and seems to be very enthusiastic about being the best. This girl wants to be a dominant player! She is still very young and coupled with her desire and reported work ethic, her future is bright indeed! I don’t know much about when girls stop growing but she may add on another inch or two as well.

Reaction Score
I noticed that the other 3 UCONN recruits Ashlynn, KK and Qadance have their own threads and I did not want Jana to feel left out.
Most of this has been covered in the monthly recruiting thread.
This young lady is from Egypt is 6'4" and is projected to be a most finesse forward at he next level. She came up a guard and still exhibits very good guard skill with the ability to handle and step out shoot the occasional deep ball. For UCONN you can probably forget about the ball handling and project her as part of the UCONN F/Post rotation as a freshman. Let me blunt for a second: This young lady has as much offensive skills as Amari DeBerry, more quickness and has shown the ability to be a dominating rebounder. I would be shocked if Jana is not part of the regular rotation for UCONN next season.

She is not ranked by ESPN and the question has come up many times of where would/should she be ranked in the class of 2023. IMO she would be a top 40 Player in this class and the 8th best F/Post in the class.

Coco, thank you for this. I'm not sure how to read the DeBerry Offensive comment, I assume it's positive. A dominating rebounder would be refreshing. She seems a bit slim for the pounding someone like Boston would give her. (I know Boston shall be pro by then)

Reaction Score
Ayanna handed out some nice assists from the elbo against Providence also.
Yes she did. She's getting a little better every game. It's just gonna take a little time to overcome the lack of competitive size to play against in HS. Once she learns how and where to maneuver inside against size her quickness and strength will separate her and she'll come fast.

Reaction Score
Poor Jana only gets half of her named thread to have posts about her. The Egyptian league is not exactly widely covered in terms of stats and game specifics, but she has been playing for Al Ahly there. It is a strong club in all sports and has a few players who have finished their NCAA careers and returned home to play professionally. Their most recent foreign player was Jamie Nared.

Reaction Score
Jordy....I laughed out loud for several seconds at this. :p It's ok to be hard, as long as you're fair and objective. ;) I must admit, I'd love to be invisible and sit in on 1-2 of Geno's coaches' meetings. Boy, what a revelation THAT would be. I'd love to listen to and find out things that are "for your ears only." :rolleyes:

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with "Clara Silva", allow me......

I think she's in UConn's bag if we really want her. Of course she follows Ines and Morgan but also Aubrey G and ONO. She seems like a player we can use being 6'6

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom