Georgia State - funky new stadium | The Boneyard

Georgia State - funky new stadium

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Georgia State converted Fulton County Stadium Turner Field for football. Not sure this layout will work very well....better than nothing however.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The big open space concourse on the left side looks like it is begging for creative ideas for food, drink and viewing options.

Rotate in different food vendors, have some covered bar top seating, etc.

Truth be told, I wouldn't even open up the seating in the second level on the left side unless absolutely necessary. Keep the fans as close to the field as possible.

Reaction Score
They did this a few years ago. It’s fine. Nothing special. The real interesting thing is the neighborhood around it has rapidly gentrified post-Braves move; which is kinda antithetical to what people say normally happens

Reaction Score
The big open space concourse on the left side looks like it is begging for creative ideas for food, drink and viewing options.

Rotate in different food vendors, have some covered bar top seating, etc.

Truth be told, I wouldn't even open up the seating in the second level on the left side unless absolutely necessary. Keep the fans as close to the field as possible.

believe it or not, it’s unaccessible dead space.

Reaction Score
The Georgia State pics look different...maybe the tweet pic was the before rennovation picture...

Reaction Score
I moved to Atlanta in 1980s. The Braves stunk. Sometimes they would get 5,000 fans in old Fulton County Stadium which had 50,000+ seats. By the third or fourth inninng, everyone would congregate behind home plate. By the late innings many would have left and the players could hear everything you yelled at them. It's the most fun I ever had at a major league ballpark.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The Georgia State pics look different...maybe the tweet pic was the before rennovation picture...

Pics look the same to me. Really doesn’t look like they put much $ into this.

Reaction Score
Georgia State has the most third-world looking stadium in the FBS! Our old baseball stadium, or field rather, was a third world beauty.

Reaction Score
The original plan was to knock down the old right field stands. Perhaps they found it more cost effective to just leave them there. I've got to believe, however, that they'll have to do something eventually because they undoubtedly aren't maintaining that structure.

Atlanta isn't really a great sports town. I have relatives there and I remember going to games at Fulton County back in the 80s and early 90s where you could just walk up and buy a ticket 10 or 15 rows behind the dugout. I even went to a playoff game in '97 (the first year of Turner Field after it was converted post-Olympics) versus the Marlins and bought the tickets the morning of the game. We sat in the 3rd row of the upper deck roughly even with third base. I don't think the game sold out. Can you imagine a non-sellout playoff game in Boston or NY?

Reaction Score
The old Fulton County Stadium is a very good memory for us...at the 1983 Peach Bowl FSU beat UNC...my wife and I sat with friends and then went out to dinner...a bottle of champagne to celebrate.....and nine months later my Peach Bowl boy was born.

Reaction Score
Pics look the same to me. Really doesn’t look like they put much $ into this.

If you look at the new configuration..it is much less like a baseball park...the stands wrap around the field instead of flying out the old right field line like the tweet pic.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It looks relatively nice to me. The initial anticipated cost was $52.8M. I'm not sure what the final was. They renovated the locker rooms and added some "state of the art" touches and upgraded a suite to become a broadcast booth. I think it was a good use of an existing structure. I agree that making that dead space into a food court makes a ton of sense aesthetically, but probably not financially or it would be done.

Reaction Score
They average under 20K attendance. How can they afford the upkeep?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Would $52 million by brand new smaller stadium, including land costs? I don’t know, but I suspect not?

Reaction Score
The old Fulton County Stadium is a very good memory for us...at the 1983 Peach Bowl FSU beat UNC...my wife and I sat with friends and then went out to dinner...a bottle of champagne to celebrate.....and nine months later my Peach Bowl boy was born.
TMI.

Reaction Score
Ah the good old days when football fields were awkwardly crammed into baseball stadiums.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hijack the thread from Ga State. Luckily, my school, South Alabama, in the Sun Belt started building our new stadium before all of the virus problems. It holds almost 26,000 and will be finished in time for this season, if it comes off. We are so happy we are out if Ladd Stadium, and are on campus, where football should be played.

Reaction Score
I believe they have played two season at GSU Stadium already. Plus, the AAF had a team. Stadium looks good on TV in the games I've seen. Seems like a good deal for the school to buy the stadium.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom