Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He just isn't strong enough to play the 5.

That may account for a couple of his fouls a game, but he's strong enough if he just didn't play with such a terrible IQ.

He's going to continue to be a really awesome change of pace bench guy. He's not a starting caliber 5 at our level. He'll be perfect running lobs and blocking shots for 15mpg.

Reaction Score
I can only assume that the ref crew all caught a nasty case of Tourette’s, where the only tick was blowing their whistle. What an unwatchable game.

As an aside, given the proclivity of this crew to randomly blow at any given time, it is wild how few fouls Newton drew. He drew a ton of contact and was held and handchecked constantly. I think he was sitting at 3 FTs halfway through the second.
Totally agree, that this game doesn't do college basketball any good. Over 40 fouls were called. Hard to watch including what FOX does with advertising. Far too many clock stoppages it seems. No flow! But a solid win to have behind us. Strange game.

We need more from our # 5 position when the centers are on the court. Our small line-up needs to block out more. I would love to see a zone from time to time. This might help our defensive rebounding and force a poor 3 pt shooting to do more. There were way too many easy isolations for the many layups shot by GT.

Reaction Score
Newton is forcing too much. He has to go back to choosing his spots until he gets out of this funk he is in. How many times did he get blocked on layups today? It was embarrasing.
He gets to the basket very well on breaks but he needs to look for the trailer more. There were a couple occasions today where he forced the layup and missed, instead of dropping it back to running Castle in the lane for an easy layup/dunk.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If the refs are letting them play, maybe, but the way they were calling it, he should have been to the line quite a bit. It felt like only he wasn’t getting the benefit of their VERY loose whistles.
It may be a reputation thing. Before today he was #2 in the Big East in FTAs. Most of his FTs comes on drives like that where it’s either he’s going to the line or nothing.

I can see the refs trying to not give him that call every time unless it’s egregious.

I’m not sure if him shooting under 30% from the field during conference play affects those calls too.

Reaction Score
All I got to say is that I am glad I made the trip to the XL Center for a solid win. Going to Wilmington Pizza whenever I can get out of the parking lot here. I'm looking forward to contrasting this environment to the AMP in 2 weeks when Georgetown goes to Providence. Yes I am strange like that :D

Reaction Score
Bad defensive rebounding, too many reach fouls and TOs and stagnant offense. Right now, we are living or dying as a jump shooting team. Of course, DC will help but I imagine a lot of box out drills this week. We could have easily lost today to a better BE team. But, we still won which is great!

Reaction Score
It may be a reputation thing. Before today he was #2 in the Big East in FTAs. Most of his FTs comes on drives like that where it’s either he’s going to the line or nothing.

I can see the refs trying to not give him that call every time unless it’s egregious.

I’m not sure if him shooting under 30% from the field during conference play affects those calls too.
I think it was an anomaly, not anything inherently about Newton. It just felt so bizarre. Epps was taking some wild drives with minimal contact and getting a whistle and then Newton would go right into a guy’s chest with a lot more contact and get nothing. Outside of that, I thought the refs were consistently awful for both teams. Just an unwatchable product today.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Supreme was eatin him up
If Supreme can stay in the game, he will get fat on many dinner plates. But he has got to stay in. Cooley did us a favor by not pulling him when he had 4 fouls. That kid can play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is the type of game that will only help us in the long-term should Clingan and the remainder of our lineup remains healthy.

As the small ball 5, Karaban keeps getting tougher down low and is adding more creativity to his cut game inside the arc. You’ll never know when we’ll need a small-ball lineup later this year and all the kudos to Karaban.

Despite his shooting struggles early in the game, Newton continues to showcase his ability as a closer. Love his poise and ability to play in a variety of tempos. He’s a cool guy, but I like his increase in toughness too and personally, it’s fun seeing him yap it up.

Spencer is a warrior. What a perfect fit with this team. Diarra is a perfect 3-and-D bench weapon.

So…who’s #1?
I agree with your comment on Newton he contributes so much to this team. He got under Supreme Cook's skin at the 5 minutes and change mark with a hard (but clean foul) and started his remarks with a big smile after Cooks chirping. The next thing Cook fouls out and still looks pissed off over Newton's foul and commentary just previous to that. He has got poise and then some. Love to see him smiling when the game is on the line and he is called to make big free throws. Very underrated player when adding up all his contributions.

Karaban has increasingly become more vocal and passionate. He and Spencer are on fire out there.
Diarra comes in every game and makes big plays at both ends. Also enjoyed the play again of Castle and Stewart.

They just don't quit and are getting leadership and contributions from more and more players.

Reaction Score
Newton and Johnson have been the overall “losers” in the time without Donovan. Tristen is at his best when he’s able to play in PnR with big Don to start the game- defense picks either getting slaughtered on lobs or dropping to cover Clingan and letting Tristen pull up or get to the rim. When he starts his game in this action every other part of his game opens up. He seems really out of sorts and it’s making him play like the worst version of himself.

Johnson just isn’t as effective when we need him for long periods of time from start to finish. He’s at his best coming off the bench, playing loose and being a disruptive energy boost. He seems totally in his head about trying to stay out of foul trouble and it’s having the complete opposite effect- he’s out of position constantly on D, late to help and committing fouls/getting abused on the boards anyways. Think this role is just a bit too much for him at this stage of his career.

The winner of the time without Donovan has got to be Stewart. Castle has been incredible but he was going to get back to these types of minutes without or without Don, so I don’t think losing DC really created an opportunity for him the way it did JS. Jaylin has blossomed with slowly increased gametime. He was great this whole week, not stuffing the stat sheet but his defense is much improved, he no longer seems “lost” out there, made the right plays on offense to put a few on the board. Generally looks like he belongs.

Ball has hit some kind of freshman wall. Hopefully the staff can help him find a way over the hump. Just doesn’t seem to know what his role should be anymore.

Hopefully a lot of this naturally sorts itself out when Donovan is back. The fact that we’re tied for top of the Big East and have not had a full game from DC in league play is no small feat.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Newton is forcing too much. He has to go back to choosing his spots until he gets out of this funk he is in. How many times did he get blocked on layups today? It was embarrasing.
Although he is almost always fouled and only half are getting called on layups.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Would love to see Hurley do this with Newton one time to wake him up.

Game starts at 5:30. Calhoun calls a timeout at 6:00 to pull Dyson. Lol

And UConn lost anyway.

Also, watching the last couple of minutes of that, as great as Kemba was and no matter how much we all love him, doesn't everyone prefer the precision ball movement of the past two years over all that ISO?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewart got at least 2. 1 on defense and one on offense. I know that since Donny was highlighting him when he got both of those. Donny loves to be heard. LOL!
I was there today and could easily see him give a happy fist pump on the 1st board. He's definitely a kid that understands the value of doing the dirty work. The crowd cheered him as well on that play.

Reaction Score
44 fouls and 63 foul shots in a game is ridiculous.

Love what we're seeing from Stewart. Doing all the little things to earn minutes. TOUGH couple of rebounds.

Ball is in a MAJOR funk. Gotta get his head right. His lack of handle isn't helping, and I think his vision of being a 3&D guy may not be right for him.

AK and Cam did their thing. Just absurdly talented and smart on the floor, both.of them. Cam had one play with a defensive eye fake... loved it.

Newton got his #s but is no leader right now. We can't have him shooting 20% night over night. Selfish play late, etc. Always a good passer, and gets his #s, but this isn't the player we need.

Castle was awesome getting to the line. Made a confident 3. Missed some easy ones, but all good experience. He's growing up.

Johnson is a huge disappointment right now, unfortunately. Fouling like crazy and not rebounding. The two things we need. We need more from him with or without Clingan back.

Hurley going ballistic over 50/50 calls and some good calls is not helping himself or this team. 0 self control. I love it, but it isn't good for us. Pick your spots brother.
Agreed 100% on Newton, he’s playing too selfish right now. You can see it from a mile away: multiple positions in the Xavier game and again today in the game where he just dribbles out of the clock, leading to a contested 3 or terrible drive. Newton is always a bit of a streaky guy and you live with some of his turnovers/bad shots because of everything else he brings. But he’s just not playing well and forcing the issue way too much at times. His shooting splits are bad right now, a lot because he’s just not taking good shots. They need more from him. Good problem to have for now tho. Glad to see UConn string together some wins, but it’s a team they seriously needs Clingan back. Almost hard to believe they’re winning some of these games (not this one in particular).

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Newton will get those fouls in the tourney and that's what matters. He's just a weird guy too IMO, some games he goes nuts, some games you think he did nothing but look and it's a double-double, some games he just coasts apparently. I don't love it but he shows out when it matters.

Karaban and Cam were money in the bank today, again. Gotta love them. Diarra is on fire from 3, not a lot of them but when he goes up - they go in. Total 180 from last year where I cringed at every 3 attempt. Castle dropped one too! Man, he's starting to look very good indeed. If he can consistently go even 1/3 every game that means coverage on him has to be tighter. Jaylin's looking good and I think he'll start earning more trust/time if he has another outing like the last couple. Not sure what is with Johnson, a little slump, tired, I dunno but I'm glad that the Huskies have responded and keep marking up Ws regardless of the lineup.

Creighton could be a tough one, they have a pretty stout lineup. Not sure if we'll see spot Clingan minutes since he was in civvies today, even if he does play I'm not sure if it will have a ton of impact. Nothing I want to see more than a few Ws against them though.

Any time they want to decide to get rid of that damn ice under the floor works for me. Crazy.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East commissioner needs to really take corrective action on the officiating. It hurts the league in the tournament and in out of conference games when non Big East officials call the game differently. The ‘80s Big East and Bad Boys Pistons teams called and want their officials back lol. Also, I understand officials are human too, but if some have long been harboring grudges with Hurley that impact the whistles, it needs to stop. The commissioner and the NCAA need to do better with deciding who gets to red the big tournament and conference tournament games. It’s hurting the game. And though we are biased on the board, UConn is the conference standard bearer. This is not in the best interest of the league or the sport honestly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cook had a monster game. It was played exactly how Cooley would have wanted it played and still GTown was never really in it. Without Clingan. That is why this is currently the best team in the country. I love KenPom and Net, etc, but this is why you have to watch the games.

We were wondering how we'd get a needed basket without Sanogo and Hawkins. We have three guys who can do that, maybe not as well individually, but collectively they are right there. Add in the others who seem to show up when given a chance and we shouldn't be going long stretches without scoring.

We do need Samson to foul less, even after Clingan returns if we want to beat teams with legit inside presence. Gtown isn't that in spite of Cook's game today. He's not normally that effective.

Reaction Score
Stats list Stewart with 0 Rebounds? I know he got at least 1.

Stewart’s contributions didn’t show up in the stats. I’d like to see Ball show up like he did earlier in the season. Kid played great sgainst UNC, what happened?

Johnson’s inability to stay on the floor is a problem, even after Clingan comes back. The staff need to get him in the hoop ICU for resuscitation.

A 13 point conference win against a traditional rival isn’t nothing. Let’s see what the voters think.

Newton was just off today, 0-6 from 3, 2-11 overall. Curious, I though he had really been shooting well lately.
Sorry, I disagree. Samson has been more of a problem on the floor than off.

Reaction Score
Been like that the past couple games. He was playing similar during our slump last year. Led the team in turnovers today because of it

Reaction Score
What they are saying about us. Unaltered quotes from hoyatalk

Pregame:
If no Clingan or Clingan in foul trouble game can be won.

UConn is not as good as last year and are slow and unathletic with Karaban and cam Spenser.

Watching Castle or Newton or Johnson and then calling them slow and unathletic is certainly a choice.

I like the optimism but there is zero shot we win this game. UConn now sees the #1 ranking in site.

I think we have a shot if no Clingan. Two of their starters are slow and unathletic.
Karaban is slow and lacks quick twitch. He’s also very soft. Fielder should be able to run circles around Karaban and dominate him. Can Spencer has a very high IQ and is automatic from 3 but is as slow as molasses. I think Rowan matches up really well with him and can use his in your chest/face defense to stifle Spencer. Their center Samson Johnson is very long and quick but is a string bean. If Supreme can put a body on him he should be able to anchor him to the floor.

Game:
Forgot how much i dislike Hurley. Need to get more ball movement on offense. UConn had one sequence with 7 passes ending with a bucket in the lane.

UConn seems to be lulled to sleep by us. Surprised to be this close despite not being able to hit a 3, and an unkind whistle thus far.

Epps 1-6 and ball dominant. UCONN’s length giving him problems.

The Uconn defensive strategy is obvious...run us off the 3 point line. 3 taken total (none made).

Somebody needs to be living in Karaban's jersey all game.

Yep. Talent disparity is just enormous

G-d, I hate Hurley

Wow - Hurley completely outfoxes Cooley out of that timeout

Have to figure out a way to stick on Karaban.
Most of his 3s have been absolutely wide open practice shots.

If UConn was just shooting a tepid 7-13 from 3 instead of 9-13 it’s a 2 pt game!

Gtwn neds guys who can consistently hit the same 3 that UCONN's Spencer just did

I get Spencer and Karaban are good shooters getting good looks, but even Steph Curry misses. We are little unlucky they both can’t miss right now.

I really wanted Hurley with the Hoyas at one point and was really peeved when he went to UConn. I really don't like him either and I keep wondering if I would hate him if he were Hoya's coach (I have a feeling I still may).

The UCONN players are a lot classier than their coach

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Stewart had some very good minutes. He needs more playing time.
Stewart is a better option than Samson. Certainly goes after the ball for rebounds more aggressively. With DC back I could see a place where Stewart starts to get more minutes than Samson. Hurley kept him on the bench for most of the second half even though he only had 3 fouls. Feel bad for him that he is regressing. Was hoping and really thought we would get more from him with the way he was playing early.

Reaction Score
Stewart is a better option than Samson. Certainly goes after the ball for rebounds more aggressively. With DC back I could see a place where Stewart starts to get more minutes than Samson. Hurley kept him on the bench for most of the second half even though he only had 3 fouls. Feel bad for him that he is regressing. Was hoping and really thought we would get more from him with the way he was playing early.
I actually would like to see us try and start small and bring Samson off the bench. Maybe he’ll stay out of foul trouble

Reaction Score
What they are saying about us. Unaltered quotes from hoyatalk

Pregame:
If no Clingan or Clingan in foul trouble game can be won.

UConn is not as good as last year and are slow and unathletic with Karaban and cam Spenser.

Watching Castle or Newton or Johnson and then calling them slow and unathletic is certainly a choice.

I like the optimism but there is zero shot we win this game. UConn now sees the #1 ranking in site.

I think we have a shot if no Clingan. Two of their starters are slow and unathletic.
Karaban is slow and lacks quick twitch. He’s also very soft. Fielder should be able to run circles around Karaban and dominate him. Can Spencer has a very high IQ and is automatic from 3 but is as slow as molasses. I think Rowan matches up really well with him and can use his in your chest/face defense to stifle Spencer. Their center Samson Johnson is very long and quick but is a string bean. If Supreme can put a body on him he should be able to anchor him to the floor.

Game:
Forgot how much i dislike Hurley. Need to get more ball movement on offense. UConn had one sequence with 7 passes ending with a bucket in the lane.

UConn seems to be lulled to sleep by us. Surprised to be this close despite not being able to hit a 3, and an unkind whistle thus far.

Epps 1-6 and ball dominant. UCONN’s length giving him problems.

The Uconn defensive strategy is obvious...run us off the 3 point line. 3 taken total (none made).

Somebody needs to be living in Karaban's jersey all game.

Yep. Talent disparity is just enormous

G-d, I hate Hurley

Wow - Hurley completely outfoxes Cooley out of that timeout

Have to figure out a way to stick on Karaban.
Most of his 3s have been absolutely wide open practice shots.

If UConn was just shooting a tepid 7-13 from 3 instead of 9-13 it’s a 2 pt game!

Gtwn neds guys who can consistently hit the same 3 that UCONN's Spencer just did

I get Spencer and Karaban are good shooters getting good looks, but even Steph Curry misses. We are little unlucky they both can’t miss right now.

I really wanted Hurley with the Hoyas at one point and was really peeved when he went to UConn. I really don't like him either and I keep wondering if I would hate him if he were Hoya's coach (I have a feeling I still may).

The UCONN players are a lot classier than their coach
You forgot the best one with the guy attacking Dan as a person

Definitely can coach. His dad was amazing and tough as a coach, but not a jerk.

If all you care about is winning Hurley fits that. If you are fitting into a persona of a university that wants to show it cares about its players as people and how they do in school and the world, Hurley may not be a fit. Hurley doesn't come off well in general sit down interviews. Not someone I would want to hang out with either. I really like what Georgetown stands for (mentoring students on transition from school to the world after I'm always impressed with who they are as people and their approach to the world (many of them aren't what would have been a typical GU student 25 to 30+ years ago) and I love this). The students I run into and work with all are people whom I deeply enjoy working with and helping. Hurley runs counter to that mold of human.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And UConn lost anyway.

Also, watching the last couple of minutes of that, as great as Kemba was and no matter how much we all love him, doesn't everyone prefer the precision ball movement of the past two years over all that ISO?
This wasn’t one of our best years on offense.

The starting lineup was Kemba, Dyson, Sticks, AO, and Okwandu (ew). Didn’t really stand a chance to run a good offense. It was like 2021.

2011 offense had much more of a healthy mix of passing and iso ability.

Really just brought up that clip to show how Calhoun held everyone accountable to a standard no matter who you were. Senior leader or not.

Plus, barely losing to that Kentucky team with 2 future NBA All Stars and others with that roster isn’t necessarily bad. That team is probably easily the best team in the country today. They don’t have talent like that in college hoops anymore it seems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom