Georgia Schweitzer (Duke), MD | The Boneyard

Georgia Schweitzer (Duke), MD

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Georgia Schweitzer Beasley - Duke's two-time ACC Player of the Year in 2000 and 2001, 2001 Kodak All-America, and 1999 East Region MVP (in defeating three-time defending champion Tennessee) -- was the first Duke women's player to earn first-team All America honors and the first Duke player to notch at least 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 400 assists and 150 steals.

Gail Goestenkors' program-building and Beasley’s performance on the court and in the classroom led Duke Neurooncologist Henry Friedman, MD, and Chief of Neurosurgery Allan Friedman, MD, (no relation) to begin a program in 1999 targeting academically talented female athletes at Duke (all sports, not just basketball) with interests in pursuing careers in medicine, as part of a unique Duke mentoring program --- CAPE.

CAPE is short for Collegiate Athlete Pre-Medical Experience. The program mines highly focused undergraduate female Duke athletes who have an interest in medicine and gives them unprecedented access and insight into the medical world. The goal is to engage them with mentors, role models, lectures, discussion groups, and clinical experiences so they don't become discouraged in the still male-dominated world of medicine. It is the only program in the country that gives undergrads such deep exposure to the field of medicine.

Georgia left the WNBA and her assistant coaching job at Duke after three seasons to pursue medicine. She graduated from Duke Medical School, and she became a surgical oncologist and researcher at Duke, where today she leads clinical trials in the fight against melanoma.

SLAM just posted a recent video of Georgia taking a break from practicing medicine to show she still has her three-point prowess.

PLEASE keep healthcare workers in your thoughts, wishes, and prayers during this pandemic.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Georgia Schweitzer Beasley - Duke's two-time ACC Player of the Year in 2000 and 2001, 2001 Kodak All-America, and 1999 East Region MVP (in defeating three-time defending champion Tennessee) -- was the first Duke women's player to earn first-team All America honors and the first Duke player to notch at least 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 400 assists and 150 steals.

Gail Goestenkors' program-building and Beasley’s performance on the court and in the classroom led Duke Neurooncologist Henry Friedman, MD, and Chief of Neurosurgery Allan Friedman, MD, (no relation) to begin a program in 1999 targeting academically talented female athletes at Duke (all sports, not just basketball) with interests in pursuing careers in medicine, as part of a unique Duke mentoring program --- CAPE.

CAPE is short for Collegiate Athlete Pre-Medical Experience. The program mines highly focused undergraduate female Duke athletes who have an interest in medicine and gives them unprecedented access and insight into the medical world. The goal is to engage them with mentors, role models, lectures, discussion groups, and clinical experiences so they don't become discouraged in the still male-dominated world of medicine. It is the only program in the country that gives undergrads such deep exposure to the field of medicine.

Georgia left the WNBA and her assistant coaching job at Duke after three seasons to pursue medicine. She graduated from Duke Medical School, and she became a surgical oncologist and researcher at Duke, where today she leads clinical trials in the fight against melanoma.

SLAM just posted a recent video of Georgia taking a break from practicing medicine to show she still has her three-point prowess.

PLEASE keep healthcare workers in your thoughts, wishes, and prayers during this pandemic.

Still bitter about her ending Holdsclaw's career. Awesome to see she's doing great things, thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
Back in undergrad, I ran into the Duke’s WBB team at the airport. I think Georgia was a grad assistant (or assistant coach?) at the time and she was so kind when I asked for a photo :cool:

However, she, Brittany Hunter, and Monique Curry gave me a little stink eye when I told them I was actually UCONN fan LMAO.

But afterward we all had a good laugh. I told them I’m a big supporter of women’s sports in general and I thanked them all for being so kind :D It’s wonderful that they all had/have such great careers!

“In a world where you can be anything...be KIND”

Reaction Score
Congratulations Dr Schweitzer.
Dr Elizabeth Williams cannot be far behind.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Still got it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member