Georgia @ Mississippi St (7) - 1/10/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgia @ Mississippi St (7) - 1/10/19

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Pretty interesting to compare the espnW rankings of the players on each team. I used the 5 players who got the most minutes on their respective teams tonight. View attachment 38151
Clearly UGA has the much higher ranked players.

Thanks for this. Never ceases to amaze me what Vic and staff do to develop these players.

Reaction Score
VolNation is currently apoplectic with another “first” occurring tonight as Kentucky now just won for the first time at Tenn right after Mizzou won for the “first” time last game. If they lose to Georgia, 3 SEC losses in a row has to be a “first” right?

Commentators mentioned several times throughout the telecast that Kentucky had only won 3 times at Tennessee.

According to Lady Vols Media Guide (see page 177) the overall record is 55-11 and 24-3 at home, with last home loss to Kentucky on 16 Feb 2014.

Reaction Score
Vic is playing his starters close to 40 mins yet he continues to press full court?? How silly is that. If he keeps that up without letting his bench get more time these players are gonna hit a wall by mid February and lose two or three in a row. You can tell Big T has had it with that southern TV evangelist and is looking forward to playing in the WNBA where she'll play for a coach with a more modern personality.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Don't play Georgia full press and high low. Lesson learned. Still, I'm glad our starters have the ability to play 40 minutes this year. Their durability looks good. We couldn't last year, and Notre Dame came back on us, and South Carolina beat our fatigue 2 years ago. You just gotta play 40 minutes against Notre Dame.... it's why Louisville came just a little bit short today.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping Auburn can at least make it competitive with Miss St. I know it’ll be tough. But Auburn can’t turn the ball over like they did tonight against Bama.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did not see the game but looking at the box score, 13 O RB from McCowan. What a bludgeoning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
S
Don't play Georgia full press and high low. Lesson learned. Still, I'm glad our starters have the ability to play 40 minutes this year. Their durability looks good. We couldn't last year, and Notre Dame came back on us, and South Carolina beat our fatigue 2 years ago. You just gotta play 40 minutes against Notre Dame.... it's why Louisville came just a little bit short today.

So MS St fans believe that having starters who are capable of playing big minutes and are not complaining about a thin bench? Maybe Husky fans can evolve on this topic as well.

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that Schaefer said McCowan wasn’t wearing her contacts. I wonder if they’re uncomfortable for her? Maybe they should consider prescription googles like DeShields is always wearing.

Reaction Score
AEH in the game
Hadnt seen AEH play in a while and I was impressed. Seems to have grown to understand offense schemes better and was aggressive on defense. Should be a major contributor in future.

Reaction Score
Fun game to watch, particularly if you enjoy high energy players like Howard. Both teams well coached and gritty. I will go out of my way in future to watch Howard play.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
S

So MS St fans believe that having starters who are capable of playing big minutes and are not complaining about a thin bench? Maybe Husky fans can evolve on this topic as well.

Oh I'm complaining about a thin bench too, but not as much as UConn fans.

I do think it's more important that all 5 of your starters play well than having a deep bench. Against Baylor, UConn had 5 starters struggle. The only one that maybe didn't struggle is Collier.

For Mississippi State, in competitive games... at least 3 of our players play well. Against Kentucky, all 5 of our players played well and it was 26-7 in the first quarter, then it was over by the 4th quarter after we left it at a 21 lead in the last 4 minutes. Against Georgia... McCowan, Howard, and Bibby played well. Against Marquette, McCowan, Howard and Holmes played pretty well... and the others made a couple of clutch plays. Against Oregon.... we played well but not so much on defense. And McCowan had a terrible day. Our guards were whipped on defense. But well enough on offense to keep the game close.

Reaction Score
That's twice now that MsSt has struggled on its home floor vs. a team speedy guards but no size. Marquette and Georgia both.
I agree, hot shooting by quick agile guards gives MSST trouble.

Reaction Score
I do like Taylor. She certainly is talented and has showed flashes of great stuff but her inexperience has showed at times in her limited minutes. I think sometimes she tries to do too much and gets sloppy with the ball. Vic is very high on her for a reason. I think she just needs experience and some confidence. This is her first year playing as a D1 athletes in actual games. Not everyone adjusts very quick in year one.

Carter is gonna take time to develop. She will rebound and get blocks but her offensive game has work to do. I think it was big getting that transfer from Ole Miss, Taylor Promise. Who will help a bit with the losses in the post next year.

AEH actually played well in limited minutes tonight. Defense was much much better and her hands were more active. If she can continue to work hard on her defense her minutes will rise. AEH has the tools to be a changer on the offensive end but early on so far her biggest issue has been trying to force shots instead of being patient and allowing the game to come to her. Bibby's shots aren't forced wild shots, she takes shots where she is able to set her feet with good looks at the basket. I do think once she starts to do that, the game will come easier to her but that will be something she will need to work on. The talent is certainly there.
In regards to AEH, what games has she shown that talent? She appears to me to lack confidence in herself and until she regains that I just can not see her starting or getting significant playing time. We need her and glad Vic is giving her a chance but IMHO AEH needs more time in the gym.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In regards to AEH, what games has she shown that talent? She appears to me to lack confidence in herself and until she regains that I just can not see her starting or getting significant playing time. We need her and glad Vic is giving her a chance but IMHO AEH needs more time in the gym.
Your comments are interesting. I’ve been following AEH at MS St and there is a pattern that seems to be recurring. She got off to a nice start at MS St, just as she did in Storrs, and then her production, and PT, appears to decline. She clearly has ability. Confidence can be a fragile thing.

Reaction Score
Your comments are interesting. I’ve been following AEH at MS St and there is a pattern that seems to be recurring. She got off to a nice start at MS St, just as she did in Storrs, and then her production, and PT, appears to decline. She clearly has ability. Confidence can be a fragile thing.
"Confidence can be a fragile thing." So true. This is what separates the wheat from the chaff in the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score

Confidence usually is what makes and breaks players. She clearly has ability.

It all starts mentally, you can get in the gym and shoot as much as you want but if you do not play with confidence and trust yourself, you will have a difficult time having success. This goes with any sport!

I do think sometimes she lets mistakes or bad shots get to her and it stays in her head.

That said I will say her defense is improving and she seems to be working really hard. Her teammates are all very high on that kid and how much she works, which IMO speaks volumes. Hope she can put it together soon, Miss St would be more dangerous with another legit threat from 3 to compliment Bibby

Reaction Score
Confidence usually is what makes and breaks players. She clearly has ability.

It all starts mentally, you can get in the gym and shoot as much as you want but if you do not play with confidence and trust yourself, you will have a difficult time having success. This goes with any sport!

I do think sometimes she lets mistakes or bad shots get to her and it stays in her head.

That said I will say her defense is improving and she seems to be working really hard. Her teammates are all very high on that kid and how much she works, which IMO speaks volumes. Hope she can put it together soon, Miss St would be more dangerous with another legit threat from 3 to compliment Bibby
I agree with you on AEH defense improving. She definitely is more active and playing harder on defense and we both know Vic loves defense. On that alone I expect to see her getting more playing time but her real talent is shooting the ball and that just is not there yet. Funny, more talented on offense, playing better on defense, Basketball is a funny game!

Reaction Score

You misspelled "ass."

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
You misspelled "ass."

Thanks. I'm glad Gamecock fans always look to trash talk even on civil discussion threads. It's gonna fun watching you guys put us down this Thursday, I'm sure you've saved all your wittiness for the right day. :)

Luckily it's in Starkville not Columbia. So come on over, would ya? :):p:D

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Vic is playing his starters close to 40 mins yet he continues to press full court?? How silly is that. If he keeps that up without letting his bench get more time these players are gonna hit a wall by mid February and lose two or three in a row. You can tell Big T has had it with that southern TV evangelist and is looking forward to playing in the WNBA where she'll play for a coach with a more modern personality.
You're the first MSU fan I've seen say anything bad about Vic, but I agree with you; the folksy thing gets on my nerves.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I'm glad Gamecock fans always look to trash talk even on civil discussion threads. It's gonna fun watching you guys put us down this Thursday, I'm sure you've saved all your wittiness for the right day. :)

Luckily it's in Starkville not Columbia. So come on over, would ya? :):p:D

I think that’s my first trash talk ever here. I feel like it was a success.

I was a little entertained by your invention of a new idiom in the English language. “Beat our fatigue.”

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom