Georgetown Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Georgetown Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Georgetown: 5-7
Kenpom Rating: 176 out of 363

Best wins:
  • 75-68 v #213 Siena
  • 69-62 v #221 La Sale (neutral)
Looking at their losses: Georgetown has lost to every game in their schedule ranked higher than Siena.

OFFENSE: 107th in efficiency
  • 2nd in non-steal turnover prevention (5.8% rate)
  • 62nd in average length of possession (16.3 seconds)
  • 117th in offensive rebounding rate
  • ~median in 2p% (50.0%), 3p% (32.9%) and FTA/FGA (30.8%)
  • 85th percentile in highest steal rate (6.0%)
  • 12th percentage in 3PA/FGA (30.4%) and A/FGM rate (44.3%)
DEFENSE: 266th in efficiency
  • 32nd in block % (13.6%)
  • 49th in FTA/FGA prevention
  • ~median at steal rate
  • ~bottom third in opponent 2p% (51.0%) and 3p% (35.0%)
  • 303rd in opponents’ average length possession (18.1 seconds)
  • 313th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 313th in 3PA/FGA prevention (43% of opponents shots are from 3)
  • 300th in A/FGM prevention (57.3%)
1671369509364.png

So, literally every player in Georgetown’s rotation is a transfer, so that’s one reason for Georgetown’s struggles.

I’m trying to figure this team out: why are they so bad? Their starting lineup is pretty good: a bucket-getting guard, a scoring guard with range, a physical two-way wing, a three-and-D stretch for and an efficient two-way center.

1671369533524.png

Basically, Georgetown’s lineups are pretty much the starting lineup, Ezewiro playing alongside three or four of the other starters for ~15% of the game and then another 15% of the game of small ball with Akok at the 5.

The biggest detriment of Georgetown’s defense is their backcourt with Spears being a major negative on defense and Heath also poor: maybe this is a game where our backcourt attacks the rim more.

Hate to sound oversimplified, but I expect a total dominant performance. 90+ points is not out of the question and honestly, I don’t care that we are favored by 26 right now (KenPom), I want this team to push the envelope the whole game, even if the walk-ons are in.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This game kind of scares me (spread wise if nothing else). Both Spears and Akok have a lot of reason to play up. Good thing it’s not at the XL Center or it REALLY would’ve been a home game for Spears.

Reaction Score
I like Akok but I would love to see Andre Jackson put him on a poster this game.

Wahab is gonna struggle playing the futile Manny Bates role of guarding both Sanogo and Clingan for 40 minutes. Akok is toast as a small ball 5 in this game.

I expect a big game from Tristen. Have seen Spears do some bizarre things on defense.

Reaction Score
I like Akok but I would love to see Andre Jackson put him on a poster this game.

Wahab is gonna struggle playing the futile Manny Bates role of guarding both Sanogo and Clingan for 40 minutes. Akok is toast as a small ball 5 in this game.

I expect a big game from Tristen. Have seen Spears do some bizarre things on defense.
This is going to be a really tough defensive matchup for Akok. He does well when he’s in the low post as help defense. He really struggles with man defense on the perimeter and switching/fighting over screens. He’s going to see a heavy dose of that.

Reaction Score
GTown scored 89 the other night versus Xavier they looked good offensively. I tend to lean towards Xaviers defense being somewhat awful for that 89. I do know the 102 that X laid down did show GTowns defense to be inept at best.

Don’t care about Akok and Spears ability they’re not good enough against our defense. Let Spears throw up stuff and just rebound and go. Hate to say and never do, this one doesn’t worry me all that much.

Reaction Score
GTown scored 89 the other night versus Xavier they looked good offensively. I tend to lean towards Xaviers defense being somewhat awful for that 89. I do know the 102 that X laid down did show GTowns defense to be inept at best.

Don’t care about Akok and Spears ability they’re not good enough against our defense. Let Spears throw up stuff and just rebound and go. Hate to say and never do, this one doesn’t worry me all that much.
Xavier doesn’t even know what defense means. Their gameplan is to just try to outshoot you lol

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
This should be a straight up slaughter, sorry GT. Unless Akok has magically improved like ten-fold he's going to get destroyed by our bigs.

Reaction Score
Every game should scare us. The opposition isn’t practice dummies and they will be bringing their A game. But, we just saw we can play like hot garbage on O for 32 minutes and still come our way on top. it’s terrifying how good this team is.

Definitely have a point giddyup. I was much more concerned with last nights game versus the Hoyas game but one never knows. I mean Sanogo had to have an all out amazing game to get us over the hump in many points of the game or who knows.

Agree with this, and this is usually me I just don't think the Hoyas can put up the fight Butler did. But our PGs need to start playing better because the opposition on the horizon is better soon. Newton got to the middle for floaters or mid range jumpers too many times and looked to give up the rock. Needs to shoot it more and actually be a little more selfish in that area. Think he's trying too hard to be a "point guard" rather than just playing.

Reaction Score
This should be a straight up slaughter, sorry GT. Unless Akok has magically improved like ten-fold he's going to get destroyed by our bigs.
My guess is he’s mostly d’ing up Karaban on the perimeter. Wahab will have to take Sanogo. Akok does not have the strength. Curious whether Ewing will try to cheat him towards the post to help because UConn’ passing will eat that alive.

Reaction Score
I like Akok and wish him well. Truth is he would be maybe the 8th best player on our roster if he stayed. I think Georgetown sticks around for 10minutes and then it’s a runaway.

Reaction Score
"Scare"? This game absolutely does not scare me and it shouldn't scare any of us.

Maybe "temper our expectations" is a lot more realistic if you want to go that route.
I think it's more "take the opponent seriously", but that applies more to the team than to us.

Reaction Score
I’m trying to figure this team out: why are they so bad? Their starting lineup is pretty good: a bucket-getting guard, a scoring guard with range, a physical two-way wing, a three-and-D stretch for and an efficient two-way center.
Mostly: their defense is abhorrent.

But the bucket getting guard shoots poorly from 3, the stretch 4 shoots poorly from 3, the two way wing is not a great finisher and doesn't make FTs, and the two way center has been terrible on one of the two ways (defense).

Reaction Score
Not sure why any UConn fans would root against this kid (referring to that post from last night that looks to have been deleted). Well, maybe just except when UConn plays against him.

“There were a lot of ups and downs in my college experience,” Akok said. “I feel like, now, I'm at the point where I can maximize my true potential. … Players want that opportunity. That’s what I have here.”

Alternate free access:

Former UConn men's basketball forward Akok Akok embracing fresh start at Georgetown

Reaction Score
Sanogo should eat Wahab alive, and if Akok comes to cover then Karaban will be wide open.

Keep the guards out of the paint and this should be an easy 20+ point win tbh

I hope Akok scores 20 and grabs 10 rebounds but also gets dunked into the hoop by Andre and loses miserably

Reaction Score
I watched some G'town and it's painful. The worst part is the regression of Akok. He doesn't deserve it. He looks totally lost, a shadow of what we saw at UConn.

Their offense is simply isolation and their shot selection is really bad. Amazingly, their FG percentage is 44%. They shouldn't come anywhere near that against us.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I think Georgetown’s 89 points is partly the results of playing 10 more offensive possessions than they typically play due to Xavier’s fast tempo plus Xavier’s unwillingness to play a lick of defense.

I actually think they will be lucky to get 70 against us ha…

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Definitely have a point giddyup. Needs to shoot it more and actually be a little more selfish in that area. Think he's trying too hard to be a "point guard" rather than just playing.
I'd be happy with him going to the basket, drawing a few fouls, hitting the FTs, and getting himself and the team going early. The rest will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
"Scare"? This game absolutely does not scare me and it shouldn't scare any of us.

Maybe "temper our expectations" is a lot more realistic if you want to go that route.
what he said....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom