Georgia Tech: the lynchpin | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech: the lynchpin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been waiting to see what Georgia Tech will do. They can't go to the SEC, and the B12 can take 4 better schools than them, so unless they stay in the ACC, the B1G is the only destination.

Tech has to move as soon as it gets that invite, and it can't sit on it, and it can't play footsie with the B1G either. The President and BOT of GT have to have that decision made yesterday, an affirmative response ready in seconds.

Otherwise they can end up like Wake Forest or else the other one or two ACC schools that will join the old Big East.

Thoughts?

What other school is the lynchpin here?

pj

Reaction Score
Why is GT the lynchpin? They are, like UConn, a secondary option for the B1G, a possible partner for UNC. Other schools will have to make their decisions before GT gets any say in what happens.

Reaction Score
UNC is the lynchpin. They must be loving this moment. "B1G or SEC? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm."

Reaction Score
Why is GT the lynchpin? They are, like UConn, a secondary option for the B1G, a possible partner for UNC. Other schools will have to make their decisions before GT gets any say in what happens.

It's the one with the most to lose.

The B1G is talking contract in 2015.

By 2014, all this has to be done.

It will take a 2nd tier school like Georgia Tech to loosen up the others. UVa will jump.

Reaction Score
What are the 4 better schools? I get folks think Clemson and FSU are better, but would you rather have cable access to Atlanta or to Tallahassee and Clemson combined? Or, said differntly, after FSU and Clemson which 1 school provides better geographic and media partner? If the B12 acts like the BIG, they'll put eyeballs sitting on a barcolounger above quality on the field.

The real Qs for me are:

1. does the PAC make a move? If so, B12 is toast (B12 is desperately playing the status quo card);
2. Does BIG want to shore up northeast or focus on SE;
3. what is end game 4x20 or 5x16 (and will 5th have access to playoffs)

Reaction Score
What are the 4 better schools? I get folks think Clemson and FSU are better, but would you rather have cable access to Atlanta or to Tallahassee and Clemson combined? Or, said differntly, after FSU and Clemson which 1 school provides better geographic and media partner? If the B12 acts like the BIG, they'll put eyeballs sitting on a barcolounger above quality on the field.

The real Qs for me are:

1. does the PAC make a move? If so, B12 is toast (B12 is desperately playing the status quo card);
2. Does BIG want to shore up northeast or focus on SE;
3. what is end game 4x20 or 5x16 (and will 5th have access to playoffs)

Miami, for one. Unless a bomb explodes on them.

But one of VT and NC State are not going to land in the SEC. One of them will go to the B12. I don't know which.

The way I played this out, it's GTech and Virginia to the B1G.
UNC and likely NC State to the SEC, but VT could be the choice instead because of markets.
Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT/NC State to the B12.

If Gtech doesn't jump, it may be left without a lifeline.

The only question is UNC. I think they will wait until others start moving. They will wait because they will be OK with the SEC, and they don't need to jump on a B1G offer. This is why GTech and Virginia move first.

Reaction Score
this is a game of musical chairs. one can argue that a real darkhorse lynchpin could be either uconn, cincy, or gasp, usf. if the big 12 or acc were proactive and went out and grabbed one or two of us, things can trickle down pretty quickly. i always felt that if the big 12 invited uconn and cincy, they have the heavyweights(texas an oklahoma) to outlast the acc. if that happened and the acc's saftey net was stolen from them, teams like uva, gt, clemson and the likes will get pretty nervous.

Reaction Score
It's very simple...the lynchpin is....Maryland.

Once that case is settled, we'll have another round of CR. UConn should be in a "top 5" conference by 2015. So if everything plays out as it should UConn won't miss a beat... financially speaking

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech wanted in when Maryland joined. Instead Delany picked Rutgers.

The Big Ten's business model is predicated on footprint schools. Georgia Tech neither commands the state of Georgia, nor is it likely ever to. UGA is by far the top dog in the state, and that isn't changing. Georgia is SEC country- bama, tennessee, the SEC championship.

UConn's best hope is that Delany wants to make further inroads into New York as part of its next move.

Reaction Score
this is a game of musical chairs. one can argue that a real darkhorse lynchpin could be either uconn, cincy, or gasp, usf. if the big 12 or acc were proactive and went out and grabbed one or two of us, things can trickle down pretty quickly. i always felt that if the big 12 invited uconn and cincy, they have the heavyweights(texas an oklahoma) to outlast the acc. if that happened and the acc's saftey net was stolen from them, teams like uva, gt, clemson and the likes will get pretty nervous.

I guess my point is that no one needs to be proactive, no one needs to move at all. So, you look for the weak link, the one who must break first, and that is Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
I guess my point is that no one needs to be proactive, no one needs to move at all. So, you look for the weak link, the one who must break first, and that is Georgia Tech.
But how does Georgia Tech break? If given an invite, they are gone. Only people with options can break. Right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UNC holds all the cards. They can go wherever they want whenever they want. Georgia Tech isn't really in danger of being left out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The problem is that the best home for GT is the ACC. If what we hear is true, and the Big 12 was rejected by FSU and Clemson, then the ACC might outlast the Big 12. The B1G could make a major power move and fix demographics forever with KU, OU, UT and maybe Colorado or Missouri.

Who can hold their league together better UNC or UT? Given that UT drove away A&M and Mizzou and did little to keep Nebraska or Colorado, where are you placing bets? Think how solid the Big 12 would be with those four schools back.

Dodds, in his greed, may have doomed his league. If not for the GOR all the attention would be on the Big 12 being raided.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think there is a lynchpin at this time. I think FSU has cooled it's heels about moving and if they aren't moving Clemson won't either. UNC wields too much power in the ACC and the Tobacco Road schools are too tight to split. I think GT would go to the B1G but they won't have a southern partner. Virginia worked too hard to get it's two major schools together just let them split up again. Texas could be a lynchpin, if only because they desire attention, but won't become one because they feel they can have their cake and eat it too.

I'm beginning to think that reason and sanity are beginning to reign. That is bad news for us, I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, despite a seeming cohesiveness among ACC schools, the B1G and B12 have basically said they want to expand. Some programs will be moving. Odds are we will be one of them.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the best home for GT is the ACC. If what we hear is true, and the Big 12 was rejected by FSU and Clemson, then the ACC might outlast the Big 12. The B1G could make a major power move and fix demographics forever with KU, OU, UT and maybe Colorado or Missouri.

Who can hold their league together better UNC or UT? Given that UT drove away A&M and Mizzou and did little to keep Nebraska or Colorado, where are you placing bets? Think how solid the Big 12 would be with those four schools back.

Dodds, in his greed, may have doomed his league. If not for the GOR all the attention would be on the Big 12 being raided.

The B1G is all about TV. Hence Rutgers and Maryland. They are not looking at Oklahoma and Kansas etc. Forget about that.

I agree that the ACC is best as it is. The problem, however, is that any move dooms Georgia Tech if they don't move first.

I called this the UConn principle a while back. You'd be foolish to risk your school's bank account on the hope that the ACC sticks together. FSU, UNC, UVa don't have to worry. All the other schools do, especially Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
UNC holds all the cards. They can go wherever they want whenever they want. Georgia Tech isn't really in danger of being left out.

I agree UNC holds cards. But you're saying GTech isn't getting left out? How do you come to that conclusion? If the B1G takes 2, SEC takes 2, B12 takes 4, then GTech stays in the ACC with Wake Forest and one of Duke/VT/NC State/Miami.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The B1G is all about TV. Hence Rutgers and Maryland. They are not looking at Oklahoma and Kansas etc. Forget about that.

I agree that the ACC is best as it is. The problem, however, is that any move dooms Georgia Tech if they don't move first.

I called this the UConn principle a while back. You'd be foolish to risk your school's bank account on the hope that the ACC sticks together. FSU, UNC, UVa don't have to worry. All the other schools do, especially Georgia Tech.

So where does Georgia Tech have an invite to today that they are playing chicken with?

Reaction Score
But how does Georgia Tech break? If given an invite, they are gone. Only people with options can break. Right?

The B1g has to move. They will. They'll invite GT. GT will go. And that will be the catalyst.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree UNC holds cards. But you're saying GTech isn't getting left out? How do you come to that conclusion? If the B1G takes 2, SEC takes 2, B12 takes 4, then GTech stays in the ACC with Wake Forest and one of Duke/VT/NC State/Miami.

The only place those 8 teams can come from are the Big East and ACC in your
scenario. There is no way they are ever 9th on the list.

They don't wake up one morning and everyone is gone. The idea that NCSU or UNC or VPI or Virginia can move in a vacuum is ridiculous. They can't move on a whim, the North Carolina state legislature got involved to make NCSU play friggin ECU in football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wait, you want this settled today?

I'd prefer it was. You seem to infer that if GT doesn't move now they are screwed. Well where can they move today?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The B1g has to move. They will. They'll invite GT. GT will go. And that will be the catalyst.

Why does the Big 10 'have' to move?

Reaction Score
Virginia seems to be a better linchpin. If Virginia moves, then the Big 10 can move farther south. They won't take Georgia Tech on an island. Virginia will probably have to move first.

Reaction Score
Why does the Big 10 'have' to move?

B/c they firmly believe 16 is the minimum and they dont want divisions of 7 teams; not to mention they were concerned about the eastern flank, and adding 2 schools was not the end, but the start. 14 is not an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom